Menu

Spellwell or R&S spelling?

LadyAberlin

I don't know much about Spellwell. I didn't care for it when I looked at it.

I liked R&S Spelling. I liked that they put words in cursive as well as manuscript. I like that they work with words to show meanings and phonetics. If you look in the TM at some point they also start dictation using the same spelling list. So this got my vote!

My dd's spelling has actually improved with Spellwell. She enjoys the lessons and went from getting half of them wrong each week to really having a handle on spelling. If you look at it, it is really not all over the place. It appears unstructured at first, but it isn't. It was a vast improvement from Spelling Power.

I can't compare, but I can rave for R&S spelling. R&S really makes the kids work with the spelling rules. The word lists may seem a hair on the easy side, but they really know that spelling pattern by the time they're done with the lesson. Ds's spelling really improved when he started R&S. He had a learning curve to get used to how they teach, but once he had it down he could easily do it independently.

I haven't actually used the grammar stage R&S spelling books yet. I am thoroughly sold on the logic stage set though. My littles have always started with A Reason For Spelling. When the TEs I still have from the older two run out, my littles will switch over to R&S. My fourth grader in SWO right now will also switch over to R&S this fall.