Menu

Help me pick LA resources

LadyAberlin

I am going to be teaching a young 2nd grader who is easily overwhelmed. I will be teaching him 2 days per week for 1.5 hrs per day. The family is pretty relaxed and they are not Christian but they don't care if I use Christian materials is they are good. So I don't want it to be over the top Christian. I think Bible stories would be fine. I need spelling. grammar, writing, phonics, and reading. The mom just had a baby who is really fussy and has to be held a lot so she doesn't have a ton of time. English is also her 3rd language which is another reason she is having me teach him. What would you suggest I use? One of the things I'm looking at is LLATL red if I go with an all in one. But I'm also looking at things for if I want to piece it together myself. I guess there is also McRuffy I could look at for an all in one as well.

Webster's Speller has been really good for my ESL students. I had 2 ESL students who you could hardly tell their first language wasn't English when they spoke, they had been hearing English at school and speaking it with their friends since preschool, but they had a hard time with 3+ syllable words. After going through them in Webster, they finally got the accent/schwa pattern and started to say them like a native English speaker. (They were 2nd and 3rd grade.)

I would use First Language Lessons 1/2, Phonics Pathways, Spelling Workout?, copywork, and good books from the library.

My first graders use A Reason For Spelling, which I prefer over Spelling Workout. ARFS is nice and gentle, while being phonics based. It is Christian, but if you skip the stories in the TE you wouldn't see very much in the actual spelling lessons.