Menu

American history series I just discovered!

My 9th grader had his spinal fusion surgery for his scoliosis yesterday! I spent the night in the hospital with him. Now I'm home with the younger kids, while dh sits with him today. I go back tonight! My son is doing very well so far!

Anyway, at the hospital I realized the book I had brought was too deeply theological for me to read in that situation. I wanted something easy to read and gripping. So I checked out the gift store at the hospital. Alas, their book selections stank! Except I noticed that in one corner they had a bunch of autographed books by a particular author who teaches at UVA. I bought the one on the American West. It is fantastic! This guy's got a whole series of books like this. If the others are like the one I'm reading (I'm really tempted to go buy them all!) they would make wonderful books for high school American History. Check them out here.

Edited by Faithr
changed wording! I'm sleep deprived!

These do look good. Can you comment on the "readability". One of the books said the age target was 9-12 years, but you commented on them being good for high school history. I'm looking for easily readable for my younger high schooler and these may be a good fit. I'm exp excited about the one about Virginia, as I had not yet figured out how to get in another look at the history of Virginia, and this looks great.

THanks for sharing,

LBS

PS Swift healing to your son!

I didn't see the one that was targeted for 9-12 but the one I am reading and the other ones that I saw were geared for older readers, though if your 12 yo was a strong reader and interested in history I could see these books possibly working for somebody like that.

I'd say that the writer's skill is a little easier than McCullough's and the subject matter is presented in an easier format because it is told in short story format. The stories are packed with interesting facts and lots of history and a focus on personalities. The author doesn't seem to dwell on the occasional sordid details except in a matter of fact way. For instance when talking about Meriweather Lewis' mysterious suicide, he mentions the fact that some historians feel Lewis had syphilis. The author though seems to really believe that Lewis was suffering mental illness due to advanced malaria. Stuff like this is handled well, but makes it more suitable for high school, I think.

Edited by Faithr