Menu

Girl's Basketball--Scholarships? Colleges?

lovemywhirlygirls

My oldest daughter is 12 and has shown a growing interest in basketball. She likes it enough that she is choosing it above other strong interests. I'm curious to know if any of you have girls who have sought or received basketball scholarships. Which colleges are the most basketball scholarship friendly? What have you learned going through the process of high school with a daughter who loves basketball and what do you know now that you wish you'd known then that you can impart to a mom just beginning this road with her daughter?

I'd be grateful for any info.

Thanks in advance!

The most important piece of advice is not to expect any return from youth sports, no matter how accomplished someone is at the 12 year old level.

Of some 450,000 girls playing high school basketball, about 6,000 will receive athletic scholarships.

http://andagain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=4598524

Particularly with basketball, so much depends on athleticism and hight--things that no amount of talent and hard work can compensate for. As someone who played two sports at the college level (though my scholarship was for academics), I think playing organized sports, at the highest level is very valuable, but enjoy it for the lessons it teaches in hard work, teamwork, and sportsmanship, not to get a college scholarship.

SAT scores and good grades are the route to scholarships.

Now, get your daughter the best training possible, and make sure she enjoys the game. If at 15 your daughter is a top high school player, and is likely to be 5'10" or taller, you can begin to think about a scholarship.