Menu

Apologia Botany

I was looking at the Apologia Botany sample a few weeks ago and my son was in the room and asked me what I was looking at and to read it to him. I did, and in my opinion, I thought it was a little over his head. However, he's brought it up a couple times over the last few weeks and I was wondering, is it appropriate for K/1st grade? I know what the website says, but I'm curious from actual experience. Thanks!

Edited by Guest

Guest Cindie2dds

Hmm.... I just sold mine. It was okay. Too scripted for me, but I have so many friends that just rave about it. I think if your child sits and listens well to read alouds without pictures, they would enjoy it and comprehend it just fine. I couldn't get over reading it in first person like I was the one that wrote the lesson. One friend of mine has done it two years in a row. Maybe I just have a hard time following anything scripted right now. It's a season we're in. :)

HTH!

My oldest dd used Apologia Botany on her own when she was in 6th grade. I have also used their Flying Creatures and part of the Astronomy, and their botany seemed more advanced than either of those, maybe because the realm of plants seems less familiar than birds/insects/ butterflies or space. That said, if your son is interested, it would be worth giving it a try and if it seems too difficult, put it away for later. You'll learn a lot yourself unless you're already versed in botany! I thought it was a great course (I read it, though my dd had requested to do it on her own).

We did Botany when my two oldest were K and 2nd. My K'er enjoyed it, but she doesn't remember much of it now. My 2nd grader did retain a lot. I remember when we were studying it, she went on a field trip with another homeschool family. She found spores on a fern and explained what they were to the other kids. A proud homeschool moment! ;)

I think Botany can be adjusted for a K'er. If the readings get too long, stop reading before he looses interest and do something hands-on. We planted a garden, disected flowers, etc... I love Apologia science. We are just finishing Astronomy. Then we're doing Swimming Creatures, and maybe we'll do Botany again. I think the girls would absorb different things now that they are older.

Sorry I rambled on. Short answer - Go for it! I think you and your son would have fun with it.

We've done the Apologia Astronomy book and have started the Botany one. It's clearly a big step up from the Astronomy book. Why not start with that one? My ds 6 could cope with Astronomy, but he couldn't yet with the Botany book (doing that one with dds 9 and 10).

One last piece of advice, if you live in the middle of Central Asia, don't start the Botany book on the 10th of January, there won't be ANYTHING to look at outside for quite some time, dhoooo, how stupid am I?!:D

We've done the Apologia Astronomy book and have started the Botany one. It's clearly a big step up from the Astronomy book. Why not start with that one? My ds 6 could cope with Astronomy, but he couldn't yet with the Botany book (doing that one with dds 9 and 10).

One last piece of advice, if you live in the middle of Central Asia, don't start the Botany book on the 10th of January, there won't be ANYTHING to look at outside for quite some time, dhoooo, how stupid am I?!:D

Or if you live in Minnesota ;). We'll be starting this some time in April!

It is generally considered to be the toughest of the series (before the most recent books were released anyway).

I don't know if that's still the case or not.

I think if one were to use Apologia, a neat way to do it would be to get all the books and kind of sporadically go through them (on purpose of course) scheduling sections of the various books that jive with whatever season you're in.

I was actually wondering about this. I am considering Botany for next year, but I live in CO. Granted, we do have 4 full seasons here (I don't live in the mountains), but it's not unusual for us to have snow in Sept. or May. What sort of experiments and such are there? Would we have to miss several of them?

If would suggest using the Apologia Astronomy first if you want to use any of the Elementary Apologia. In our experience here, my son was 7 when we started using the Botany but it was just a little bit harder for him to grasp, so we switch to their Astronomy which was really great for his age and he had learned so much. We did the Botany the next year and he did so much better that time. He did learn a lot from it and I did too. :001_smile:

I'm glad this was posted.

I just purchased Apologia Astron, Botany and Zoo 1, 2 and 3...because the price was right and I've heard big raves about this science. I have a K'er and a First grader and I am going to start on Astron first and hope that it goes well for my K'er....if not we'll focus on what we were already doing for science which is anything she wants to study that is science related..hehe and continue with my first grader and Apologia as I think she'll love this science.

I skimmed thru the book during my oldest's second grade. Now with her being in forth she can read the book herself and I can skim with my Pre-K and Ker. I like the apologia for the older reader because they can read the book themselves and then do the activies together when it's time. I have all the books and enjoy having them as part of our schooling.