Menu

VideoText Alg vs Foerster's Algebra?

A friend is offering VT modules A-C for $100. I won't be needing this for a couple of years but I like to learn ahead. I already own Foerster's Algebra - found it used at a couldn't pass up price. Can someone compare these two for me? What type of learner would like each one? My son is finishing up Rightstart levels A-E. We'll be moving into Rightstart Geo and cement some topics with Singapore Math levels 5 and 6.

Thank you for your time,

Capt_Uhura

I'm not an expert on VideoText, but I have heard that its sequence is less traditional (not sure if that means the sequence in which topics are introduced or the fact that it doesn't use the normal Alg I/Geo/Alg II cycle). It was one of the very first programs to show a teacher teaching the course. It would be appropriate for visual and audio learners.

We use Foerster's with the Math Without Borders CD-ROM. It, too, uses a taped teacher (whom you hear but don't see) writing on a whiteboard. The teacher is very good, though not very exciting. I believe my daughter is receiving excellent teaching from watching him. Foerster's is very traditional, with many, many practice problems. There are so many problems that we are taking 2-3 days on most lessons.

VideoText has not been reviewed by the Mathematically Correct reviewers, but Foerster's has, and it received an A+ rating.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think I might pass on the VT Alg even though $100 for Modules A-C is tempting especially since I have Foester's.

iwka - I don't know the answer to your question. I have read that some go straight into algebra after SM 6B. Others do a year of LOF or some other pre-algebra but I think sometimes that is more for gaining maturity.

I just borrowed a copy of Videotext from a friend so my dd could evaluate it (trying to decide between that and Lial's BCM).

My dd hated it, both the videos and the accompanying printed material. They are very dry. She much preferred the look of the BCM (even when I pointed out that it had way more problems to do!).

However, my friend's older dd did very well with it (got her from mediocre to good math student), and her younger dd seems to be doing fine as well (just finished first module). So, as with everything, YMMV. :)

oh my actually I already own VT module A. :001_huh: I got it pretty cheaply a year ago to evaluate.

What attracted me to VT A back then was that it explained the WHY's of math and not just taught algorithms which is why I like Rightstart Math and Dr. Cotter recommends VT due to it's similarities to her method of teaching. I want DS to understand why invert and multiply works - not just memorize a ditty. Does Foerster's teach the WHY's or just the How? I suppose I should make time to sit and read through it. I'm in the midst of revamping history and trying to sell my house and trying to buy a house......can you tell it's been an overwhelming morning? I finally gave in and put my 3yr old in front of the TV. She was having a fit over not being able to draw a face correctly. :glare:

My DS11 is doing VT....it doesn't HAVE to take 2 years as someone else posted. It CAN take2 years, if you choose to stretch it out or need to go slowly.

VT is workign well for DS. He is a mathy guy,and it comes very easy to him. What I like about it, as Mom, is that I don't have to watch the lessons to figure out what's going on to help him (I'm so very NOT mathy!), It comes with the workbook to go with the lesson, but also a lesson notes book, and of course FULL solutions, not just answers, in another book.

What I like, unlike other DVD programs, although there is a "talking head", he only is there to explain, but when it comes to visuals, it's computer graphics, not him standing in front of a white board actually writing the stuff, which I have seen in other DVD, and find distracting.

DS will to the VT Algebra, and then VT Geom, and then he should be well on his way to community college math courses.