Menu

Christian Liberty Press - anyone use this?

Wee Pip

Anyone use Christian Liberty Press? Love it, hate it? I'm just mildly curious:) Also, I noticed that they use BJU or Abeka for their English/Language Arts - but only the workbook. How do they do this? Does CLP have its own teacher's manual that goes with this? I've often heard that you shouldn't use BJU's English workbook without the teacher's guide, because you're missing out on some of the practice and instruction. Also since the writing assignments seem to be mixed in with BJU and Abeka's workbook, are you missing out on critical teacher instruction?

My boys have enjoyed their Nature readers, but found most of their other materials to be below grade level. We used their Streams of Civilization ( high school level) books in conjunction with Veritas Press card in 2nd and 3rd grade. I did not feel that it digs deep enough or covers the material as well as most other publishers.On the whole, we do not like their products.

We love their Bible program and their elementary history and science readers. I'm not a fan of "Streams" (high school history text) though.

Their elementary stuff is very, very good. In face, their Bible series is one of my top recomendation for individual or family studies.

We used Adventures in Phonics to teach my ds to read and it really worked. It took him from recognizing letters ala Letter Factory and reading one or two Bob Books to reading all short vowel, all digraphs, many sight words, and really understanding the way reading works. It also helped me to teach him handwriting as it teaches letters in the beginning. We used the TM and the charts.

2/3 of the way through my son maxed out and in retrospect I probably could have taken a short break and then come back to it. But I took a long break and then when I brought it out again my son broke down in tears- which was weird because he never minded doing it. At this point I felt it would just be a better use of my energy to start with something else just because it would be something else.

Then- the book was still sitting there and he said he missed it and wanted to go back to it! Kids are so weird.

We LOVE their kindergarten readers. This year I've used Classical Curriculum Workbooks, Explode the Code, and Hooked on Phonics and the CLP K readers were a wonderful go-along or supplement to these. They move fast, and I do think your dc will also need other reading practice though.

The Nature Readers are great, and I've read a few of the biographies.

Overall they're okay to buy certain subjects. I also had a copy of the first grade spelling and it looked very clear and easy to use, but was advanced.

I don't think the education is lacking compared to ps, but I think especially with history that most homeschoolers can do better, for a similar price.

It's a great idea to pick and choose the things that get good reviews or fit your niche. If I were ever to use CLASS I would probably be very happy with everything except history which I would hate. It's just too basic and American-ized.

I think the elementary science and history are excellent and am super happy that they are included in Heart of Dakota curriculum. The history books for this level read like a story.

I have not seen the Bible or phonics.

We really didn't like Streams, and I personally feel that it is too mature for a 2nd 3rd grader, and wonder why it is used in MFW elementary program. I have heard of other moms that really disliked that too. But we are all different.

We enjoy their nature & history readers. We've used the history readers below grade level. And the nature readers were grade-appropriate, I thought. My DD is reading CLP's 3rd Nature Reader right now (she is 8 and in 3rd grade) and finds it an easy but enjoyable read.

We also really enjoyed American Pioneers and Patriots.

The only book I have not enjoyed has been Exploring American History. I thought it profoundly boring.

They publish "Studying God's Word" for Bible, right? If so, then yes, we use one of their products and like it very much. We're using SGW B this year and plan to continue to level C next year. I have friends using other levels of SGW who are also very pleased with the depth and quality, though the books do look a little dry and dated.

Oh yes we've used their products . I used the Hearts and Hands book for my 2nd daughter for preschool . Liked it and it kept her busy . Love the Nature Readers :>) We have the 1st grade reader Meeting New Friends and that made a good reader for practicing reading . Love their spelling . After trying many I think their's is very good . It is a little on the advanced side . But that's okay with me :>) I think its easy to use and very effective .

I've also used their phonics program . It can be alot of work for 1st so I always split the workpages up . But again very good and very effective .

We have the K history , good , advanced though for K and 1st grade science Our Father's World . A little on the boring side BUT the pictures in there are beautiful and my girls didn't seem to mind it at all . They still pull it out from time to time .

As for the Grammar I use the abeka grammar all on its own without a teacher's manual and there is actually plenty in the workbook by itself that you don't need it . Its very easy for the student to use . Has all the explanation you would need in the workbook and all I do is explain it to my girls and let them go at it :>) I would think that the BJU grammar may need the manual . But I maybe wrong I haven't used their grammar enough to tell .

We're going to use Christian Liberty's Bible this year . I've heard it is very good .

Over all I've used bits and pieces of their curriculum and have been happy so far with everything we've used .

Also, I noticed that they use BJU or Abeka for their English/Language Arts - but only the workbook. How do they do this? Does CLP have its own teacher's manual that goes with this? I've often heard that you shouldn't use BJU's English workbook without the teacher's guide, because you're missing out on some of the practice and instruction.

Since this hasn't been answered yet, I'll give it a go.

I have used the ABEKA science with ABEKA's teacher book, and I have used it with the CL answer key. The ABEKA teacher book is packed with all kinds of additional stuff (that I didn't use). The CL answer key has just the answers to the comprehension checks and chapter check-ups. CL also makes their own tests (simple multiple choice). The CL answer keys are much less expensive also.

She started it in K and used it up until she was 6th grade or so. They put her in ps and she tested a year ahead, so she moved from 6th to 8th grade. She is a very smart girl with a very organized, rigid mother. It seemed to have worked well with their family. She homeschooled at my home for about a month while the mom was working. It looked a little dry to me, but not as dry as some others I have seen.

I have another friend who was friends with said family and she used it with her kids on the mom's recommendation, using the umbrella program they have. The mom told me she felt so weighed down by it that they just slugged through the last semester of it and her kids didn't enjoy it. I think it was because they were on CLP's time schedule for finishing and it became too cumbersome, plus she had 3 kids. YMMV.

Teresa

Some of their materials are standard in our homeschool! I really like the simple and straightforward approach of their readers and taught 5 of my dc so far to read using their 4 books. I also like the Nature Readers and Story of Inventions. My elementary-aged dc use read and narrate a section daily.

I've gone back to Streams of Civ. Vol. I for our ancient history spine for middle school. I like Vol. I far better than Vol. II because of the way it integrates Biblical and secular history.

HTH,

Lisa

I'll add that my brother homeschooled through CLASS from 4th grade through High School. He graduated through their program and had no problems going to college. He graduated head of his class and is the lead graphic designer at a magazine publishing company. (Hee Hee, There's my brag moment). I think he had a fine education. My Mom always said that CLASS and CLP are kinda what you make of it. It is bare-bones enough that you can add whatever you want to it without feeling over-committed or you can leave it as it and still hit all the basics.