Menu

Has anyone done Physics, Chemistry, then Biology?

I did the usual order - biology, chemistry them physics in high school. I can remember that when I got to chemistry I was confused about how all of this fit in with what I had learned in biology.

I've heard it mentioned that a better order might be physics, chemistry and then biology. Has anyone done this? What were the positives and negatives?

We're currently doing Apologia physical science. From what we've seen, we'd like to continue with this publisher as my daughter is enjoying the science, but that is subject to change.

For Physics - Saxon - they recommend that the student has completed at least the first half of their Advanced Math. That's a problem since we won't be beginning Adv. Math until next year, which is the year we would be doing physics. Is it enough to do these concurrently, or does the more advanced math show up at the beginning of the physics book and she'd be put on hold?

Is there any reason to do both Apologia physics and Saxon? Would doing Apologia first eliminate the problem of not having done enough math first. I should also say that as of now, we'd like to do two years of biology - regular biology followed by the human body text (Apologia). With this schedule, there really isn't room for two years of physics, unless I make one count for science, and the other for math.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :001_smile:

The sequence you describe makes great sense! We did Hewitt's Conceptual Physics in 8th followed by chemistry and then AP Biology followed by physics (trig based). The chemistry before biology was a huge help! I would use this sequence again in a heartbeat.

The tricky part for you might be the books you are considering for physics. Saxon does get into the calculus and advanced math early in the book and would never work prior to advanced math and is best after a semester of calculus, imho. I am not familiar with Apologia. And, perhaps the physical science course you are doing is sufficient allowing you to move to chemistry then biology....I do know some physical science books do provide a solid foundation in physics and chemistry allowing a student to be prepared for the follow up course.

Good luck!

Mary

This is what we do. You can replicate this idea without having to do hard core physics and chemistry with a young high school student but doing a solid (high school level) physical science course in 8th grade. So the sequence might look like:

8th: physical science (physics then chemistry)

9th: geology or biology

10th: biology or physics (but this may be a bit premature for physics in terms of the math required)

11th: physics or chemistry (if physics was done in 10th)

12th: chemistry or advanced elective

Thank you Jan for sharing your experience. She has had some trigonometry - well as much as they cover in Saxon Algebra II. I looked at Apologia's site, and they say their course is geared towards 11th grade, but is recommended for 10th - 12th grade. Kim, I think Algebra II is usually considered 11th grade math, so I think she may be okay with this. I'd love to be able to flip through the book - not enough pages given online ...

Mary, thanks for the heads up on Saxon physics. It sounds like that would be best taken after she completes at least half of the advanced math. I'm thinking - at this point anyway - Apologia physics next year along with advanced math, and then Saxon physics the next year as her math class, along with Apologia chemistry. This would give her another year before advancing to Calculus, which might be a good thing anyway because I have no idea where we'd go from there math wise.

Thank you Kai for sharing your thoughts. As I'm thinking this through, ours might end up (emphasis on "might") :tongue_smilie: looking something like this:

8th - Apologia Physical science

9th - Apologia Physics

10th - Apologia Chemistry

11th - Apologia Biology

12th - Apologia Human body

It just seems to me that with what she's been learning in physical science would naturally flow into physics better than biology.

Thank you for all the input. Would love to know if anyone has done this and how it's worked out! :001_smile: