Menu

Calvin College in Michingan??

Helen in OH

I have a son finishing up his sophomore year of phs. We are starting to look at schools that have an engineering and swimming programs.

Does anyone have any information in regards to Calvin? At this point it looks like a good choice if he is accepted.

Thank-you,

Helen in OH

My son was accepted there, but is ending up going elsewhere. They are a decent Christian school - reasonably liberal in the Christian sense (only evolution (theistic, I presume), homos_xuality ok, etc), but there appears to be two "crowds" - those that go for drinking, etc, and those that don't. I was warning my son that he would have to be careful in picking his crowd as he's not the drinking type. He picked a different school because of the better merit aid offered, and, we're slightly more conservative than Calvin.

As far as academics go, only Wheaton and Grove City appeared higher with SAT/ACT scores. Hope, Union, and Cedarville were peers. Hope is also liberal (probably moreso). Cedarville is pretty conservative. Union is on the conservative side, but I don't think it's as much as Cedarville would be.

A friend's son went to Calvin. She felt that it was very liberal, but b/c her son was in the engineering program, it worked well for him.

One of my dds went to Grove City - she loved it. Excellent school. Engineering & swimming are big.

Anne

That's interesting 'cause I know a pastor's son who was kicked out from Calvin for drinking. I sort of assumed it was a completely dry campus. Pretty naive of me, I guess. :glare:

I think Calvin is in the midst of changing to become more liberal than it used to be. That was the impression I got as we did our research on the place (my son was accepted there but has chosen elsewhere). Reading some of their school newspapers was enlightening (as was talking to some alumni and students).