Menu

what *IS* Shurley grammar?

Can anyone explain it to me? I'm understanding the 4-year-history cycle, the concept of narration as practice for writing / composition, copywork . . . these are all new terms to me, but I'm still working on spelling and grammar.

Do I understand correctly that FLL is a form of Shurley grammar? Are there other kinds?

I'm doing FLL 1 with my daughters right now, but I'm not sure it's going to work for us.

Do I understand correctly that FLL is a form of Shurley grammar? Are there other kinds?

No, Shurley Grammar is the name of one particular grammar program. Students "parse" sentences (some say it's not true parsing) instead of diagramming. They learn about the parts of speech, noun jobs, various types of verbs, etc. through jingles. It also includes vocabulary, homonyms, synonyms, antonyms, etc. It's also a writing program.

I've never used FLL but I believe they are very different from each other.

For spelling, have you looked at Spelling Wisdom by Sonya Schafer? It would cover two birds so to speak. It's dictation from great sources incorporating the most frequently used 6,000 words. We've tried several spelling programs but the girls find it so boring. I like the idea of copywork (I saw the style of my girls' writings improve A LOT through this format); they enjoy it as well. Schafer studied/taught the CM method. She spent a lot of time finding the word list in copywork format from great resources. I can't offer you any info on Shurley, can only tell you we're not ecstatic about Abeka.