Menu

How much reading each week?

What is a reasonable amount of reading to expect a high schooler to read for history and literature? Either per day or per week.

Also, when you have a research paper or some other big project, do you just lessen the reading, or do away with it altogether for that period of time?

I assigned way to much this year and I am trying to get a better idea of what to expect as I plan for the coming year. I cut the reading back, but now I worry that I cut it too much.

Thanks for any help.

I don't have a high schooler yet, but I think this has to totally depend on the child. My older son loves to read and will read about 3-4 hours a day - 2 of which are on his own time and by choice, the other two are History, Science, and Bible. I would think that the answer would be a lot different for a child who needs less reading and more "doing." I know my son is only starting middle school, but I thought I would just chime in and encourage you to tailor to your son's needs - whatever those may be. :)

I'd say my 10th grader is also reading between 1-3 hours per day.

I do tweak his assigned readings around projects -- if he has a big project, the work and time in the related subject is devoted to the project.

I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer -- some kids are better and more efficient readers, others need more time. I just assign what needs to get done per week and leave it to my ds to figure out how to break down the reading for each day.

My two older boys loved to read, so my third son is the first child that I have had to really think about what is reasonable. He probably reads 2 hours a day for all subjects, but I have to break it down and tell him how much to read each day. He was procrastinating and saving all his reading for the last minute, which did NOT work. :001_smile:

We did Omnibus, and I'd say the reading was about 2 hours a day--that was literature and excerpts from history. He did Apologia Bio and Chem--about 20 minutes to read that (and then more time to "do" it). He read his One Year Bible every day for a devotion--maybe 15 minutes? Hard to say.