Menu

Commprehensive Guide to Wheelock's Latin--crosspost

Can someone tell me more about this? It was recommended to me on these boards. The price is pretty steep, about $38 on Amazon. I have a hard time paying that much for one book. So...what exactly will this book give me that the Wheelock's text doesn't? Would you consider it a necessity for someone with little Latin experience?

Thanks.

progress.gif

I have had next to no Latin experience (Latina Christiana 1&2 only).

I bought the Comprehensive Guide. Honestly, I think I have cracked it open twice this year. I find really doing-really doing- the workbook has been the biggest help in solidifying the info. Even when we(my girls and I) have not initially understood what we were doing in the workbook, as we stuck to it, it became much more clear. If I had it to do over, I would not have purchased it. my < $.02

hth

Edited by ncmomo3

You can find a preview on Google books that might help you make the decision.

Because Wheelock's is such a grammar intensive course, many people struggle with it unless they have a strong background in English grammar. For many years, the guide was available for free online, and you may still be able to find the older version. As I recall, Dale Grote originally wrote the guide to help undergraduate university students who were having a tough time with the grammar required to succeed in using Wheelock's. When I was in college, my undergraduate first-year Latin professor encouraged us to use the guide as a supplement to the text because so many of us had weak high school grammar backgrounds. The guide expands and explains the grammatical concepts in Wheelock's.

My daughter, even with a strong background in English grammar and five years of Latin in elementary/middle school, still found the guide valuable as a reference. But it wasn't something we used frequently, and I certainly think you could pass on buying it. There is so much grammar information available for free on the internet now that you could easily look things up if your child struggles with a concept. If you find yourself looking up a lot, or spending a lot of time struggling with the grammar, then buying the book might be valuable. Alternatively, if you are using a separate grammar component in your English course, you could ditch that and use Dale Grote's guide instead alongside your Latin course.

Hope this helps. :)