Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

specialmama

Playing with the TOG cycles...

I need some help with choosing how to play with the TOG years. Here is our info so you can chime in: dd is 10, in "grade 5" and about to start Dialectic next year (Sept). We are currently using TOG YR2, but are gearing up for Yr3. Here's where it gets a bit complicated. We're in Canada, and although TOG is a World History curric, there is a LOT of US presidential study and history that frankly, just glazing over it in SOTW (in TOG's alternate list) is enough for us. When planning for YR3 next year, I printed off the weekly topics, and I chose to do only 14 weeks of the 36. I will be plopping Canadian history/lit/geography in where appropriate, but I do not need to stretch it for a year. The same goes for YR4. Fast forward to R level, and I will do the full year of each year plan simply to get the Philosophy. I LOVE TOG'S Philosophy! :drool5: But until then, I have a D level student doing half-time work for two years, or I could compress YR3 & 4 into her upcoming 6th grade year. Here are my 2 options:

Option 1: As Is

Grade 4 ~ Lower Grammar ~ YR1

Grade 5 ~ Upper Grammar ~ YR2

Grade 6 ~ Dialectic ~ YR3 (doing half of the weeks)

Grade 7 ~ Dialectic ~ YR4 (doing half of the weeks)

Grade 8 ~ Dialectic ~ YR1

Grade 9 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR2

Grade 10 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR3

Grade 11 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR4

Grade 12 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR1

Option 2: Compressed grade 6 year

Grade 4 ~ Lower Grammar ~ YR1

Grade 5 ~ Upper Grammar ~ YR2

Grade 6 ~ Dialectic ~ YR3 & YR4 (doing half of the weeks from each)

Grade 7 ~ Dialectic ~ YR1

Grade 8 ~ Dialectic ~ YR2

Grade 9 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR3 (doing all TOG except for strong US history and Gov.)

Grade 10 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR4 (doing all TOG except for strong US history and Gov.)

Grade 11 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR1

Grade 12 ~ Rhetoric ~ YR2

I have to say, I like with the compressed plan that she will be older for some of the R YR1&2 books that have formed our culture. I also like that in the compressed plan she will be covering Yr3&4 in her first 2 yrs of highschool. So we may skip some government books and strong US history books, but that will only give her more time to get used to R level work elsewhere, giving her 2 years to ramp up to the full plates of Yr1&2. I'm not too worried about burn out for next year if I do compress, my personality won't let that happen with school. I take a break if I need it and move on. ;) But I'm wondering if this is wise. I'm wondering if anyone has done this before for whatever reason, and if anyone can see any potential pitfalls for crunching such a vast time frame. Basically, if anyone has any wisdom, I'm all ears. :bigear: Thank you in advance!

I would prefer the condensing of Y3 & 4. I think it would be fine since you are doing the same number of weeks so the work load should be the same even if the pace is faster. :)

I think your compressed year looks great! You can always spend more time on a week if you need to. Great plan.

We have used Y3 with LG, UG and UG/D last year. In your case, you can easily compress Y3 and Y4 in one year. I would do that. I think TOG generally would be better if Y2 would be spread more and some topics would be moved to Y3.