Menu

Questions about "Oil Pulling"

Yes! I use cold-pressed sunflower oil. I had been doing it regularly, but couldn't take it to Ukraine back in the fall. A few weeks ago, dh and I did a detox and I started oil pulling then. Toxins come up through my tongue (gross but true) and ~ 6 days into the detox my tongue gets really yucky. Oil pulling clears that up.

I've read stories about people being healed from some pretty extreme stuff, but for me, basically I think it helps keep the toxin level lower and keeps my tongue nice and pink.

Cold-pressed is best, but really, any oil will work. You do know that you do it first thing in the morning before you eat anything and swish for 20 minutes - right?

Yes I do--thanks for asking. I was thinking of starting tomorrow morning--wanted to be sure I have the correct oil on hand. I just hope I don't gag!!

I know about it , and I have done it several times. I have no idea if it actually did what it claims to do, though, and I didnt really enjoy doing it very much. If it was just 2-3 minutes, could handle it- but 10 or more minutes just was too much to add to my morning routine. I like tongue scraping though- that, I can easily do in 30 seconds.

Cindy, how do you know that it keeps your toxin level lower?

There's no way that I *really* know, but here's what I do know. When I'm detoxing or sick, my tongue gets nasty. When I'm oil pulling, it stays nice and pink. If that is the ONLY benefit, then it's worth it. I like having a pink tongue.

Here's an article that "debunks" oil pulling: http://www.lisabarger.com/oil_pulling_debunked/

It is inconclusive and so I'll continue to go with what I have personally experienced, which is going from a nasty yucky tongue, to a clean pink one.

Well, I tried it this morning! It was not that bad really---until my sinuses started draining!! Wow! I am still blowing my nose!! I could not make it to 20 minutes once I felt the draining--If that is all that it does for me I will be very happy!!!!

Guest Katia
We try strange stuff to be healthier frequently, but I've never heard of oil pulling. Can either of you tell how to do it or refer to a website with instruction?

Yes, please. I have no idea what you-all are talking about. Thanks.

I also have bad gums. I have read on one of the sites that it could possibly help me to make my gums healthier. I am hoping....

The older I get the more open I am to ideas on making my body as healthy as possible---I would have that "oil pulling" was strange in my 20's -- I no longer care if it is strange, as long as it helps!:D