Menu

s/o Non-Christians Going to Church?

:iagree: I'd also add Jews, Hindus & Buddhists.

I was in a quilting circle with a Catholic friend & about 10 LDS ladies, for about a year. Never a mention was made to me about converting or even exploring their faiths.

Catholic and Orthodox I've never had try to convert me (unless I showed interest in the latter). LDS, I grew up around quite a few as well and found that if I had a personal relationship with them, they didn't try to convert. If I didn't have a personal relationship with them, they tried to convert you (missionaries and a lady the I worked one project with).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:iagree: I'd also add Jews, Hindus & Buddhists.

I was in a quilting circle with a Catholic friend & about 10 LDS ladies, for about a year. Never a mention was made to me about converting or even exploring their faiths.

Ahem....would you like to convert or even explore our faith? ;) We're very much a "more the merrier" bunch, and would love to have you with us. I don't want to pressure you either, but thought it a little sad that the invitation had never been offered, and I hope you know you'd be welcome. :)

I grew up with many LDS families and have lived in LDS communities. No one has ever been anything but kind and answered my questions. Maybe they convert by question answering? I don't know.

It's been my personal experience Mormons try to convert by hanging gorgeous paintings on the walls of their homes and having cute little children explain the religious significance of those pictures to admirers. ;)

It's been my personal experience Mormons try to convert by hanging gorgeous paintings on the walls of their homes and having cute little children explain the religious significance of those pictures to admirers. ;)

It's kind of a subversion: "Wow - you guys have such a great, loving family. Look at this community! Everyone helps out when someone is in a crunch - no guilt or anything! Dang, can you teach me how to can so my family can be prepared for an emergency?" Etc., etc.

I swear, if I ever get back to the continental US, I'm going to have to live by the LDS just so I can learn how to become self sufficient...

;)

a

It's kind of a subversion: "Wow - you guys have such a great, loving family. Look at this community! Everyone helps out when someone is in a crunch - no guilt or anything! Dang, can you teach me how to can so my family can be prepared for an emergency?" Etc., etc.

I swear, if I ever get back to the continental US, I'm going to have to live by the LDS just so I can learn how to become self sufficient...

;)

a

Dang...I've heard it called an "alternative life-style", but I don't think I've ever heard it called "subversion" before....lol! That's too funny.

Does it count when my 2-year-old runs up with a scripture story book and asks you to read it to her, pointing out who all the people are on the cover? In her little lisp? :D It's so cute. She does that to me all the time.

On the original subject, I have been to other churches before but either on invitation or ones that encourage the public, like one of the festivals at the Hindu temple, Notre Dame, visiting a relative's church when visiting him, etc. I think it's fabulous.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I got to meet Dr. Pelikan once ! He became an Orthodox Christian in his later years. While visiting SMU in Dallas, he came to church at our parish, and some of us were able to speak with him afterward. Very gracious man !

Jaroslav Pelikan once called tradition the living faith of dead people, which is pretty good. He also called traditionalism the dead faith of living people, which is also pretty good. Tradition, in the form of those trappings, can be meaningful if it accompanies and enhances the 'real' church. Traditionalism is always dead because it is always concerned only with the trappings. Lutherans say that the Church exists where the Word of God is taught in its truth and purity and where the Sacraments are administered according to the Word of God. That can happen in a home church and also in a trapping blessed/laden church. It's the presence of the Spirit that counts in each case.

This is a very interesting discussion. I've been a Christian since birth and have attended churches in a few different denominations since then. I would definitely not be offended if a non-Christian with no desire to convert visited my church. And I can't imagine that the majority of church-goers would mind either.

I will say this: you may say that you will never be a Christian believer, but the Christian believers at these churches will not necessarily take this declaration at face value. ;) Most Christians (and I assume this happens in every religion) know someone who was completely sure they would never believe and then later became a Christian. Many know someone who went their whole life without belief but then became a Christian at the end of their lives. So even if you tell these church-goers your true intentions, they will still welcome you, many with the hope that some time down the road, God will use your experiences at their church to change your mind, despite your intentions to simply observe. :001_smile:

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily feel like attending a small church once in a while is giving the members a false hope. A lot of smaller churches don't get many visitors, and they are excited to have *anyone* visit. My family has visited several smaller churches when we have been "in between" churches, and the members are very excited to have us, not because they are hoping to save our souls ;), but just because we are a new family and it mixes things up a bit. I have been to churches, however, that seem desperate for new members, and I do feel sad in those cases because it seems like their church is failing.

Anyway, all that to say: enjoy your church visits, but remember to Christians, never doesn't necessarily mean never when it comes to the possibility of your belief. "Love hopes all things" and personal experiences sometimes prove otherwise. :001_smile:

So what do you all think about a person (guess who :tongue_smilie:) attending Church services if they are not "seeking", but are simply there in a spirit of trying to understand and experience how others in our community worship.

I find it highly interesting. And often times deeply moving.

But I believe what I believe and don't believe what I'm never going to believe. Mrs Spy Car somewhat apprehensive about going to churches other than more public holidays and programs feeling it to some degree seems like "church tourism" (which is somewhat true) and also that it will give people, especially in smaller, more struggling churches, a sense of false hope (which I'm afraid is probably true).

So what do you all think, under these circumstance, where one would enjoy attending a religious service (in a spirt of good will) but is not of the faith and is not there as a seeker and is not a potential convert (just isn't), is it appropriate to attend services, or not?

Bill

I think it is great!! Whatever gets the person to COME IN....Great! Maybe they will enjoy it! Maybe they will decide they agree and stay. Whatever! Maybe they hate it and wont come back. At least they had some exposure to understand what is going on in Church. That's a lot more then you get from a most people!

II hope this isn't too shocking. And I took Communion from the Archbishop of Firenza. It didn't seem "wrong" at the time (quite to the contrary) but I now understand it probably wasn't 100% kosher.

Bill

Nope. Most definitely not kosher. ;)

I think it's fine to attend a church when you don't have the intention of converting but agree with the others that you should refrain from communion.

I got to meet Dr. Pelikan once ! He became an Orthodox Christian in his later years. While visiting SMU in Dallas, he came to church at our parish, and some of us were able to speak with him afterward. Very gracious man !

I thought he became Catholic. Orthodox strikes me as a lot more consistent with what he believed, though.

I like both those, thanks! And I agree. I am a very traditional old sort of fuddy-duddy and love my pomp, splendour, trappings and anything else I can get, LOL. But I also appreciate it for what it is and is not. When I speak of those things I'm thinking of the church of my grandparents and parents, and the fact that very many of their generations thought that an hour weekly spent amid the glory, enjoying the show, fulfilled their commitment to God in its entirety.....

Ya know, Bill, when I was going through confirmation at my parent's church, we "toured" many different churches. It was an interesting learning experience and I think it showed a depth of understanding from our church's perspective.

I'm a non-believer as an adult but will attend church services if it is important to my parents. I see no issue with a person appreciating a church service without believing in the message. I have had my children baptized because it was an important ritual for my parents and my in-laws. I confirmed that I would raise a moral child. To me, it's the intent that counts.

And I still love Christmas hymns and have often sung Amazing Grace to my children as a lullaby. I take what I need from religion and leave the rest.

I think it is an "interesting" experience to partake in (in a spirit of good-will, but not one of "communion). But I'm sensitive to the charge of "voyeurism" (which I don't feel inside) but which I can understand a person who can't know my heart might suspect. Or there may even be a "partial truth."

Bill

I think that most churches would be more than happy to have you come and share the celebration (if not communion).

If you should visit Hawaii, there are some incredible services there. Not high church in the Catholic, Orthodox, Anglican church, but when you get music and a worshipful hula going . . . chicken skin moment. Faith Baptist in Kailua will even give you coffee and a snack between services. There are also some incredible services on the beach in Waikiki.

BTW, when we were in Europe, we stumbled into one of the Catholic churches in Slovenia, sort of ignorant to the fact that it was lent and there were lots of services happening. So we had to wait in the foyer until the mass ended. The church ladies doted on my three sons (who were quite young) and then one of the priests came through, stopped in his tracks and blessed each of them. One of my favorite memories of that trip.

I do understand the feeling you describe. I have similar feelings when we are visiting shrines and temples here in Japan. And the more worship that is occuring in a site, the more I am aware of being on the edges of a religion rather than just on a visit to a lovely cultural site.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I have been to many different religion's services out of curiosity too. I am a protestant and believe in The Bible and Jesus as my Savior, but I wanted to know what other people really believe and why.

I have attended a Mormon church, Catholic, Jewish Synogogue, Islamic Mosque, 7th Day Adventist, and a LDS church. I was always respectful of the rules and the people there, but I don't see how anyone could be offended that you want to go visit.

So what do you all think about a person (guess who :tongue_smilie:) attending Church services if they are not "seeking", but are simply there in a spirit of trying to understand and experience how others in our community worship.

So what do you all think, under these circumstance, where one would enjoy attending a religious service (in a spirt of good will) but is not of the faith and is not there as a seeker and is not a potential convert (just isn't), is it appropriate to attend services, or not?Bill

I haven't read all the zillion responses you've got, but, from my point of view, I think it is absolutely appropriate to attend churches just for the experience. I have certainly done a lot of that and never with any bad results. (Well, I should say that I haver not been to an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church or an ultra orthodox Satmar synagogue.)

I have attended a lot of churches on my own, on organized tours, and as part of interdenominational and interfaith committees. I have attended lots of different Orthodox services, kissed the hand of two Ecumenical Patriarchs, been to all kinds of mainstream Protestant services, gone to Reform and Conservative synagogues and services at mosques. I have always had good experiences, but I could offer, not advice, but just a few thoughts:

-- churches in big cities are used to visitors.

-- churches with something special (architecture, music, liturgy) tend to have lots of visitors.

-- you may be able to find organized tours and get an inside look at the church or denomination you are visiting.

-- I should think that churches that advertise would like to see new people.

-- If in doubt, call first.

-- Go to the coffee hour after the service, if there is one; you may find pamphlets, books, cds for sale.

-- if you are in a foreign country, try to go to a church service. I have made some real friends this way.

-- let people know you like to visit places of worship. Lots of people enjoy this, and you can compare notes and get recommendations.

My most moving experience -- going to what I thought was an Old Catholic church, but everyone in it had converted to (Antiochean) Orthodoxy the week before -- the feeling of faith was palpable.

My most embarrassing experience -- taking a German Lutheran seminary student friend to a very conservation (ROCA) Orthodox church. She had shortish hair and was wearing slacks -- after questioning my friend about her gender, the lady at the door gave her a skirt to wear.

There are books (whose titles I've forgotten) on how to behave in different churches.

And, btw, I'm another Jaroslav Pelikan fan -- have heard him talk many times -- and got him to autograph his doctrine books. He was wonderful.

ETA I don't know if this is still true, but a while back Anglicans had a dispensation to receive communion in RC churches in certain European countries, provided that there was no Anglican church within a reasonable distance.

Edited by Alessandra

Well, I should say that I have not been to an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church or an ultra orthodox Satmar synagogue.

I've got you beat, as I have been to an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church and (while not a Satmar synagogue) an ultra-orthodox Chabad shul for services.

And one of the chief Chabad rabbis has proclaimed me an "honorary" Jew. Which I pretty sure doesn't count :lol:

Bill

Please come! My dh is not Christian, but attends mass with us, calls priests out to bless new our new babies and does only what he feels comfortable with. No pressure to perform. No need for a public statement.

Maybe you should attend a catholic church? Just remain in the pew during Eucharist. (no it's not weird. No one thinks anything of it. )

Maybe you should attend a catholic church?

Oh Martha, I've been to Catholic Masses many (many, many, many) times.

Just remain in the pew during Eucharist.

I'm thinking maybe you haven't read the whole thread? :lol:

Bill (a penitent)

Bill (a penitent)

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Oh man, I was totally taking a sip of coffee when I read that and it almost came out my nose! hehehehe Yes, I think it's safe to say you were duly warned and warned and warned and..... ;) :D

Jennifer (who also warned Bill ;) )

I have attended a Mormon church, Catholic, Jewish Synogogue, Islamic Mosque, 7th Day Adventist, and a LDS church. I was always respectful of the rules and the people there, but I don't see how anyone could be offended that you want to go visit.

LDS & Mormon are the same thing (just FYI for the peeps). :001_smile:

Bill (a penitent)

:rofl: Yeah, you left some of that pertinent information out of your first post :lol:

I've got you beat, as I have been to an Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Church and (while not a Satmar synagogue) an ultra-orthodox Chabad shul for services.

And one of the chief Chabad rabbis has proclaimed me an "honorary" Jew. Which I pretty sure doesn't count :lol:

Bill

Wow! Did you just go in, or did you call first? I would love to see both of those, but find them intimidating, to say the least. Although it is sort of an academic question -- most of my house of worship visiting was before my (not-so-perfect-in-church) dc. But I would still like to know more about how your visits went. (We have a Lubavitch complex close by, but no IFB that I am aware of.)

Bill (a penitent)

:::SNORT! Choke...sputter....

Don't worry Martha, we aren't laughing at you.

...we're actually laughing at Bill

Wow! Did you just go in, or did you call first? I would love to see both of those, but find them intimidating, to say the least. Although it is sort of an academic question -- most of my house of worship visiting was before my (not-so-perfect-in-church) dc. But I would still like to know more about how your visits went. (We have a Lubavitch complex close by, but no IFB that I am aware of.)

I know the West Coast Chabad-Lubavitch crew. I help them with their yearly L'Chaim: To Life! telethon.

If you tune it at the end of the show, and you see hundreds of black-hats dancing with wild-abandon, and there appears to be one tall goyishy-looking fellow in the midst of it all...that's me :D

Moshiach!, Moshiach!, Moshiach!, ya yaa yah yah ya yah!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Bill (a penitent)

Oh my. No I didn't.

Oh my. Read about that alter serving moment.

As you were truely unaware of the problem at the time, and they should have been a good deal more careful, I would count this as forgiven presuming you wouldn't purposely do it again. (Unlike my Wiccan sister who knows she is being disrespectful and doesn't give a flip and then gets annoyed bc I don't respect her beliefs. :glare: that is a whole other topic tho!)

so if you've been many times, is this something you would consider for your current situation? It sure sounds like you feel fairly comfortable there.

Ahem....would you like to convert or even explore our faith? ;) We're very much a "more the merrier" bunch, and would love to have you with us. I don't want to pressure you either, but thought it a little sad that the invitation had never been offered, and I hope you know you'd be welcome. :)

That's very sweet of you. I actually knew a good bit about the LDS faith, as well as Catholic. I grew up in a heavily Irish/Italian Catholic neighborhood in NY, as a child, and lived near a major Ward in Atlanta during high school. A number of my school mates were Mormon.

I was actually paying the ladies of my quilting circle a compliment. They were very loving and accepting of me, as I was/I'm.

That's very sweet of you. I actually knew a good bit about the LDS faith, as well as Catholic. I grew up in a heavily Irish/Italian Catholic neighborhood in NY, as a child, and lived near a major Ward in Atlanta during high school. A number of my school mates were Mormon.

I was actually paying the ladies of my quilting circle a compliment. They were very loving and accepting of me, as I was/I'm.

Oh! I know you were paying them a compliment, and I did read it that way. I thought it was a very gracious thing to say. I am very glad to hear that they didn't make you feel pressured at all. My problem is that I had just recently heard an analogy in which a person went to visit a friend and they were sitting at their kitchen table eating a big, delicious cinnamon roll, dripping with icing, and a big glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. The visitor is invited in to sit at the table, and watch as the friend eats his snack, obviously enjoying every bite. Then he puts the plastic wrap over the pan of remaining rolls, and sits down to talk with his friend without ever offering even a bite. The lesson to be learned was that if we have something wonderful that brings us joy, don't we want to share it with our friends so that they can have the same joy from it too? And so when I read your comment it made me think of that, and I thought I should maybe at least make the offer. Lol....please don't mind me.

Oh! I know you were paying them a compliment, and I did read it that way. I thought it was a very gracious thing to say. I am very glad to hear that they didn't make you feel pressured at all. My problem is that I had just recently heard an analogy in which a person went to visit a friend and they were sitting at their kitchen table eating a big, delicious cinnamon roll, dripping with icing, and a big glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. The visitor is invited in to sit at the table, and watch as the friend eats his snack, obviously enjoying every bite. Then he puts the plastic wrap over the pan of remaining rolls, and sits down to talk with his friend without ever offering even a bite. The lesson to be learned was that if we have something wonderful that brings us joy, don't we want to share it with our friends so that they can have the same joy from it too? And so when I read your comment it made me think of that, and I thought I should maybe at least make the offer. Lol....please don't mind me.

Ah, but see, I'm already eating a roll (maybe it's sweet or possibly savory) but I don't offer to share either, since I may offend you by saying what you're eating is not half as good as what I am. This is the problem with most of us, no matter the faith or non-faith. We think our cinnamon roll is better than all the others, and we can fathom why others don't see it as well.

Ah, but see, I'm already eating a roll (maybe it's sweet or possibly savory) but I don't offer to share either, since I may offend you by saying what you're eating is not half as good as what I am. This is the problem with most of us, no matter the faith or non-faith. We think our cinnamon roll is better than all the others, and we can fathom why others don't see it as well.

Yes indeed. (And I've heard a similar analogy involving eating a banquet in front of someone who's getting by with an inadequate amount of food in the form of cold leftovers...which would bring in both the sweet and the savory....hmmm....) Which, I suppose, gets somewhat back to the OP here. Maybe if we weren't so hesitant to ask each other what we're "eating", how's it "taste", what are the "ingredients" and why do we choose those particular ingredients, and maybe have a little nibble at each other's rolls, we could all compare more accurately instead of sitting there smugly with our own treats making assumptions about other people's. :) And conversely, I suppose it would help if we all became very familiar with the ingredients of our own goodies so we can feel comfortable answering when others ask us about them, and practiced being less defensive, though I admit that this can be a little difficult for people when they've been accosted frequently by people who are not kind about the consumption of one's particular brand of "baked goods".

For what it's worth--and in saying this I truly do not mean to offend anyone, only to report on my own experience, and I sincerely hope it will be taken that way--of the several "rolls" I've nibbled, and the many more I've looked at the "nutritional information" for, I've found nothing that even comes close to what I'm "feasting" on, and I would love to share it with anyone who is looking for such a thing. Or even just curiously nibbling with no intent of switching "flavors". :) And when other people choose something else, I firmly believe it's their God-given right to do so and I won't make a stink about it. I just hope that if they choose another "flavor" of "roll" it won't be because I neglected to offer what I've got. That's all. :)

How's that for stretching the analogy beyond the breaking point?

"Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him." Psalm 34:8

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist!

Love it!

ETA: When I had a few extra minutes I went and looked up this psalm to see what else it had to say. Good stuff! In my Bible verse 8 is cross-referenced with this passage from the Book of Mormon:

"Yea, and from that time even until now, I have labored without ceasing, that I might bring souls unto repentance; that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste; that they might also be born of God, and be filled with the Holy Ghost. ... For because of the word which he has imparted unto me, behold, many have been born of God, and have tasted as I have tasted, and have seen eye to eye as I have seen; therefore they do know of these things of which I have spoken, as I do know; and the knowledge which I have is of God." (Alma 36:24,26)

And that reminded me of this verse, also from the Book of Mormon:

"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life. " (2 Nephi 31:20)

Which led me to:

"How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalm 119:103)

And

"My meditation of him shall be sweet: I will be glad in the Lord." (Psalm 104:34)

And, of course, that whole discussion in chapter 6 of John about Christ as the "bread of life", which includes this in verse 34, "And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."

At which point I ran out of time. I may have to follow this rabbit trail a little more when time permits again, though. An intriguing path to follow, thanks for starting me out on it. :)

Edited by MamaSheep

to follow this rabbit trail a little more when time permits again, though. An intriguing path to follow, thanks for starting me out on it. :)

You're welcome. However, be careful . . .

"“It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’†Matthew 4:4 ;)

You're welcome. However, be careful . . .

"“It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’†Matthew 4:4 ;)

An excellent scripture and one I thoroughly believe in. However....and maybe it's just because I'm very tired tonight and my brain is fritzing out or something, but....I'm not sure how you intend me to apply it to our current conversation....?

But I believe what I believe and don't believe what I'm never going to believe. Mrs Spy Car somewhat apprehensive about going to churches other than more public holidays and programs feeling it to some degree seems like "church tourism" (which is somewhat true) and also that it will give people, especially in smaller, more struggling churches, a sense of false hope (which I'm afraid is probably true).

So what do you all think, under these circumstance, where one would enjoy attending a religious service (in a spirt of good will) but is not of the faith and is not there as a seeker and is not a potential convert (just isn't), is it appropriate to attend services, or not?

Bill

I think it is wonderful and encourage you to keep coming. Maybe your curiousity is sparked by the Holy Spirit and you are being led to church for reasons, even you, don't yet comprehend. We'd love to have you. ;)

I took my kids to a cathedral for a history assignment- I really enjoyed it and I think it was a good experience for them, too. We sat way up the back while there was a service going on at the front- I whispered something to my dd, and my ds was so upset with me for whispering while a service was going on, even though there was no way they noticed or heard! He felt I was being terribly irreverent!

I always think of churches as kind of "public places" where anyone can go. They are beautiful places with a lovely energy, often.

I am sure there are people who are there only because their spouse drags them along,anyway, so I imagine you are not the only non believer attending.

Bill

Ran into this article this morning, and it brought to mind this thread. Hopefully this has not already been posted. I haven't read all the posts. The article seems to indicate that our current culture provides more variety than ever for spiritual pursuits, but I wonder if that is true. It seems like that was a characteristic of Rome at the time of Christ as well. Seems like that it might be a cyclical part of history like so many other things. Interesting things to ponder anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/opinion/08douthat.html

Bill

I'm admittedly biased, but I think it's okay :D

I take my children every Sunday to the Catholic Mass. I've incorporated Catholic studies into our homeschool, and Catholic traditions into our daily life. I participate in our parish community, and have been welcomed with open arms (and no pressure). I think they're glad I'm raising my children Catholic and they secretly believe or pray that I'll "come around" eventually. I'm okay with that!

For the time being, they've been very respectful of my presence, even though they know I personally subscribe to a non-Christian belief system (and have no immediate intentions of abandoning it).