Menu

Canadian History

Has anything good cropped up for Canadian history lately? Something for grade 8 or 9 level (when I went to high school in BC grade 8 was high school)? My middle dd is going to be done American history this year and I want to wait a year before she starts SWBs books. Plus, she likes history and I think as a dual citizen she ought to study Canadian history, too.

Janet Lunn's book "The Story of Canada" is a good overview. It would be a bit simple for some students of that age, but could easily be used as a spine. (Janet Lunn also wrote a lot of Canadian historical fiction for kids.)

DS watched all of the "Canada: A People's History" films in grades 7 and 8. We got these from our local library, but I see that they are also on You Tube if you are in an area where you wouldn't find these in the library. (CBC produced them, and I think there are educational guides and a book that accompany them.)

Finally, the Canadian National Film Board has made all of their material available on-line. This is a tremendous wealth of resources.