Menu

What's the difference between Conceptual Physical Science Explorations &

The Explorations book is a textbook; it's at a slightly easier level than the regular Conceptual Physical Science, which is a standard college/nonmajors type text. As I understand it, Explorations was designed more for CC Intro Science courses where students have less background in science, but I believe it's also used in high schools. The font and illustrations in Explorations are larger, the material is slightly less dense, it has less historical background, and it has less math. It does seem to cover the same basic concepts, just with slightly less depth/breadth/math, if that makes sense.

Conceptual Physical Science Explorations is comparable to the HS version of Conceptual Physics, whereas Conceptual Physical Science is comparable to the college Conceptual Physics.

Here is the breakdown between subjects in the two books:

Conceptual Physical Science has ~330 pp of physics, 270 pp chemistry, 175 pp earth (includes meteorology/oceanography), and 80 pp astronomy.

Conceptual Physical Science Explorations includes ~340 pp physics, 185 pp chemistry, 165 pp Earth, and 40 pp astronomy.

Jackie

Conceptual Physical Science is actually a non-majors college level text, whereas Conceptual Physical Science Explorations is intended to be used for a 9th grade high school physical science course and is written on a 9th grade level.

Conceptual Physical Science is actually a non-majors college level text, whereas Conceptual Physical Science Explorations is intended to be used for a 9th grade high school physical science course and is written on a 9th grade level.

Actually it's sold by Pearson Higher Ed as well as Pearson School, and it's a commonly used text in CC intro/science courses:

Focused on the idea that the rules of the physical world can be taught using a conceptual approach that emphasizes qualitative analysis, the Hewitt team has created a text that is highly readable, flexible, and hands-on. Thirty-four concisely written chapters allow you to better select topics to match your course and the needs of your students in a one- or two- semester course. Conceptual Physical Science Explorations, Second Edition presents a clear and engaging introduction to physics, chemistry, astronomy, and earth sciences. The authors use analogies and everyday examples to clarify key concepts and help students better understand the world around them. The textbook’s consistent, high-quality coverage stimulates active learning with critical thinking exercises, hands-on experiments, review questions, and quantitative problems. Conceptual Physical Science Explorations is less rigorous in coverage and written more simply than Conceptual Physical Science, Fourth Edition, and directed primarily to college courses where students are less well prepared, and in some cases, remedial.
http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Conceptual-Physical-Science-Explorations/9780321567918.page

The Pearson School website just says "Excellent overview for a 9th-10th grade first course in physical science."

Jackie

Actually it's sold by Pearson Higher Ed as well as Pearson School, and it's a commonly used text in CC intro/science courses:

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Conceptual-Physical-Science-Explorations/9780321567918.page

The Pearson School website just says "Excellent overview for a 9th-10th grade first course in physical science."

Jackie

Yup--you're right! Back when we used Explorations there was actually a bit more in the description (and maybe it exists somewhere but I couldn't find it today) about it being written on a 9th grade level and about the differences between the two books.

Actually, there is a book by the same name under both Pearson Higher Ed and Pearson School, but they have different ISBNs and different covers and different price tags too :001_smile:.

Does anyone know how if the content is the same or not?

Actually, there is a book by the same name under both Pearson Higher Ed and Pearson School, but they have different ISBNs and different covers and different price tags too :001_smile:.

Does anyone know how if the content is the same or not?

I noticed that too. They seem to be different editions.

Yup, the one on the Higher Ed site (stars/lake cover) is the new 2nd ed (2010) and the one on the Pearson School site (volcano cover) is the 1st ed (2003) with a "Media Update." The new edition has more pages but fewer chapters (34 instead of 40), and they seem to have consolidated some chapters and substituted others (e.g. substituted Fluid Mechanics for Satellite Motion in the Physics section, and Nutrition for Plastics in the Chemistry section).

Back when we used Explorations...

I noticed in your siggie that you're using Conceptual Chemistry this year, along with the TC chem course, which is something I've considered for 9th or 10th as well (we'll probably do Explorations in 8th). Do you feel like the Conceptual Chem course covered too much of the same thing, or was Explorations a good foundation? It looks like Explorations covers the first 12 chapters in Conceptual Chem (somewhat abridged), but the rest of the chapters in Conceptual Chem (the ones covering real world applications) look like fun, and the part DS would most enjoy.

I would love to hear how you've used it, especially in conjunction with the TC course.

Thanks,

Jackie

I noticed in your siggie that you're using Conceptual Chemistry this year, along with the TC chem course, which is something I've considered for 9th or 10th as well (we'll probably do Explorations in 8th). Do you feel like the Conceptual Chem course covered too much of the same thing, or was Explorations a good foundation? It looks like Explorations covers the first 12 chapters in Conceptual Chem (somewhat abridged), but the rest of the chapters in Conceptual Chem (the ones covering real world applications) look like fun, and the part DS would most enjoy.

We only used the physics part of Explorations, stretched over a year. We switched to Conceptual Chemistry (instead of using the chemistry portion of Explorations) because I found the explanations in Explorations to be a bit too abridged at times. Also, I wanted to be able to use the DVD that comes with Conceptual Chemistry. Now having used Conceptual Chemistry, I still have the same issues with it as I did with Explorations: it skimps on detail in places, to the point that it becomes difficult to understand deeply enough to apply the concepts (and I have a degree in biochemistry). I also find that the quantitative piece, which is decidedly missing in Conceptual Chemistry, is actually very helpful in solidifying the understanding of the concepts. Using the Teaching Company Chemistry lectures has really helped shore up this aspect of it.

Now to get back to your question. Yes--I think using the chemistry part of Explorations and then Conceptual Chemistry would be too much of the same thing.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Apologia Physical Science. I'd like to do a bit of Physics too, but I don't think I want to do Apologia Physics. I was considering Conceptual Physics -- and then I heard about Conceptual Physical Science & Conceptual Physical Science Explorations. I guess I was kind of hoping that Conceptual Physical Science or Conceptual Physical Science Explorations might be somewhere between Apologia Physical Science and Conceptual Physics in level of difficulty.