Menu

Yet another post from me re: choice to hs high school...

I am really feeling wimpy. Can I even handle this crazy idea of homeschooling high school? Can I follow through, making sure my son gets an education that will allow him to fly?

We have hs'ed for 9 years - this will be my first heading off to/staying at home for 9th grade. I've always been a "do the next lesson" kind of teacher. I haven't been particularly concerned with educating myself. (except in history as I've done it with the kids).

Can I do high school? What if I don't particularly want to immerse myself in the whole "educating myself" mentality? Will he get enough? I have a current 4th grader whom has gotten pushed aside (not really, but not the education my eldest got at this point -) and I need to concentrate on him considerably now.

There is an excellent homeschool cooperative that we participate in. It would be excellent for the sciences, writing, debate, etc. So, I could go that route. Ack!!! Why is making this decision such an on-going debate in my head - honestly it is driving me crazy!

Top that off with a kid that doesn't particularly love the idea of going to school - and that I would be paying $6,500 per year for the privilege of sending him.

Bottom line me - can I do it? Can I do it at the level that I am currently invested? He did score in the 94th percentile of students taking the private school entrance exam - so we must be doing something right. But I just don't want to rob him of his future in any way.

Thanks for the read.

WHat I find is the best thing to do is outsource the subjects you don't want to teach. For me, that is writing. For others, it may be science or math.

HOw involved I am depends on both the student's wishes, how much help they need, and how interested they are. One of my passions is Earth Science. YOu can be sure that I am involved in that though none of my kids were quite as interested as I was. On the other hand, I am not that interested in going over the same history over and over and over again. They don't need me to spoon feed it to them. So this year, dd is watching teaching company videos and she will be watching those next year too. Which ones I watch with her or them depends on my schedule and theirs and also on my level of interest. SO I am sure I will watch any new ones we get on areas of history I am not that familiar with and probably will watch any ones that my youngest will watch. BUt I have two who will be doing high school next year and my older is more independent (and was at the age her sister is) and my youngest is much more depended.

You have done a good job so far, right? At least the test score says so. What really changes for high school? I know it feels more official somehow, or more vital, but really, it is just the next step. It is just one more lesson. It is the same thing you have been doing all along, just at the next level. You are not the only one who has wondered about being able to hs high school. It is very possible to do so successfully, and there are hs grads in college and who have careers to prove it.

So yes, I would say that you can do it, just like you have done it since you began. You have resources, so use them when you need them. New opportunities will arise that you can't anticipate right now. Your son wants to continue hsing. It sounds like ducks are in a row.

Shelly I just did a quick Google search and I think there may be some great options for you. Here's one I found:

http://www.themorningstaracademy.org/howitworks/howitworks1.php

This is an online Christian program for K-12 which looks like it would be well under $3000 per year. They provide the courses and have unlimited live teacher support. I know nothing about this program, I just Googled and found this one as well as others. I'm just guessing that you're following a Christian curriculum based on your current courses.

I agree that you must be doing something right. :) Can't argue with success!

It sounds like you have an excellant co-op. We didn't do co-op but had many friends who did, and loved it. In answer to your question, yes, you can do it! And because you do it, your child will soar. It is much easier for homeschooled highschoolers to be able to pursue t heir dreams and passions. When you homeschool, you are able to take those detours in your plans, that let them develop their interests. I remember feeling the way you do. All the questions. The worry if I was somehow shortchanging my son. But now as he graduates highschool, I am so glad I homeschooled him. For one thing, our relationship has deepened so much. It has been fun getting to know this emerging young man. We have had great discussions, that I don't think would have happened in a school setting. And we have the flexibility in our schedule to let him pursue his passions. He feels as if he has control over his schooling. I have time to let him build a computer, do speech,debate, build another computer, etc. Did I do it perfectly? Not by a long shot! But, looking back I'm glad I took the leap.