Menu

Colleges that require students to live in the dorm

Rebecca VA

I know it's a few years early, but I've been reading about a college within commuting distance of us that might work for my daughter. It's well-regarded, especially for specific majors, and it offers the two majors she would be most interested in taking (which are kind of hard to find, especially at the same college).

However, the website states that students are required to live in the dorms during their first two years. We're more conservative than many parents, and our daughter is clearly going to be more slow to mature than most girls. We have no desire for her to live in a dorm. We probably wouldn't feel so strongly if the school were a conservative Christian school, but it isn't.

Is there any way out of a dorm residence requirement? Do colleges allow locals to live at home? Could we pay for a dorm room and let her use it as a study place between classes but have her really live at home (without her getting into trouble)?

Many, many (but not all) colleges do waive the dorm requirement when students are within an easy commute and live at home. I would direct your question to the college. You might also find the answer in their college catalog which is likely online.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

Generally, exceptions are made for:

1. living at home with parents

2. student parents or students who otherwise have dependents (I had one friend who moved out of the dorm when she got custody of her younger sister)

3. married students

4. students of non-traditional age (i.e., starting college as an adult of mid-twenties or older, not right out of high school)

Also, keep in mind that many schools that expect dorm living do try to fit it to a wide variety of expectations and lifestyles. There may well be single sex dorms or dorm wings available, and certainly matching efforts are made to pair roommates in such a way that they will be a good fit.

We had a serious issue with this when ds was a freshman a the U where he did dual enrollment. They had a newly built dorm they wanted occupied and were requiring ALL freshman to live in it regardless of proximity to campus. We live less than 30 miles away. The end result was that ds had to enroll part-time as opposed to full-time. That was the only out. Not a huge deal in the end but we perceived it a serious obstacle at the time blocking his goals to transfer in a timely manner. Full time freshman were required to live in the dorm. Just paying for it and not occupying it was not an option for us.

If that is what you are considering, I see nothing ethically wrong with that. Housing contracts are typically for a year and there are plenty of midyear dropouts who are still required to pay even though they have vacated. Check with the school for exemptions. In our case there were none. I can't recall a time when I ever have been so angry as when I was dealing with this situation. I actually dissolved into tears to my extreme embarrassment when talking with the dean. Ds was very sweet (younger dd who had to come along was totally mortified) and in the end it all worked out! Possibly TMI here. Sorry. Good luck.

Mary

The one college around here that I've heard requires living campus does allow commuting for those who live at home with their parents. Even here where we are only like 35 miles from campus, but it takes about an hour due to it being all back roads. There's some form to fill out and sign.

I agree with the poster who said to talk to the college.

And just fyi, she should be able to study in the library between classes. Even my college had small glass enclosed study rooms for very small groups (3-4) and cubes with high sides for individuals.