Menu

Smarr literature guides and Lightning Lit

Dd will be in 9th in the fall and I'm trying to decide on literature for next year. I had a few questions regarding Smarr & LL -

-Can someone tell me how they like Smarr guides?

-Do they provide enough lit analysis? Or do you add in more?

-Can all the guides be used for high school? Or are some for upper high school?

-I read one poster saying Smarr did have writing instruction - is that correct?

Dd has used LL 7 in 7th grade, she liked it. But, said it was kind of easy and didn't give any writing instruction. What are the hs lightning lit guides like? Do they give writing instruction? Dd said all the lit anaysis in LL 7 she already knew from R&S...

I'd love to hear opinions of both Smarr & Lightning Lit (hs), so I can tryi to make a decision!

Thanks so much!

Guest Katia
Dd will be in 9th in the fall and I'm trying to decide on literature for next year. I had a few questions regarding Smarr & LL -

-Can someone tell me how they like Smarr guides?

-Do they provide enough lit analysis? Or do you add in more?

-Can all the guides be used for high school? Or are some for upper high school?

-I read one poster saying Smarr did have writing instruction - is that correct?

Dd has used LL 7 in 7th grade, she liked it. But, said it was kind of easy and didn't give any writing instruction. What are the hs lightning lit guides like? Do they give writing instruction? Dd said all the lit anaysis in LL 7 she already knew from R&S...

I'd love to hear opinions of both Smarr & Lightning Lit (hs), so I can tryi to make a decision!

Thanks so much!

I've used LL in the past, and am currently using Smarr.

Both dd and I like the Smarr guides. Each lesson is one day of work, which includes vocabulary, recall/comprehension questions, critical thinking questions for discussion or composition, and some kind of bonus information like literary analysis, author background, historical background or all of the above.

There is not a lot of literary analysis. We used LL first, which has a lot of literary analysis; when we switched to Smarr we used mostly Shakespeare selections, and I used the Smarr for the lessons all scheduled out, and then used the LL for the lit analysis. It worked out fine for us. :glare:

This year, we are using Smarr World Lit and we're also using Windows to the World, which has TERRIFIC lit analysis. I wish it had been available when my kids started high school. But....yes....I feel you need to supplement Smarr in the lit analysis department.

All the guides are high school level. Now, what book selections you want your child to read and at what grade level is up to you.

The Smarr literature 'guides' do NOT have writing instruction. The Smarr literature 'courses' DO have writing instruction. If you just purchase the guides you will not find any writing instruction in them. You must purchase an entire course to have that.