Menu

Exercise gurus, I have a few questions

I have been lifting weights for a few months and my routine is now easy. I wasn't sure if I should up the weight I use or do more reps or just continue as is. I don't want to get bulky, just toned.

Also, I need to start some abdominal exercises and I wasn't sure if these should be done daily or every other day when I do the weights.

Thanks!

I think adding weight does the bulking up. I don't like to bulk up either, to hard to maintain, I would look weird. Go for more reps & speed. That builds a lean muscle. For instance if you were doing 3x 20reps/ea at 5# increase the reps to 30 then 40 keep going. You can a little more weight, but adding weight signals the muscle to build. It depends on what muscle you are working too. Abdominals can be done every day. I'm a huge fan of Pilates, in which all moves involve the abdominals or core. Band work is also good.

I think adding weight does the bulking up. I don't like to bulk up either, to hard to maintain, I would look weird. Go for more reps & speed. That builds a lean muscle. For instance if you were doing 3x 20reps/ea at 5# increase the reps to 30 then 40 keep going. You can a little more weight, but adding weight signals the muscle to build. It depends on what muscle you are working too. Abdominals can be done every day. I'm a huge fan of Pilates, in which all moves involve the abdominals or core. Band work is also good.

Thanks! I will try adding more reps instead of more weight.

I think you could easily work your way up to 10# without being bulky. I'm at 10# now for arm exercises & no one would say I look like a body builder. I do use a heavier weighted vest for much of my lower body workout to keep from stressing my elbows. I've worked very very slowly to get to 10# with my arms & am not sure if I'll go much higher. Last time I pushed too fast to 15# & gave myself Tennis elbow.

I think you could easily work your way up to 10# without being bulky. I'm at 10# now for arm exercises & no one would say I look like a body builder. I do use a heavier weighted vest for much of my lower body workout to keep from stressing my elbows. I've worked very very slowly to get to 10# with my arms & am not sure if I'll go much higher. Last time I pushed too fast to 15# & gave myself Tennis elbow.

My arms are very sore today from the 8# yesterday so I know what you mean. I will have to think @ it. I would really like to tone up my arms some, especially the underneath.

Up the weight slowly and do more reps SLOWLY... You will build longer lean muscle the slower you do the rep. Also make sure you do an opposite exercise for each. What I mean is, if you do a curl, the make sure you do a French press to work the opposite set of muscle groups. This will keep you from bulking up and being unbalanced.

It requires *alot* of work to bulk up. That is a common misconception among women- that weight lifting will increase your bulk. Bulk is formed by testostorone, so unless you have a hormonal imbalance, you shouldn't have a problems.

Also, your abs are like any other muscle, you should rest a day between workouts.

Disclaimer: I am by no means and expert, but recently I have been do a lot of reading about weight training/losing weight.

Hope this helps!

Wendy's right, there is plenty of evidence that *most* women do not have the testosterone to bulk. If you feel bigger and puffy after lifting, it's because the muscles swell and hold water not because they've grown AND it's because there's still plenty of fat over those muscles to add padding (ask me how I know). Here's some links to different articles on women's weight training that might be of use to you, Jean, if you continue on this path. My sister lost quite a bit of weight starting a year or so ago, has done a Body for Life challenge and has used some other highly recommended weight training program, so she's learned quite a bit. She recently started using the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and really likes it. So I linked that too. Personally, I'd rather lift really heavy and fewer reps. Keeps the workout nice and short and still effective. I'm all about less time with more results. Kind of like interval training over long, slow, BORING cardio. :D

Links:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=54

http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/a/liftingheavy.htm

http://www.naturalstrength.com/women/detail.asp?ArticleID=195

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583332944

Abs can be done daily. As far as weights you are probably ready to go up a few pounds you have to do some serious lifting to become bulk but to become and stay toned just up the weight a little bit. If you are using 5lbs go to 8lbs, 8lbs go to 10 etc.

One is that I agree w/ keeping reps low and weight highish. Aim for 12-15 or 8-10 reps. If you do lots of reps, that is just plain boring and you will get burned out. Plus it makes the workout time unmanageable. You do have a life to lead.

Write EVERYTHING down: the excercise you did, the weight you used, the reps you did, how the experience was and if you think you should stay/decrease/increase your weight or rep.

Vary your routine alot. Just don't keep doing curls and tricep extensions for weeks on end. But have a plan. Do a set of arm exercises for a couple of weeks, then switch exercises. Work on the same muscle groups but approach it from a different way. After a couple of weeks, switch again to another routine.

Okay, here is the big one. Get on a nutrition supplement stack for women. They aren't cheap but if you can afford it, do it. It does make a big difference and it is what keeps me from being discouraged. The one I use is bsnonline.

I lift a lot of weight and I've never bulked up. In all of my reading, I've found that most women will not bulk because they just do not have the testosterone to bulk. The bodybuilding women you see either have a lot of natural testosterone or take it in pill form.

There are several theories on the weight lifting thing, though. I personally tend to cycle through them. If I am lifting medium weight, then I do three sets of 12 or 15. If I am lifting very heavy, then I do a set of 10, then 8, then 6 increasing my weight each time. The key is to trick your body into making your metabolism work. For this reason, I will go on 3 to 4 week cycles with the above methods. Then, I switch. I personally like the 10, 8, 6 method, but try not to do it all the time because I don't think it builds much in terms of endurance. It does, however, build a lot of strength.

I've worked abs every day and I've worked abs every other. I prefer the every other method because I then give myself permission to work my abs harder on the days I work them. Then, my abs are sore on my rest day. This gives them a chance to repair any muscle that has been torn on the days I work them. It's also important to do different ab exercises and not just the same ones all the time because your body will get used to doing the same thing.

I'm not an expert, but I've been working on this for the last couple of years. It's a good idea to try different things and see what works for you. And lastly, diet is at least 50% of the equation. If you are working out and not eating enough protein, and too much fat, it may be all for naught.

I do not consider myself a guru either but this has been a part of my life since hs sports. I managed a small gym and assisted people as a personal trainer. People ask me what I do all the time as I'm fit and very active. I can say... the fitness world is plagued with the same trends/fads as everything else, flip flopping all over the place-- take the latest *expert* findings with a grain of salt. Protein/carb debate comes to mind as well as misconceptions about aerobic exercise. IMHO The biggest factor is your body type, second is your current metabolism & possibly needing to reset it, third the kind of foods you eat makes a huge difference in how your body responds to the type/amount of exercise you do. I have seen women who lift weights and bulk up (because of what they are eating, body type etc.), so I'm not sure what to make of the newer findings.:):)