Menu

If you had to teach reading again....

cam112198

what would you use? I am getting ready to teach my ds and dd to read and was trying to decide what to use. I used Abeka with my dd7 and was contemplating using something different. I own Phonics Pathways and OPGTR and I like the looks of both. I was also wondering if there was something else out there that I am not aware of. I hear a lot of great things about McRuffy for phonics. I am looking for something simple, but effective.

Thank you!

I'm trying to figure out how to teach spelling. I'm looking at ElizabethB's website again about Webster's spelling book and how reading and spelling used to be taught. The article on that page, "Why Noah Webster's Way Was the Right Way," is a must read and has me thinking. If I were to teach reading again, I think I would use the Webster's speller and a Latin reader.

I taught my dd5.5 to read using OPG. She reads fairly well, but it's becoming obvious she reads in context, even with no pictures. She doesn't like to sound out words that she doesn't know anymore. She just mumbles them and keeps going unless I stop her and make her sound it out.

I am a very good reader and I read a lot, but I'm realizing I read in context too, it's just that my vocabulary is a lot bigger than my daughter's. I have a difficult time sounding out unfamiliar words. Like these nonsense words from ElizabethB's site: melloyment, becime, coorninace. I'm not sure of how to pronounce them!? I could take a guess and maybe I would be right, but I'm not sure. I had no idea I was lacking in phonics instruction!

Hmm.. just thinking out loud. There's so much to learn!:tongue_smilie:

You know, I'm kind of glad I don't have to teach reading again, but if I did, I would use Phonics Pathways for the 3rd time. It is not fun and games and both dds went through a period of really disliking the phonics part of our day, BUT at the end they could read anything they wanted. They finished PP in the middle of first grade able to read long chapter books (upper elementary level). I would not be tempted to try anything else since I've seen such great success with PP.

I don't know. I've always had sucess with the 100 EZ lessons reading. I started this with my oldest but she just built her little wall and refused to do it with me. My 2nd daughter read through it and is my better reader, and my 3rd daughter is using it and is reading well too, and my 3 yr old is actually starting to sound out words:>)

In the end my 2nd and 3rd daughters are better readers and my oldest has now caught up to grade level yet at the same time can't sound out an unfamiliar word to save her life.

I also like using the Leap Frog videos in conjunction with it as well.

Reading/phonics instruction is one of the things I wouldn't change at all if I had it to do over again. 100 Easy Lessons when they're 3/4 years old, followed by Spell to Write and Read (or similar) once they're reading pretty well and can write a bit.

SBP

I wish I could go back in time with my 11 yr. old ds and my 8 yr. old dd.

My son's reading is okay but I'm convined if he had used this from the beginning he would have excelled. I am using it now (better late than never) and he is thriving with it. I can only imagine how well he'd be doing if I could do it all over again with SWR.

My 8 yr. old dd has had a TERRIBLE time learning to read and boy what I would give if I could turn back time and start her in SWR from the beginning!!! We have just started using it this semester and she has already made more progress in her reading than she made in 2 years using programs like ETC, 100 Easy lessons, etc.

SWR is definitely what I would use from the beginning with both of my kids if I could do it over again.

I've taught four of mine to read so far, and will still have two to go (2yo and one "in the oven"). I wouldn't change anything. We use Phonics Pathways as our main course, adding in easy readers like BOB books and Now I'm Reading (by Nora Gaydos) when they're ready, and supplementing with fun stuff like http://www.starfall.com and Leapfrog videos.

Thanks for all your suggestions!! I am leaning towards PP, but may take a peak at SWR.

Whatever you decide to use, I recommend doing at least the first few months worth of lessons on a white board, it holds their attention better and reinforces the L to R direction of reading.

ElizabethB, when you say doing the lessons on the whiteboard, do you mean letting them see me write the words out? Thanks for the suggestion!

Hello ~

I'll preface my answer by stating the obvious:

Not every program is what is best for every child and just because something is the flavor of the month doesn't mean it is the best . . .

My DD 11 is an avid reader and tested at the eight grade level in second grade. We used ABEKA for her. I kept the ABEKA series in case I ever teach any younger children again.

Best Wishes,

Dina :001_smile:

I am just about to finish up OPGTR with my daughter and plan on beginning it with my younger son next year. She went through a period of disliking phonics last year (K), but the lessons are so short, we just kept plugging along. This year (1st) phonics has been her favorite subject, and she is able to read chapter books independently now. I had also bought ETC for reinforcement, but I haven't found workbook-type phonics to be necessary or effective for us.

For my son, I plan on using the white board for some of our lessons, as I predict that he will be a little more resistant than my daughter was.

It's a bit pricier than some of the other programs but it is a sound phonics approach to reading. I used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with my daughter. It worked and she is a good speller - but I think that is just her. My son was a tough one. We started Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons but it wasn't working, we tried Winter Promise LA K, Pathway Readers and finally went to Phonics Road. I worked very well for him. I think you have to go with the approach that works for your individual child. Also - don't be suprised if your dd responds better to one approach and your ds responds better to another approach.

Good luck,

JoAnne

I would use OPGTTR again. We've had 2 times with 100 EZ Lessons, with both of those kids throwing up a wall about 3/4 of the way through. I've had 1 1/2 times with OPGTTR (dd 4 is about 1/2 way through) and will use it again with #5. No walls at all, smooth sailing all the way through.

There are some great choices out there.

Of all of the phonics programs I have used, Play N' Talk is my favorite. But I don't think the complete program is available new. Sometimes it can be found on Ebay for a decent price. Just make sure it is on DVD's and not cassette tapes or records.

Also, I would use the reading readiness program "Get Ready for the Code, Get Set for the Code, Go for the Code" - the primer to the ETC series. It's available at www.christianbooks.com. This should be used before using a phonics program such as Alpha Phonic or Play N' Talk.

If you don't want to purchase "Play N' Talk" than I would suggest getting "Alpha Phonics" ,"Phonics Pathways" or some other very basic phonics program and get "Happy Phonics" to go along with it to make it fun.

I would also use something fun along with whatever phonics program I was using, such as "The Junior Phonics Game" and I would find other games. Teacher Created Materials has some resources you can purchase inexpensively to make your own fun phonics games.

Also, be sure to take a look at www.starfall.com

Do hands on activities when learning the letters and their sounds, such as making each letter out of play doh, or cookie dough. Finger painting the letters. Make or purchase a set of upper case and lower case letters out of sand paper for your child to trace over each letter with their finger. Have your child write the letters with their finger in corn meal before they learn to write with a pencil.

I believe there are many choices of good phonics programs on the market. A few are NOT user friendly. There's no point in making life hard on yourself by using one that is difficult to use.

I began homeschooling 18 years ago and have used a couple of different programs since then.

Things I would NOT use again include

100 EZ Lessons.

SWR based on Spalding or anything else based on the Spalding book titled "The Writing Road to Reading". It is one thing I regret having ever used. It is the least user friendly program I know of on the market.

Edited by Miss Sherry

If I didn't want to figure anything out on my own I would go with Sensational Strategies for teaching beginning readers (Orton-Gillingham) and follow it with either Phonics Road (Spalding based which I am thinking still may need adjusting for 1st grade as it is advanced) or Recipe for Reading (Orton-Gillingham).

All-About-Spelling is so excellent that my bet is that All-About-Reading is going to be the best after it is completed. My only worry is that it would be too slow moving, but I don't know yet. My DD was done with phonics for reading by the time she was 5 and I really like that.

ElizabethB, when you say doing the lessons on the whiteboard, do you mean letting them see me write the words out? Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes, you write the words large (and I like all uppercase, it helps prevent B/D confusion and is easier to write neatly) on a whiteboard and they see you writing them, it is much more interactive than a book. Plus, my children love to pick the color we use for the day. I also like to combine a bit of spelling and have them spell a word or two. First, you have them spell a word you have just read, then words you have read a few words ago, then phonetically regular words they have not yet read that lesson. You need to give hints at first, "mmmmmat," what sound does the word start with? Right, mmm. What letter says mmmm? Right, M. Write M on your whiteboard.

Happy Phonics

I'm at the tail end of teaching ds7 to read, just beginning with my 3yo and dd4 is in the middle there.

For my 4yo and 3yo, I will focus on HP games and handwriting until they are about 1st grade. Then we'll start in SWR.

I started ds7 in SWR, and in some ways it was great and in others ways it is too "parts-to-whole." I'm glad to have both.;)

Yes, you write the words large (and I like all uppercase, it helps prevent B/D confusion and is easier to write neatly) on a whiteboard and they see you writing them, it is much more interactive than a book. Plus, my children love to pick the color we use for the day. I also like to combine a bit of spelling and have them spell a word or two. First, you have them spell a word you have just read, then words you have read a few words ago, then phonetically regular words they have not yet read that lesson. You need to give hints at first, "mmmmmat," what sound does the word start with? Right, mmm. What letter says mmmm? Right, M. Write M on your whiteboard.

:iagree:I've been using a whiteboard since you recommended it to me last year. My dd loves using the whiteboard, and she loves picking out the colors, too. I also have every word she has read typed out on little cards. She likes to practice reading them all the time. The whiteboard idea has been a wonderful tool and fun to boot!!!!:)

I'd use OPGTR again and wouldn't change a thing! Start with a whiteboard, and as the stories get longer, use the book directly.

Wait a second! Do I see AAR is coming out? I'd give that a look, but it would be hard to surpass OPG for us.

Edited by Satori

I started ds7 in SWR, and in some ways it was great and in others ways it is too "parts-to-whole." I'm glad to have both.;)
That's what I am trying to figure out for DS.

I would use the same thing we are using now - OPGTR - but would have started it earlier and used the magnetic tiles. Since we got AAS with the magnetic tiles, we use them along with the OPGTR and dd loves them!
Could you explain why the magnetic tiles are better than a white board? I am also wondering if the OPGTR tiles are worth buying if I already have the AAS tiles. Does anyone have thoughts on that? (I am still wondering if AAR will be the best, I am holding out to see it.)

Could you explain why the magnetic tiles are better than a white board? I am also wondering if the OPGTR tiles are worth buying if I already have the AAS tiles.

Not sure that it is necessarily better but for dd she prefers the tiles. We have used the whiteboard for the past 8 months or so and since implementing the magnetic tiles from AAS along with OPGTR it seems dd is retaining more and she likes it better!

All-About-Spelling is so excellent that my bet is that All-About-Reading is going to be the best after it is completed. My only worry is that it would be too slow moving, but I don't know yet. My DD was done with phonics for reading by the time she was 5 and I really like that.

I agree! We have loved AAS here. Do you know when All About Reading comes out?