Menu

Does anyone drink red raspberry leaf tea to help with periods...

If you do or have in the past, how has it helped you? My daughter who is a freshman in college never had problems with her period until now. Maybe it is because there are so many girls living so close together and are messing up each other's periods. She is now irregular, the bleeding is heavier, and is cramping much more than she ever used to.

I have read that drinking red raspberry leaf tea helps regulate the period and reduces the heaviness and cramping. Do you have to drink the tea every day, or just when you have your period? I want her to try it to see if it will help.

Any info. on how this has worked for you would be great!

Thanks!

Blessings,

Sabrina

If you do or have in the past, how has it helped you? My daughter who is a freshman in college never had problems with her period until now. Maybe it is because there are so many girls living so close together and are messing up each other's periods. She is now irregular, the bleeding is heavier, and is cramping much more than she ever used to.

I have read that drinking red raspberry leaf tea helps regulate the period and reduces the heaviness and cramping. Do you have to drink the tea every day, or just when you have your period? I want her to try it to see if it will help.

Any info. on how this has worked for you would be great!

Thanks!

Blessings,

Sabrina

Did she move to a colder climate? Maybe she's not getting as much sun and is low on vitamin D?

I usually tried to start a few days before my period would start - since I chart & cramps started 1-2 days before everything else, that was pretty easy! I have used the Traditional Medicinals bagged tea, but I admit that the loose tea (I got mine from Compleat Mother) does taste better. It's just a pain to use it sometimes!

I do. It's cheaper to buy it in bulk, but in a dorm situation, it's probably easier to buy bags. Traditional Medicines (I think) makes a good quality raspberry leaf tea. They also have one that tastes better called Female Toner.

While I don't think it would hurt to drink lots of tea, other factors to consider are her diet, stress levels and physical activity. Did her diet change radically? Is she getting enough fruits and vegetables, or is she mostly eating meat and carbs? Those are the easiest foods to procure on most campuses, and they totally mess up my periods. If she goes the tea route, it would probably also help to take a good quality multi-vitamin, and also some EFA (essential fatty acids). I take borage oil capsules as well as Tori Hudson multiple vitamins.

Hope that helps.

I've been using red raspberry leaf tea for many years. I make a strong tea of it and let it steep for about 5 minutes. The taste is very bitter but I don't need to drink all that much (maybe a quarter to half a cup). I take it as needed when I feel cramps coming on, and find they ease up usually in under 15 minutes or so. I dry my own to use and find it's much more potent than the stuff I had previously purchased, but the purchased did work-- just not as well. HTH!

I use red raspberry also ... however I don't mess with the tea ... I take mine in pill form. Very easy, and I carry an extra bottle in the car in case I end up out and need more.

Its very inexpensive, I get mine from swansonvitamins its only $2.49 per bottle. Here is a link :

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SW951/ItemDetail?n=0

HTH,

~Rachel

I am not a tea drinker at all especially herbal teas so I had to look at alternatives.

Vitamin D has done it for me. I've had problems for years. The past couple of months have been the lightest in over 20 years with 0 cramping. It took a couple of months to get there but I'm convinced.

I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea for years also, but found I needed something else when it was time for menses. I used bayberry capsules and tincture of cayenne. Both helped immensely, almost unbelievably, with cramping, heavy flow. I had to take them together every 2-4 hours during time needed.

I've read of other people having the same success with these two herbs taken together.

Red raspberry leaf is high in iron and can help whether it is in a cup of tea (I steep mine for 30 minutes add a tsp of honey) or capsules, or tincture or glycerite.

has she considered trying ibuprofen?

Take ibuprofen

Whenever flow is heavy, start taking ibuprofen, the over-the-counter anti-prostaglandin, in a dose of one 200mg tablet every 4-6 hours while you are awake. This therapy decreases flow by 25-30% and will also help with menstrual cycle-like cramps

http://cemcor.ubc.ca/help_yourself/articles/very_heavy_menstrual_flow

For cramping, she should start taking the ibuprofen the day or two before her period is due. It is much easier to prevent the pain than to take it back down once it starts.

This info is from Dr Jocelyn Prior, author of the Estrogen Errors. She is an MD who does research in menstruation & menopause. Very holistic & open to alternatives, though obviously not against otc ibuprofen LOL.

Re the raspberry - I drank it through pregnancies & beyond. I used whole leaf.

I used instructions in Susun Weed's books. Her website is not the greatest but I found these instructions somewhere else & that's pretty much how I drank it:

http://journeytocrunchville.wordpress.com/2008/07/28/red-raspberry-leaf-tea-what-every-pregnant-woman-needs/

This person says for menstrual probs to drink 2-3C/day & you should see improvement in 2-3 cycles. Sounds about right to me. Raspberry leaf is also a good source of easily absorbed iron which would help with any anemia resulting from the heavy flow.

best wishes to your dd