Menu

Writing Tales?, FLL3?, WWE?

daisychics

Which comes after FLL2 (obviously FLL3 :glare:) -- I mean - I'm confused about which to use and when. Ds will be doing FLL2 (maybe, might switch) in about 2 weeks. Hopefully someone can enlighten me, so I know which direction to go. :confused:

*Ds is doing fine with FLL2 - I'm the one that needs something different. I'm hoping WWE will be the answer, it's just hard not having the actual (whole) book to look at.

Or maybe I just need a vacation from all this. :D

Thank you for listening.

What exactly are you questioning? Academics, teaching style, format?

Remember your attitude about the subject or materials will come through when you're using them. A passionate teacher...or at least one that's not sighing each time they open a text/book, will be better. Also if you like the materials, you will use them and not find excuses or reasons not to.

Find out what YOU're looking for and I bet there will be a curriculum that fits your vision, at least partially. Lol.

:chillpill: Take one and call me in the morning,

Daisychic, There's no reason why you have to move on to the FLL2 portion just because you've finished FLL1. Take a break and do some Mad Libs. Or better yet, call your grammar finished for the year!!! He's only 1st grade, lol. Take the break you're wanting. It's a sign. :)

FLL is for grammar while WWE is for writing. Yes, I know you probably knew that :D They can be used in combo but don't have to. My story is similar to yours. Started w/ FLL 1/2 and stopped. It wasn't my style nor was it ds's (most importantly). Too much review and repetition. Otherwise, good program. I still pull it out for the narration exercises now and then. FLL3 is a bit different...still the "scripted" style which I didn't like, but not as much repetition/review. I really like the look of it b/c it is a gentle approach to 3rd gr. grammar and beginning diagramming..I just use my own words. As for WWE or WT...I really like the looks of WT...a lot! So....I'm going w/ my gut and getting WT1 for my ds8. WT is NOT recommended until 3rd gr. (if memory serves me) so keep that in mind. I'm also going to look at WWE at the NOVA conf. in July (North VA). I'm pretty sure I'll get JUST the text of WWE to use w/ my ds6 (2nd grade next year). FWIW...when I stopped doing FLL 1/2 w/ my ds8...I didn't add anything else. We do grammar informally once in a while ("Ds...show me the nouns in this sentence or Ds...show me the verbs or the action part of the sentence, etc."). We've done NO formal grammar since like October. I'm also not doing formal grammar w/ my ds6...he doesn't like FLL 1/2 either and isn't ready for R&S yet. He'll do fine w/ FLL 3 when we come to it as will ds8. Does this make sense?

For you..your ds is 6, right? I would either continue w/ FLL 1/2 (if HE is doing well...forget that it's not your style as long as HE is doing well!) or just drop it. You can start WWE for writing at the 2nd grade level when it comes out (he'll still be 6 or 7, right?). That's my recommendation...FLL 1/2 for grammar (if he is doing well with it) combined w/ WWE. If you like WT...do it when he reaches 3rd grade. Hope that makes sense...my thoughts are a bit jumbled today! Sorry.

Sue,

You made sense to me! I just downloaded the samples AGAIN from PHP for WWE to refresh my memory because originally I wanted to buy it 2 months ago. :)

Dh and I are gonna go to NOVA too (I hope) we might have to bring dc with us, maybe I'll bump into you. :) When I have WWE in my hand, I'll probably buy it. If I remember, (I read here) they are going to have a copy to look at or buy (not sure).

Yes, I will probably keep doing FLL2 because he really doesn't mind it. I will order FLL3 just so I can compare it and maybe go ahead and use it after FLL2 along with WWE. If those don't work, there's always WT1 :tongue_smilie:.

Thanks for helping.

Daisychic, There's no reason why you have to move on to the FLL2 portion just because you've finished FLL1. Take a break and do some Mad Libs. Or better yet, call your grammar finished for the year!!! He's only 1st grade, lol. Take the break you're wanting. It's a sign. :)

That's an awesome idea! We're going to California in May so that'll be my vacation....wooohooo California Disney and Legoland :auto: here we come!!

DS LOVEs Mad Libs. :lol:

But I will be doing FLL2 when we get back. For now. :)

As for FLL3...check your local library. Mine miraculously had a copy! I was able to get a good look at it before I finally purchased it used. AS for WT1...remember it isn't recommended until grade 3. The writing might be a bit much for a 7yo (esp. for a 6yo). Personally, and this is just me, I'd go w/ WWE for 2nd grade. Hope to see you at NOVA. :)

Just another thought. It might be a good time to listen to swb's writing without fear cd. It really helped me understand the writing process. Also, I think Writing Tales 1 might include enough grammar for you, without having to add in fll3. But, that is in another year for you. For second grade, I would work on reading fluency, oral narration and copywork. Take a break and leave fll2, or whatever you chose, for next year.

Just another thought. It might be a good time to listen to swb's writing without fear cd. It really helped me understand the writing process. Also, I think Writing Tales 1 might include enough grammar for you, without having to add in fll3. But, that is in another year for you. For second grade, I would work on reading fluency, oral narration and copywork. Take a break and leave fll2, or whatever you chose, for next year.

:iagree:Yah, I have the cd. I will listen to it. Thank you for reminding me.

As for FLL3...check your local library. Mine miraculously had a copy! I was able to get a good look at it before I finally purchased it used. AS for WT1...remember it isn't recommended until grade 3. The writing might be a bit much for a 7yo (esp. for a 6yo). Personally, and this is just me, I'd go w/ WWE for 2nd grade. Hope to see you at NOVA. :)

I HAVE DECIDED. Yay! I put in my order for FLL3, FLL3 workbook, WWE, WWE workbook 2. :D I can't wait 'till July to see WWE at Nova-so I placed my order! Thanks for your help. I went back at the old threads and read everyone comments (especially SWB's). Whew.... on to the next :auto:..... books for TOG.