Menu

Grapes of Wrath resources or lesson plans?

We will be reading Grapes of Wrath over the next few weeks. (Family friends will be in a play in April, so we want to read it prior to seeing the play.)

Can anyone suggest a favorite set of lesson plans or literature guide? I'd love something that walked us through a bit of literature analysis, background info, etc. I can pull stuff together on my own, of course, using Cliff notes, etc, but I was hoping for something that was laid out into lessons if possible.

FWIW, my dd13 will be doing this for sure. . . She reads at a highschool/college level. So, I'd think something geared for high school level would be ideal.

(My ds10 might be joining us as well. Once I've reread it . . .it's been 20 years!!. . . I will decide for sure on whether he will read it. . . might read it aloud or popcorn style with him. He reads on a highschool level or above, but might get irritated with the length, or just have attitude. . . and I don't want to push him too hard right now on this issue.)

Any suggestions from the hive?

TIA!!!!!!!

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rguides/us/grapes_of_wrath.html I use the penguin guides all the time as the discussion questions are for discussion not mere recall of irrelevant facts. There are a wide range of titles available at penguin. I love The Grapes of Wrath but also am very liberal in what I permit dd to read if you have not preread this one it would not be a bad idea to do so. I had Eugene O Neill's Desire Under the Elms as a play for this year until I reread it and decided it was best for a later time. YMMV .

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/rguides/us/grapes_of_wrath.html I use the penguin guides all the time as the discussion questions are for discussion not mere recall of irrelevant facts. There are a wide range of titles available at penguin. I love The Grapes of Wrath but also am very liberal in what I permit dd to read if you have not preread this one it would not be a bad idea to do so. I had Eugene O Neill's Desire Under the Elms as a play for this year until I reread it and decided it was best for a later time. YMMV .

LOL, I am liberal on lots of levels, so I don't think I'll have a problem with the content. I'm actually excited about it on lots of levels. (Note that the creepy nursing scene apparently caused huge controversy even prior to publication. . . with the publishers duking it out with the author about getting rid of that scene!! Steinbeck stuck to his guns. . . but that's probably more info than anyone needed. . . although I can see it segueing (sp? wish I had a spell check on my browser!!) into an interesting conversation about artistic freedom. . .)

Thanks, tho', for the forewarnings, from both of you! You never know what issues might worry a mom. . . I always appreciate a heads-up. Recently, we had an issue with my dd13's bookclub b/c a book that had been suggested featured a character who used (mild) bad language. (Note that these friends have cable TV, unfiltered youtube/internet. . . and video games including the really really bad ones. . . but, nevermind. . .) ;)

I have read it many years ago, and just started it again today. . . So should have it read before the hard-copy I ordered for dd comes in next week. (I love my kindle!!!!!!!! Instant gratification on books is now at hand! Whoopdedooooo!!)

I'm off to the penguin site! THANKS!!!!

What a timely thread for us! My 13 yo dd has just started reading it for her public library book club (it's a teen club). I am also reading it for the first time ever, I am half way through. Thank you to the OP for posting and thank you other board members for your suggestions and opinions.