Menu

Favorite online math?

I'm looking at online math options. I don't think I can handle math all the way through high school, so it makes sense to find a solution that could be used for all of high school. I'd love to have your recommendations! Here is what I've found so far:

Potter's School -- meets once per week for 90 minutes, uses Chicago Math, has courses to cover all of high school, has an extra session per week available for Algebra 1 (at an additional charge), but not for other math classes.

Memoria Press -- meets once per week, uses Abeka for Algebra 1 (1.5 hours per week) and Algebra 2 (1.75 hours per week), other classes not listed on this year's schedule or next.

Veritas Press -- meets twice per week (all the way through HS math) for 1.5 hours each time, Algebra 1 & Geometry use Jacob's, Algebra 2 & Pre-Calc use Foresters, Calculus uses Calculus: Early Transcendental Functions (haven't heard of that one).

Will you share your favorites and any experiences you have with any of the above? I like the idea of meeting twice a week for math, which has me wondering about Veritas Press, but I've been looking at The Potter's School's Classical Track as a high school option. (Any comments on that are also welcome. :) )

Jann in TX from this board teaches online math classes and she's great. My ds is currently taking Algebra I with Jann. My "I hate math" ds just this morning stated that he now likes math. I attribute that to Jann. She has a way of helping the students understand what is being taught, she's flexible with scheduling assignments, and her prices are very reasonable.

www.MyHomeschoolMathClass.com

My dd takes precal from Ken Martin at Veritas Press. I believe he's teaching Algebra 1 next yr. She very much likes the class. Mr. Martin explains things very well and there's some good class discussion.

With Veritas press there is a cumulative semester test (tests everything you've learned fom teh beginning) which was a challenge for her, but I'm glad she had this experience so she could learn how to prepare for such a thing before college.

My oldest son took Algebra II last year and is currently in Precalculus at Veritas Press. My middle son is currently in the PreAlgebra class at Veritas Press. I went with the twice a week class option that Veritas Press offers because I thought that it gave them an extra chance to ask for any clarifications they needed instead of waiting an entire week for class again.

My oldest scored in the high 90's percentile in math on the ACT and PSAT but I'd have to go look at the scores to tell you for sure what they were. I don't know if that's due to the classes or just he fact that he's very math minded.

So far the teachers have always been quick to respond to any emails that I have sent them asking questions about my children's grades. I also like the fact that if there is some reason that my boys have to miss a class, they can watch it in an archive. That also means that if they just don't understand something, they can go back to any class to rewatch the lecture. Veritas Press leaves the entire year of lectures up until the year ends.

You can email me privately if you have any questions you would like for me to answer or I'll try to check back on this board.

She has a way of helping the students understand what is being taught, she's flexible with scheduling assignments, and her prices are very reasonable.

www.MyHomeschoolMathClass.com

I totally agree! My son is taking Geometry with her and he is really enjoying it. She has a great way of challenging and stretching them without them even noticing! My son convinced his "math hating" sister to take classes with Jann next year.

HTHs,

We haven't used it, but how about The Art of Porblem Solving?

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Classes/AoPS_C_About.php

My son takes classes from AoPS and loves them. The teachers he's had know their stuff and really seem to enjoy teaching. I would recommend them if your child is comfortable with math. Someone who's struggling with concepts could have trouble keeping up.

Guest Mystic

Potter's School will be adding an optional second session per week for each of all of their math courses, next year. It's $100 more if you choose to take it, which makes the tuition for the math course plus the extra session each week the same price as Veritas' two-day class.