Menu

MODG? what is this? Henle question

I keep seeing this in the Henle threads.

1) What is MODG?

2) For 1st year Henle... How many units should we do in one year? I keep reading that it takes two years to do Henle 1. How many units is a full credit for one year?

3) Are the online classes necessary for success?

4) How many units in Henle 1 do we need to do in order to take the latin exam in March of 2011?

thanks!

Holly

1) What is MODG?

2) For 1st year Henle... How many units should we do in one year? I keep reading that it takes two years to do Henle 1. How many units is a full credit for one year? Memoria Press covers unit I-II the first year. They sell a study guide with daily plans and notes.

3) Are the online classes necessary for success? We failed trying to do Latin on our own. I'm putting my children in online classes this year - Regina Coeli. What I discovered is that their work needs to be checked and corrected every day. Each day builds on the one before, so they need to get each concept before moving on.

4) How many units in Henle 1 do we need to do in order to take the latin exam in March of 2011?

thanks!

Holly

Good luck!

2) For 1st year Henle... How many units should we do in one year? I keep reading that it takes two years to do Henle 1. How many units is a full credit for one year?

How old is your student? If he/she is high school aged, then you would want to cover units 1-7 of Henle I for 1 high school credit of Latin. Mother of Divine Grace School (MODG) has a syllabus that has daily lesson plans to get through units 1-7 of Henle I in 32 weeks.

Note that Memoria Press also sells syllabi for Henle Latin. They have one that covers only units 1&2 in 30 weeks, and a 2nd one that covers units 3-5 in 30 weeks. These are most useful for middle school students because the pace is slower.

3) Are the online classes necessary for success?

It really depends upon you and your student. If you have no Latin background but you have time to do the lessons and exercises with your student, you would not need an on-line course. If you want someone else directing your student, then the on-line option would be better.

I have the syllabus for the National Latin exam in front of me because my student is studying for the Latin 2 exam this week. I looked at the content for the Latin 1 exam and the table of contents of the Henle book, and it looks like a student would be ready for the Latin 1 exam after finishing the first 5 units of Henle 1. However, the NLE syllabus and the content of Henle don't exactly match up, so there would be a few topics that you've have to look ahead in the Henle book and study right before the NLE, but not very many.

Also, the NLE has a small amount of content (maybe 15%) on culture (geography, history, mythology, roman life). Henle does not provide this background much at all. My son has learned most of what he needs to know for this part through our studies of ancient history, but there have been a few topics we've had to look up before the exam and do some focused study on.

HTH,

Brenda

Regina Coeli - Do they have any catholic doctrine in this course (re: to Henle Latin)?

What about Mother of Divine Grace?

I would love to go with Memoria press but the pace is too slow and I want my 15 yr old to get through to unit 7 in 32 weeks. Both places mentioned above here do that but not memoria press.

Thanks!!

Holly

MODG also has a syllabus for Wheelock's which is what we are currently using.

Another option would be Latin in the Christian Trivium (LitCT) which is what we used prior to this year. My ds did the NLE Intro exam as a 5th grader and scored a perfect paper after completing Volume I of LitCT. He did the Latin I NLE exam in grade six and earned a gold medal (38 out of 40) after doing about 8 or 9 chapters in LitCT Volume II. However, we moved to Wheelock's this year as I wanted a more recognized curriculum. I have found going through Wheelock's has really solidified things for him, and the MODG first year course has moved into new topics that he had not yet studied. At any rate, I believe the author of LitCT has an approach that prepares students for the NLE. I did like it when we used it, but I felt like my ds quit retaining the material toward the end. This may have been a maturity thing, but that with my wanting a more mainstream text led me to switch to Wheelock's.

We decided not to do the NLE this year since my ds did the ACT through Duke TIP as a 7th grader. I hope to have him take the NLE Latin II exam next year and "get back into it."

HTH, but it may have just confused. :tongue_smilie:

Cynthia

Not really but it is recommended in WTM so I was going with that due to the recommendation.

I will have to use an online class due to lack of time on my part. I work part time so from what I hear online class is the way to go because I have my hands full with TOG discussions.

I just figure that since Henle is recommended I should go with that.

Holly