Menu

For those with kids graduating college?

Maryalice

Good topic!

Postponing the search here: My son is graduating this year with a Bachelor's degree in EE/Computer Science. He's waiting out the job market by doing an extra year in a co-op program at his school. He'll get a Master's degree and nine months' experience with a company he likes in CA. He'll have a paycheck those months, and the company will also pay for the Master's degree. Then usually they hire the interns in this program.

My husband is currently laid off, so we know first hand the struggles of finding a job in this economy.

~Kathy

My son will be graduating in Dec. He hopes to start grad school in Fall, 2011. He will be trying to get employment starting in Dec. 2010. He is soon going to start looking for a summer job. He can't work in the school year since he takes 18 credits and almost all of them are heavy load classes with lots of papers.

So how's the job market? Are your dc getting jobs? Did they decide to go for grad school?

My dd did get a job in her field...actually 2 jobs..the main one and the freelance one. She is in a very competitive field...Graphic Design.

DSiL is not having as much luck. He has a BS in Physics. He will need grad school to do anything with that degree and is working P/T at Staples while also building a not-for-profit organization (not sure exactly what that is all about.)

~~Faithe

For the SiL with a Bachelor's in Physics, if he is interested, both the Navy and the Air Force look for Officers with a Physics degree. He could do the Officer Candidate School and be commisioned. They would also pay for graduate school. In my dh's case, he became a 2nd Lt in the SF, was paid while getting his Master;s, was paid again while doing his PhD (and this wasn't a small stiped, this was complete pay, housing allowance, food allowance, and full medical coverage) while taking three years in school. All together, my dh has gone to school while earning full salary for over 5 years. He has now been in 23 years and is a colonel. No deployments and no war for him in these last 23 years. Not to say he could never deploy but it is a lot less likely for the fields that are very technical.

So how's the job market? Are your dc getting jobs? Did they decide to go for grad school?

My eldest, who is 26, finished grad school (EE) a few years ago and was hired as an engineer at an electrical plant. He likes his job a lot -- really nice bosses, great pay, plenty of vacation -- but is thinking of getting involved with energy futures.

DD is 24 (undergrad EE), works for a consulting firm, and travels every week which she is not crazy about. Her job pays very well but she works about 70-80 hours per week and is too busy to take her vacations. She is considering working for a museum in Chicago where she would oversee developing tours for children. Talk about a switch!