Menu

Catholic School Kicks Out Child of Gay Parents

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22769137/detail.html

You can read the priest's blog at http://www.fatherbillsblog.com/.

My personal opinion (keeping in mind I am not Christian and don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with being gay) is that the woman who said that, according to Christian doctrine, everyone is a sinner and they aren't checking to see whether people are using birth control before allowing their child into the school is right.

Tara

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand about the whole situation is, why on earth would they punish the child for the perceived sin of the parents? Are they really judging their students based on what the parents do on their own time? Also, since they do see homosexuality as sinful, you'd think they'd be glad to have the child in a religious environment for at least part of the day. (I don't agree that homosexuality is sinful or aberrant, btw, just trying to get inside their heads.)

Yeah, basically it's discriminating against the kid because of who her family is. Nice Christian values. I would think, at the least, the school would welcome the girl so that they could show her the error of her parents' ways ... ;)

Would they ever do this to a child whose parent was an alcoholic, drug addict, murderer, etc?

Tara

Better stick to getting inside this one guys head bc "they" dont all agree with this idiot.

He claims its bc divorced people arent celebrating divorce but these people are celebrating their sinful union.

I have to say I know TONS of people who have absolutely celebrated the heck out of their divorces and enjoyed the dating scene afterward so his logic seems eminently flawed. at best.

Baloney. disgusting.

Im catholic. I hate this element of the church. Rest assured there IS a progressive arm of the church and it gets no publicity.;)

So I wonder if they are kicking out all the kids of divorced and remarried folks as well.

http://ncronline.org/news/justice/teaching-disordered And here is a progressive catholic newspaper on this issue. It is sad that with the hierarchy covering up horrific child abuse by priests with the collaboration of the bishops in many cases, the progressive branch is the new dirty little secret.

I appreciate the way he thinks, and the way he struggles honestly to balance love and truth.

I also really, really love his sermon of February 7. It sounds very Lutheran to me, which is, IMO, a compliment.

Regarding the issue at hand, I think that it is weird that the couple in question wants their child to attend this school. They would not ever be comfortable or even welcome at parent events. Their child would be taught that they are not really a family in God's view. Why would they want this for their child?

Better stick to getting inside this one guys head bc "they" dont all agree with this idiot.

True. I can't imagine that the Archdiocese would allow this to happen to a child whose parent(s) committed other sins, though. Gay people are one of the last groups that it's ok to openly discriminate against. (I realize that not everyone thinks it's ok, but people are a lot more willing to publicly discriminate against gay people than they are people of color, for example, even if privately they are prejudiced.)

Tara

Regarding the issue at hand, I think that it is weird that the couple in question wants their child to attend this school. They would not ever be comfortable or even welcome at parent events. Their child would be taught that they are not really a family in God's view. Why would they want this for their child?

Perhaps it's the best school in the area. They might also be Catholics with a more liberal view of things, and didn't realize this would happen.

Why would they want this for their child?

Yeah, I wouldn't do it, but to claim that the decision was made to protect the child is preposterous. If the parents feel that the school is the right place for their child, it's not the school's place "protect" the child from that. I think the other reason they gave, to protect the teachers from being uncomfortable, is probably more the real reason. I am sure they feel no qualms about telling kids divorce is bad even if there are kids of divorced parents in the class, and even if the kids' parents are at home telling them that divorce (or birth control, or what have you) is just hunky dory.

Tara

I appreciate the way he thinks, and the way he struggles honestly to balance love and truth.

I also really, really love his sermon of February 7. It sounds very Lutheran to me, which is, IMO, a compliment.

Perhaps what you have come to know as Lutheran is in fact quite catholic.;)

Yeah, I wouldn't do it, but to claim that the decision was made to protect the child is preposterous. If the parents feel that the school is the right place for their child, it's not the school's place "protect" the child from that. I think the other reason they gave, to protect the teachers from being uncomfortable, is probably more the real reason. I am sure they feel no qualms about telling kids divorce is bad even if there are kids of divorced parents in the class, and even if the kids' parents are at home telling them that divorce (or birth control, or what have you) is just hunky dory.

Tara

Now this is no better than what the priest has done, is it? How would you know what the teachers at this particular school feel or teach? This is 2010. All teachers have seen divorce, many first hand and many are able to deal very sensitively with the issue while remaining in firm communion with church teaching.

Perhaps what you have come to know as Lutheran is in fact quite catholic.;)

We Lutheran do confess that we are part of 'one holy, catholic, and apostolic church.' We have always regarded ourselves as part of the Church Catholic. However, the focus on salvation through God's free gift regardless of what we do is not something that is an area of emphasis for any of my RC friends, nor in any RC sermon that I have ever heard (I'm thinking about 15 or so). And my sister, who converted to RC a few years ago, has repudiated that teaching now as a result of her RCIA classes. So I'm thinking that he is out of the RC mainstream in that sermon, perhaps. Or maybe I'm wrong about that. But I really, really liked it, regardless.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

Now this is no better than what the priest has done, is it? How would you know what the teachers at this particular school feel or teach? This is 2010. All teachers have seen divorce, many first hand and many are able to deal very sensitively with the issue while remaining in firm communion with church teaching.

I didn't claim to know what the teachers are think or feel. My use of "they" means the priest who made the decision and the archbishop who apparently supports it. I'm taking issue with the reasoning that those particular people used, not with anyone associated with the school.

From the blog:

The policy of the Catholic school system is also to protect the teachers from being forced – in our own schools – to face huge conflicts within the classroom, so they can teach clearly, and also support the family life of the children they are teaching. According to our Archbishop this policy is good for the lesbian parents, for their child and also for our teachers and our school.

He goes on to claim that if someone were publicly promoting divorce, they would have the same problem. I have to say that I doubt they would kick the child out over it.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

Interesting issues.

I respect his writing and the standing on his understanding of his responsibilities.

I can't, ultimately, agree, however. I don't believe homosexuality or divorce to be sin, so his arguement fails IMO.

My brothers and sisters, our school is a Catholic school and our teaching on the sanctity of marriage is as clear as a bell.

People who are divorced do not say divorce is good. There are no pro-divorce parades. Divorce is a tragedy for everybody.

Yet another example of elevating paper over actual relationship. "Divorce" isn't a tragedy. Failed relationships are. A paper divorce may or may not happen.

While I don't agree on a spiritual, theological or human level with the considering same sex partnering is a sin, I think Christian settings are a known quantity. The moms had to know this was a possible reaction. I would not want my preschool aged child exposed to children and an institution I knew might be hostile to my very relationship!

The point of birth control is valid. Or gossip, gluttony, etc.

In rereading your post I guess I can see what you say you meant but you seem to be concerned that the teachers wouldnt be comfortable, which implied to me that you meant the teachers were saying "divorce is bad" (which is a grossly simplistic statement at best and not actually representative of catholic teaching at all.

In fact Id rather suspect that the other parents were uncomfortable rather than the teachers.

I also imagine there will be a backlash of progressives or even just typically compassionate catholics who feel the child was mistreated.

Tara

It may not be his only motivation, but I'm sure that it's one of them at least. This is a parochial school, not a public institution. They must decide whether or not their applicants will fit into their community. It is not a parent's school nor yet a public school. It's not a private school in the usual sense of the word, either.

Whether or not the teachers feel comfortable, the fact is that they will need to teach the RC views of family life, and if this child has two mothers she will be so completely defined as living in a non-family or even a bad family that it would be very detrimental to her. The teachers have to teach that whether or not it is easy or comfortable. It is the teaching of their church.

This school is not a good fit for that family.

:iagree:

It was a courageous action on the part of the priest. Kudos to him.

I cannot imagine any Catholics, liberal or otherwise, not knowing what the Church teaches and thinking the diocese would overlook their lifestyle choices.

I think the school could very well be doing it to try to protect the child.

Look at the following scenario. The child is in class when the teacher reads a book about families. They talk about how kids have a mommy and daddy or what have you. Then this child talks about his two moms. What are the teachers supposed to do? If they don't say anything, they have left the impression with the other students that that is okay, when it isn't by the beliefs of the church. If they say something about it not being okay within the church, then they have just told that child that his family is not okay... That would be devastating for the child as well. I think the "best school" isn't just one that might offer the best academics, but it has to be a school where the child isn't going to be hurt by beliefs being so different from his family's that it is bound to cause him confusion. I really think they should have looked into the beliefs of the church etc., prior to enrolling the child. I don't think it has anything to do with "punishing the child," just the opposite in fact. I think it is protecting him from unnecessary hurt.

I think the school could very well be doing it to try to protect the child.

Look at the following scenario. The child is in class when the teacher reads a book about families. They talk about how kids have a mommy and daddy or what have you. Then this child talks about his two moms. What are the teachers supposed to do? If they don't say anything, they have left the impression with the other students that that is okay, when it isn't by the beliefs of the church. If they say something about it not being okay within the church, then they have just told that child that his family is not okay... That would be devastating for the child as well. I think the "best school" isn't just one that might offer the best academics, but it has to be a school where the child isn't going to be hurt by beliefs being so different from his family's that it is bound to cause him confusion. I really think they should have looked into the beliefs of the church etc., prior to enrolling the child. I don't think it has anything to do with "punishing the child," just the opposite in fact. I think it is protecting him from unnecessary hurt.

I agree with you in one sense but in another wonder if many public schools are as sensitive as you'd like in this regard. My guess is, from reading christian HSing posts for 5 yrs, that most parents would want the old fashioned family to be defined as FAMILY. And when an alternative is presented christians get up in arms.

As for asking a diocese to overlook their lifestyle choices, the diocese is not in charge of overseeing your choices as a catholic.

They must decide whether or not their applicants will fit into their community.

And apparently they did, because they accepted the child into preschool this year. They will not allow her to return next year for Kindergarten.

Tara

I was reading the comments on the priest's blog and a commenter made another good point: How many non-Catholic children go to the school? Surely their parents aren't living in accord with Catholic doctrine ... they're not even Catholic! Are all those kids going to be kicked out?

Tara

And apparently they did, because they accepted the child into preschool this year. They will not allow her to return next year for Kindergarten.

Tara

And I disagree with it. They should have caught this before the child ever matriculated. It's very hurtful to manage it in this way.

I wonder whether the original application was clear about the family structure? The application to preschool, I mean?

If it was clear and they are now changing their minds, that's very bad.

I still think the school is a bad fit, but they should have been consistent from the start. If they were not, that's not good at all.

I was reading the comments on the priest's blog and a commenter made another good point: How many non-Catholic children go to the school? Surely their parents aren't living in accord with Catholic doctrine ... they're not even Catholic! Are all those kids going to be kicked out?

Tara

It's one thing not to be in accord with all the doctrines. It's quite another to assert a right to a different life style that is unacceptable under those doctrines.

Next year my DD may attend a Catholic high school. This is quite a challenge for me at many levels, but I certainly don't expect them to teach her that Lutherans are just like Catholics, or that we might be right and they might be wrong. And I don't expect her to debate those pesky disagreements in class.

Nor would I expect that I would be viewed the same way as a Catholic mom in their decisions about leadership and such. And I know that she would have better chance for admission if we were Catholic. I accept that. I'm not going to go against my beliefs to make that happen, but I do accept it. If they turn us down because of who we are, I will respect that. I won't even resent it.

Parochial schools have the right and the responsibility to be who they are.

In the same way that if I taught, say, a homeschooling class on Christian studies, I would make it a Lutheran class and let the chips fall where they may, I don't expect any denominational school to change their teachings or admissions practices based on the broader society.

I cannot imagine any Catholics, liberal or otherwise, not knowing what the Church teaches and thinking the diocese would overlook their lifestyle choices.

I agree. I'm not buying for a minute they hadn't a clue that this could happen or even that it was likely.

I know several families where the parents are gay and the kids have happily attended Catholic school.

I went to a Catholic girls' school for 6 years in the seventies and many of us weren't Catholic -- some weren't Christian. I know I always felt welcomed.

I believe that a church should be able to teach from their point of conscience. They are going to teach a certain way. Abortion is wrong, God's design for marriage is a man and a wife, marriage is to be forever...without divorce. etc. I would not want my children taught the things I've mentioned... and more.... if I didn't believe them. It's really the parents pitting their choice of school... against their child.

It's not the same as BC and other such "private matters". The priest put on their that if parents were protesting for divorce, that their family would be dismissed as well. I mean... look at the Catholic Church, of which the school is a ministry, they can do different "Church Discipline" based on their beliefs... which you submit to while attending..

And.. when I read the blog, I read humility.... and not pride.

That's my opinion.

Why did the parents want their child to go to a school that would conflict with their values in the first place? That seems rather strange to me. I can't imagine any of the few gay families that I know sending their kids to a highly religious school like that, it would just cause too many problems for their kids. I only know a handful though and none of them are religious so I am sure that comes into play.

We are a gay family and we did send our older daughter to a parochial school for kindergarten. At the time, it seemed like the best option. We are Episcopalian, though my partner was born and raised Catholic. The school was very 'old school' and was associated with a convent. We were open about our family and we had no problems enrolling. I don't believe our family caused any kind of scandal and everyone was very friendly to us, including the elderly nuns who taught there.

Ultimately, however, I was unhappy about the education... my daughter was already reading very well and doing math and she was just expected to sit there and be told that the 'letter of the day' was "t". It was just a waste of time for her. There was also some political and religious stuff that my daughter came home with that I wasn't expecting. It certainly brought up some interesting discussions I was never expecting to have with a 5 yr old.

So we did pull her out after a semester because it wasn't a good fit. But the issue had nothing to do with our family structure and certainly nothing to do with any conflict of "values". Both the school and our family have a strong value system that include respect for all people, spiritual growth, safety of our children, service to the community, quality education...

Edited by Momling

The priest's theology is bad too bc in the catholic church there is no divorce.;) The tragedy is the suffering but the divorce is nonexistent in the eyes of the church.

Not quite. The Church recognizes that there may be cause for a legal divorce, but it does not release the husband and wife from their marriage covenant. I could legally divorce and still receive the Eucharist. However, if I were to remarry, I would be refused (if they knew, but regardless I would be in mortal sin.)

I am sorry for the child and sorry for the family. I have never understood how everyone is one of God's children----unless you are gay or divorced then not so much? Seems like a double standard to me, if you are what WE think God would love and forgive then you are good, if not I guess its the burning gates for you. I dont' think so. I hope this family finds a place where they all feel welcome reguardless of family structure.

I have never understood how everyone is one of God's children----unless you are gay or divorced then not so much? Seems like a double standard to me

The Bible does not say that we are all His children. It says that we are all His creation and become His children by believing in and receiving His son.

John 1:12 (New King James Version)

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

I hope this is helpful. :)

Not quite. The Church recognizes that there may be cause for a legal divorce, but it does not release the husband and wife from their marriage covenant. I could legally divorce and still receive the Eucharist. However, if I were to remarry, I would be refused (if they knew, but regardless I would be in mortal sin.)

Right, so essentially there is no divorce. Like I said.

The Bible does not say that we are all His children. It says that we are all His creation and become His children by believing in and receiving His son.

John 1:12 (New King James Version)

But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name:

I hope this is helpful. :)

It is, really, but the last line says they become children of God if they believe; which this family does, so why are they not God's children too? I am asking honestly, not snarky or trying to start debate-- just trying to understand.

I was laying in bed last night thinking about this and I wondered ... would this priest tell a child not to attend his church because of who her parents are or what they do? The child would be exposed to the same types of teachings in church. Would he turn the child away? It doesn't seem too different to me to turn the child away from the school.

Tara

This is complex, so I'm staying with the reality that I do not personally know this parochial school, nor its administration, nor the people who enrolled the little girl. The girl's guardians (that is the only word which I comfortably can use) may have selected the school because they thought it would provide a good education for her. It also is possible that they enrolled the child as a "protest measure".

Although the Catholic church continues to grapple with the horrific sins exposed to the public in recent years, it is not right to leap upon those and connect them with this specific incident, an incident about a different topic to begin with. People often forget that the ugly sins we have learned about are sins committed by people, and are NOT intrinsic to the Catholic faith. (I am not a Catholic, so I have no vested interest in mounting a defense of that religion here. I just reject the wrong logic often invoked.)

I also have to take at face value that the school administration DOES have the child's welfare forefront. Preschool is a generally safe social environment for a child with his/her peers. Older grades are not. I think it probable that the child will be happier in a different school.

Edited by Orthodox6

I have other thoughts, as well, but of course do not voice them here.

You made at least some of them crystal clear by refusing to call this girl's parents her parents. That was beyond rude and completely uncalled for.

Tara

I am Catholic (quite honestly I'm from Philadelphia, everyone I know is Catholic and went to 12 years of Catholic school + some to Catholic College). Being Irish Catholic is my religion and culture. However, there are Catholics who do not agree with everything the Catholic church does and are more progressive.

We're all God's children. I'm sorry to see anyone hurting.

You made at least some of them crystal clear by refusing to call this girl's parents her parents. That was beyond rude and completely uncalled for.

Tara

could not agree more. Im not sure how you could have an issue with the fact that these people are indeed the girl's parents. That sort of bigotry is simply beyond my understanding.

I am Catholic (quite honestly I'm from Philadelphia, everyone I know is Catholic and went to 12 years of Catholic school + some to Catholic College). Being Irish Catholic is my religion and culture. However, there are Catholics who do not agree with everything the Catholic church does and are more progressive.

We're all God's children. I'm sorry to see anyone hurting.

We are indeed all God's children. I am continually disgusted with the need of some "christians" to condemn their brothers and sisters to hell. As a rule, catholics do not ever condemn anyone to hell bc we do not believe that humans have the knowledge of this. We may suspect Hitler is in hell, for instance, but we are not really called to speculate about it. That's for God to deal with. Just as this couple's relationship should be more God's business and less ours.

Yes everyone is a sinner. As people who believe and claim the teachings of the bible we have to hold to a standard. That standard is not perfection but it is striving to be more like Christ and to hold up those teachings.

A person can not be striving to be more like Christ and yet blatantly, outwardly sinning as if to say "screw you God, it doesn't matter what you say". It's just not possible. It doesn't matter what the sin is. If another parent was publicly getting drunk every weekend, or picking up girls or whatever else, and refusing the correction of their priest, it would be the same thing.

Now, I would never hold a person to this if they did not confess to be a follower of Christ, but this is part of the package when you are one.

This church school is a private entity and they can uphold whatever rules they like. No one is forced to use the school and not allowing a child to attend because the parents can't adhere to a basic statement of faith is to be expected.

Why did the parents want their child to go to a school that would conflict with their values in the first place? That seems rather strange to me.

You put into words the thoughts that have been swirling around my head. Thank you!

Tara

We shall have to disagree. Politely, on my side.

With respect to "clarity", I am much more restrained than many other posters at this website.

Edited by Orthodox6

I do wonder why the adults would enroll this child knowing that they would be enrolling in a school with which they had dissenting beliefs from what would be taught. So I do question their motives.

The priest and administrators have to work toward solutions that will serve all the families and children of the school, while adhering to church teaching. I am sure that they're hearts were wrenched for the little girl who they had to ask not to return.

I applaud the courage of the priest in this situation. He and his parish must be prepared for the firestorm they will now face for standing up for their beliefs.

It is clear from this thread that there are people who are waiting with baited breath just for this firestorm.

Well, it certainly sends a strong message to stay away from the Catholic church and its teaching in the future. Is that what they wanted?

There are lots of nonCatholics who attend Catholic schools. The schools in my area have fee structure based on in-parish Catholics, out of parish Catholics and non Catholics. The fee structure is documented on school websites.

I would think if the school does not alter its religious teaching it would not matter whether the parents were gay or not Catholic for that matter. Sticking to the teachings of the church may make for uncomfortable discussions in a home where the family lives an alternative lifestyle. And as the child moves up in grade the child may feel like an outsider because of the teachings, but that problem would be one the family should expect.

I think excluding someone (child or adult) on this or similar basis damages the perception of christianity . I don't think a church has to embrace lifestyle choices (like living together w/o marriage or gay relationships --if you think being gay is a choice). However, excluding people who live this way sends a strong message that a Christian God is not available to them.

I believe that a church should be able to teach from their point of conscience. They are going to teach a certain way. Abortion is wrong, God's design for marriage is a man and a wife, marriage is to be forever...without divorce. etc. I would not want my children taught the things I've mentioned... and more.... if I didn't believe them. It's really the parents pitting their choice of school... against their child.

It's not the same as BC and other such "private matters". The priest put on their that if parents were protesting for divorce, that their family would be dismissed as well. I mean... look at the Catholic Church, of which the school is a ministry, they can do different "Church Discipline" based on their beliefs... which you submit to while attending..

And.. when I read the blog, I read humility.... and not pride.

That's my opinion.

Yes everyone is a sinner. As people who believe and claim the teachings of the bible we have to hold to a standard. That standard is not perfection but it is striving to be more like Christ and to hold up those teachings.

A person can not be striving to be more like Christ and yet blatantly, outwardly sinning as if to say "screw you God, it doesn't matter what you say". It's just not possible. It doesn't matter what the sin is. If another parent was publicly getting drunk every weekend, or picking up girls or whatever else, and refusing the correction of their priest, it would be the same thing.

Now, I would never hold a person to this if they did not confess to be a follower of Christ, but this is part of the package when you are one.

This church school is a private entity and they can uphold whatever rules they like. No one is forced to use the school and not allowing a child to attend because the parents can't adhere to a basic statement of faith is to be expected.

Why did the parents want their child to go to a school that would conflict with their values in the first place? That seems rather strange to me. I can't imagine any of the few gay families that I know sending their kids to a highly religious school like that, it would just cause too many problems for their kids. I only know a handful though and none of them are religious so I am sure that comes into play.

I went to private, religious schools for parts of my education. We always had to sign statements of faith and codes of conduct. That all seems really normal. Is it always bad to say this is allowed but that isn't? It doesn't mean the people aren't valued but there have to be standards set somewhere. How else are groups going to protect their core values? If denying entrance based on this is not ok, is there any reasons they should be allowed to deny entrance to a family? Are they allowed to have any moral or behavioral standards? How about academic standards, is it wrong to deny a kid because his test scores weren't high enough? How should private schools determine eligibility?

I do wonder why the adults would enroll this child knowing that they would be enrolling in a school with which they had dissenting beliefs from what would be taught. So I do question their motives.

The priest and administrators have to work toward solutions that will serve all the families and children of the school, while adhering to church teaching. I am sure that they're hearts were wrenched for the little girl who they had to ask not to return.

I applaud the courage of the priest in this situation. He and his parish must be prepared for the firestorm they will now face for standing up for their beliefs.

It is clear from this thread that there are people who are waiting with baited breath just for this firestorm.

I agree. Now I will go and have some coffee.

I feel for the priest and some of the hateful comments he received on his blog (comparing him to a Nazi) :(

I would wonder why a couple would send their child to a school that teaches direct opposite of their obvious beliefs on this issue...even if it were the "best school in the area". Sounds like they were looking for trouble.

I agree. I'm not buying for a minute they hadn't a clue that this could happen or even that it was likely.

:iagree:I wonder who called the news media with the story. If it was the parents then I say these parents are making bad choices for their child - using him as a pawn to further their agenda. "Lets send him to Catholic school so that when the school kicks him out we can yell discrimination."

I can really see no other reason for these parents sending their child to this school. If they wanted they could have decided to send him a private school that is not church related or homeschool him.

We shall disagree. Politely, on my side.

There's nothing polite about what you said. If this child were born to one of the women, are you saying she's not a parent because you don't approve of her choice of partner? What if this child were legally adopted by one of the women? She's still not a parent? There are some states that allow second-parent adoption, too, and don't mandate that the second parent must be of the opposite sex. I don't expect you to answer these questions, of course. But you have basically said that you are the one qualified to deem people a family or not.

Tara