Menu

Jean in Wisc- Spanish update others need input too

Hi Jean,

I made the changes you suggested in the way to grade. I also discovered that I was supposed to be grading some of it. When I did that his grade went up to an 89. So a paper easily brought it up. Plus, I discovered that even though I told him he could take tests open book, he had not been. He thought it was cheating. So that solid B was all on his own. By taking the tests open book, he has made anywhere from a 100, 98 or 95. His SOS average is now a 90. So now his grades are up where they need to be. HOWEVER, on this last test he couldn't understand what the person was trying to say in Spanish that he was supposed to answer. Grin, I can't translate it. If that is our weakness with this program, it is that. He can read it easily, but can't really speak. (That by the way is the whole reason I took Latin in high school, so I wouldn't sound like an idiot since it isn't a spoken language and you don't have to converse in it.... )

So.. he will obviously continue SOS Spanish I. I'm guessing he will be 3/4 through by the end of the year. We would continue a little over the summer and try to finish it up by Christmas. Now, there is a very good Spanish teacher at the CC. They normally offer a Spanish I class there in the spring. He would only be a 10th grader. Could he keep up with the speaking part of it??? How can I supplement that? Or should I have him just go on to SOS Spanish II or some other curriculum and wait until the fall of his junior year to take it?

Or, would schools count Latin as the foreign language? We had thought Spanish since in TExas that is very useful. However, I could actually help him with Latin and I bet he would do well on the national exams. It got me into Baylor, but I know things have changed. AS an education major I didn't have to have foreign language at the college, but they changed that requirement shortly after I left. Actually, I think it changed while I was there but I was grandfathered in without it.

Christine

Edited by choirfarm