Menu

Yet Another Latin Curriculum Question

My rising 9th grade daughter has decided that she wants to drop Spanish and switch to Latin starting next year.

She has never been introduced to Latin, and I have zero Latin exposure.

I've seen several recommendations here, but most seem geared either toward younger children, a family where the parent can learn side by side with the student (I cannot due to time restrictions) or toward someone who has had prior Latin experience.

I need a curriculum that can be self-directed but assumes no prior experience. I'm leaning toward Henle, as I've seen others start their older kids there. However, I'm wondering if working through the summer on something geared more toward primary grades, like Minimus, would help her transition into Henle, or something similar. Would anyone recommend that? Or, does anyone have a better idea? I don't want her to flounder, but I know that I can't sit with her every day to do Latin.

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom!

If you want to spend the summer in the best possible way to make her year in Henle as pleasant as possible, I would suggest using the time to memorize verb conjugations, noun declensions, pronouns, etc., and as many vocabulary words as possible. You won't even need to buy anything else to do it, just use what is in the Henle book.

It is a struggle to keep up with memorizing information while also completing assignments, and I think that is what bogs so many students down. If you can get part of that done ahead of time, Latin will be more joyful. :001_smile:

Why not have her do an online class? Memoria Press offers one for Henle Latin, I believe. There have been a number of posts about online Latin classes, and most of the experiences have been good.

:iagree: That would be the easiest thing, imo.

Thanks, Angela!

The sad thing? I have no idea what a noun declension is. Ok, maybe I do but don't know it by that name.

And this is where the doubt starts pouring in again...

In some languages, nouns have to agree (the same way verbs agree in English), so they're declined to show how they're being used (direct object, possesive, &tc) and whether or not they're plural.

Thanks, Angela!

The sad thing? I have no idea what a noun declension is. Ok, maybe I do but don't know it by that name.

And this is where the doubt starts pouring in again...

You do know what it is, but not what it's called. In English, we add an s in most cases to make a noun plural. We also add an 's or such to make it possessive. Latin just goes a lot further; they have endings for things like direct object and indirect object, as well. Taking a noun and putting all of the possible endings on it is called a declension (or declining the noun.) It is to nouns as conjugating is to verbs.

Latin's not hard; it's just different. :001_smile:

I feel so much smarter just for your responses on this board! :-)

I suppose I DO know what noun declensions are. And if I can learn 17 (or was it 16?) verb tenses in Spanish, I can help my daughter with noun declension in Latin, if need be....

I'm definitley leaning toward the online course. I've looked at MP, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Independent Study versus the regular course? The price differential is substantial, and so I'm trying to decide if the weekly chat with the professor is worth the $400 price tag versus the $100 for Independent Study.

Any experience you could share?

I've tried to have my child do it on his own and have tried the on-line course. I highly recommend the on-line course. One child did Henle with Memoria Press on line and another did Wheelock with the Lukeion Project. Overall, I've had good experiences with both although my child didn't like Henle because of so many translations referring to Caesar killing Gauls which got old. Hope this helps. Cathy

We do Latin in the Grammar course below in the link.

It's incredible, combined with the Scriptures, and no previous Latin needed. The lessons are online with visual and audio help, tests are online as well, support by email or chat. You just need to supervise the process.

Blessings

We did/are doing well with Getting Started with Latin followed by Cambridge. I you want to work through the summer, Getting Started would be perfect no matter which program you follow up with.

I concur with Getting Started with Latin. The text is inexpensive, self teaching, and self pacing. The author, William E. Linney, also has a web page where you can preview the text.

Could a kid with no previous Latin do Getting Started with Latin through the summer and then be ready for Cambridge or Wheelock's?

And by that I mean not complete all of Getting Started with Latin during the summer. I doubt a kid could work through all 134 lessons of Getting Started with Latin in two months. (I assumed one week for each lesson, but maybe that would be too slow?)

We are in the same boat as the OP. Sorry, OP if I'm hijacking! Don't mean to!

Could a kid with no previous Latin do Getting Started with Latin through the summer and then be ready for Cambridge or Wheelock's?

And by that I mean not complete all of Getting Started with Latin during the summer. I doubt a kid could work through all 134 lessons of Getting Started with Latin in two months. (I assumed one week for each lesson, but maybe that would be too slow?)

We are in the same boat as the OP. Sorry, OP if I'm hijacking! Don't mean to!

Very doable. The pace is one lesson per day, and perhaps even a little more than that in the beginning. They are *very* short.