Menu

Dough improver...um, help please

You ladies advised me to get dough improver to help me make my bread more like store bought bread.

I only know of one place to get this stuff and that is King Arthur Flour. It is $10 a small bag and it is whole grain bread improver. I am just trying to make plain old white bread for sandwiches. Should I get this product? Is there another company to order from?

BTW, should I look into using potato flour. Basically, my family really likes the Sara Lee Homestyle/Hearty Potato bread. It is sturdy yet not heavy, soft, and sweet. It also lasts forever. How can I make my Zoirushi produce bread like that?

This is the recipe for dough enhancer that I got from someone here, and which I posted yesterday in another post about making bread at home:

DOUGH ENHANCER

1 cup nonfat dry milk

2 cups wheat gluten

2 teaspoons powdered ginger (you will not taste it)

4 tablespoons powdered pectin (in the canning supplies section of the grocery store)

4 tablespoons unflavoured gelatin

4 tablespoons lecithin granules (health food store)

1 tablespoon ascorbic acid crystals (Fruit Fresh -- in the canning supplies section)

Mix together in bowl and store in fridge (I store mine in a mason jar in the freezer). Use 2-3 tablespoons per batch of bread -- maybe a bit more....)

Here's my dough enhancer recipe - I ordered a 2lb bag of lecithin for around $8 (I think). I usually halve the recipe and have just been using ground up (in a mortar and pestle) chewable Vitamin C tablets.

4 cups powdered milk

3/4 cup lecithin

3 T vitamin C

2 T ginger

3 T cornstarch

I do add vital gluten separately to my recipe, too.