Menu

Oh goodness. Maybe I can't do this? (Discarded Images)

I am not an idiot. Or at least I didn't think so. Now granted, I don't push myself. And, yes, I do occasionally read less than brilliant works. But, seriously? I'm in trouble here.

So the assignment, Year 2, Rhetoric, read Discarded Image. And so I assigned it to lovely daughter #1. She tells me, "I'm NOT getting it." So, being a sweet and sympathetic mama, :D I volunteer to read aloud with her and discuss.

Please, someone tell me, have I lost brain cells? Is anyone else confused by C.S. Lewis breaking out in greek and various languages in the midst of writing and NEVER translating? Help. Is there a Discarded Images for Dummies version? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edited by BlsdMama

If memory serves me correctly, I think The Discarded Image is on the "continuing student" list and not the beginning lit student's list. I would leave it alone for now.

I taught two co-op TOG lit. classes when we did year 2, and only three of my 11th graders "got it", (one of those is a national merit scholar, and another is now at college majoring in lit.). I will now only use that book as a challenge for the VERY interested student.

BTW- do you have DE or print? If you have print only, look in the front cover and see if you have 1st printing. TOG has made some adjustments after the first printing to use DI book for only the experienced students.

HTH,

Leanna

It's the Year 2 Re-Design print. Yes, it's for continuing... But, honestly, I didn't foresee her needing any help in literature. :) I've since read that the first three chapters are a little challenging. Perhaps we'll keep going. Perhaps not.

I have done a little research for you. You have a first printing of the Redesign. You can see this on your copyright page. There were so many complaints about the difficulty of The Discarded Image by the first round of users, that TOG removed it from the assignments in the 2nd printing. The only reason I even knew there were 2 printings, is because I had a 1st printing, and half of my co-op had a 2nd printing. When I started assigning the Discarded Image, some students didn't have it on their yellow assignment pages. I emailed Lampstand, and Dana explained what had happened. When I taught year 2 in my co-op, there was no way any of my 9th and 10th graders could have grasped that book.

HTH,

Leanna

When I taught year 2 in my co-op, there was no way any of my 9th and 10th graders could have grasped that book.

HTH,

Leanna

That DOES help. (Picks head up slightly and doesn't feel so ashamed to not be able to read Greek...) So what you're saying is my 13yo would find it difficult? Maybe a little? :P Good, now I can skip it with no guilt!