Menu

D'Angelo-horrible examples?

What do you think SWB means by this? Is it the content or is it the quality of the writing used in the examples?

Have any of you used D'Angelo as is? It seems like a pain to find other examples to use. I also have Corrbet- and I can't figure out how I would use the examples there with D'Angelo. I can't even line them up to find the examples.:001_huh:

I'm trying to figure out if I want ds to use this or take a class with writingassessment.com.

I have to return D'Angelo (ILL-only copy in the state...) today, so I'm looking at a purchase either way.

Has anyone here used D'Angelo with success? How?

I'm open to any and all input! Thanks!

I loved the D'Angelo book. I used some of the exercises from it with ds when he was in 10th/11th.

I would think she is referring to the content of some of the narratives and not the quality, but I've not read what she has said. If I remember right (without going downstairs to track down my book) the target audience of the text is pre-law or law students, so there are several narratives that are like newspaper articles telling about some crime. Some of these involved domestic violence, and I seem to remember at least one letter-to-the-editor narrative regarding a parent who was concerned about her child's underaged sexual activity. But you have a copy in hand so you've seen this.

To me, the greatest value of this book is that it really helped me to understand where we are going as we go through the progym. When we first started using CW (and earlier CC), I could not see the big picture at all--only little snippets of the pathway. I thought the book was concise, I liked the author's tone, and I thought some of the exercises were pretty fun. Now my son who never liked writing didn't necessarily share all my opinions and we didn't get through the entire book, but I think it did help with his writing skills. HTH

Mary

No, we were using Classical Composition, and I had to put that down after I don't remember which level because I just didn't get it. And I have to credit Jean in WI for putting me on to the D'Angelo book. Also, the ds I'm referring to is 19 and a jr in college. This was before CW had levels for high school. I use CW with remaining dc now, oldest being in 7th grade.

How old is your ds? If I was beginning progym with an upper level high schooler, say 10th or 11th, if he already had some background in logic and pretty good writing skills, I'd choose the D'Angelo book.

I have the Corbett book as well, and at the time, for what I felt we needed to accomplish in the limited time we had left in home school, the Corbett book was way too much. D'Angelo was straight forward and fairly engaging.

Mary

He'll be in 10th next year. I think I'll plan on D'Angelo and then move into Kane. I'm still debating a writing assessment progym course, but I don't want to overwhelm ds in my 'enthusiasm' ;) The courses seem to be intense 6 week sessions, and ds' schedule is pretty full.

Thanks again,

Sherry

What do you think SWB means by this? Is it the content or is it the quality of the writing used in the examples?

Have any of you used D'Angelo as is? It seems like a pain to find other examples to use. I also have Corrbet- and I can't figure out how I would use the examples there with D'Angelo. I can't even line them up to find the examples.:001_huh:

I'm trying to figure out if I want ds to use this or take a class with writingassessment.com.

I have to return D'Angelo (ILL-only copy in the state...) today, so I'm looking at a purchase either way.

Has anyone here used D'Angelo with success? How?

I'm open to any and all input! Thanks!

D'Angelo works if you pre-read the exercises and choose which exercise samples you want your child to read. They are written for pre-law students, and some show the dark side of humankind a bit too graphically imo.

Also, this book is not as classical-minded as many of the progym programs available. The author takes you through the progym, but many samples are from students who wrote about various modern-day topics. They are not based upon Ancient Greek myths or classic works.

I have not finished the book with any of my kids, but it was the fastest way I found to get through the progym with a high school aged child. We did not find it hard to do...but I don't know about the last chapters of the book.

I hope to use it with my youngest before he gets through high school

Jean