Menu

Keeping the trend - Physical Science, not rigorous?

My rising eighth grader is math phobic, but in spite of that is an excellent self-motivated student. We have done Apologia General this year through a co-op and she has done wonderfully. The mere sight of the Physical Science text is giving her hives, though. (Math formulas, etc.) She is def. a language arts gal, so we are not looking at her going into a science field in her future.

So - we don't HAVE to do Apologia Physical, do we? what other options can you wise ladies recommend? Christian Kids Explore series? Others?

I own Exploration Education kit for intermediate physical science that I could combine with my rising 5th grader, who is very science oriented.

Thanks!

Melinda

Hi Melinda!

Is your child college bound? If so, I encourage you to have her muddle through. You will be hard pressed to find a college, by the time she graduates, that will accept her without 4 math credits (Alg I, Alg II, Geometry and an upper math) and at least 3 credits in sciences WITH labs. All that we have seen want to see Biology with lab, Chemistry with lab and another choice with a lab. She will need the math for Chemistry.

Also, she will need the math for the ACT or SAT, which are also required for college admission.

Maybe if you found a math curriculum that explains *why* the formula? Chalkdust Math explains alot of what is behind what you are doing. I'm sure there are others. :)

Of course, if college is not an issue, then my thoughts are unnecessary. :)

My DS is working through Phys. Science and the math has been minimal. All formulas are given in the text and there have been very few math problems on the tests/quizzes. I would consider the math to be of tertiary importance in Phys. Science. The reading/concept is primary and the experiments are secondary. I have seen other science programs where math is a bigger factor.

Thanks, everyone. I should have clarified - this is for her last year of middle school, so I know we will have to tackle a high school level of physical science in the upcoming years, just wasn't sure if I needed to get very heavy for this last year of MS. I am thinking of doing TOG next year as well, and I am trying not to overwhelm ME!

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice - I am making notes of all the curriculums, and will be googling into the wee hours!

Thanks again

Melinda

I just went to the Noeo site and looked at samples. Of course, I am no expert, but it looks appropriate for a 7th grader to me---meaning I would use it. simply requiring more detailed notebooking and sketches, I think, can make it 7th grade.

I tend to disagree. :tongue_smilie: My 4th grader is doing Bio II. I have a 7th grader and I would not consider this adequate for her. The Chem III may be the only one I would consider adequate for 7th or 8th grade.

My DS is working through Phys. Science and the math has been minimal. All formulas are given in the text and there have been very few math problems on the tests/quizzes. I would consider the math to be of tertiary importance in Phys. Science. The reading/concept is primary and the experiments are secondary. I have seen other science programs where math is a bigger factor.

:iagree:One of my sons did this last year and the math is not that demanding. I wish my oldest child had the Physical Science course before tackling Chemistry her sophomore year of high school.

I tend to disagree. :tongue_smilie: My 4th grader is doing Bio II. I have a 7th grader and I would not consider this adequate for her. The Chem III may be the only one I would consider adequate for 7th or 8th grade.

It all depends on your child and what you expect, I guess. I personally think the notebooking and detailed lab write ups can be made more advanced without having to do a rigorous program like BJU or Abeka. The books that make up the spines for the programs have plenty of info and details. Some kids retain more with this Charlotte Mason/Classical style that typical textbook learning styles. And the Chem III is for up to 9th, although obviously some kids can do it earlier. My son did Chem II in 6th grade and it was quite appropriate.

My son did Chem II in 6th grade and it was quite appropriate.
My dd did the NOEO Chem. II in 6th grade also, and LOVED it! It was just what she wanted/needed. Maybe 7th would be okay with it, but much higher than that, probably not. ALTHOUGH, if you just use it as a base and do a lot of outside reading and "things", it'd probaby work....