Menu

Umbrella schools

I attempted to post a couple of days ago, but now I can't find what I believed I had sent, so I am assuming it did not go through.

I am looking for advice on selecting an inexpensive, flexible, accredited, secular umbrella school.

I want the freedom to choose our own texts, as well as mixing in some distance or online courses from various sources, and have all those credits compiled in one accredited place which will issue a diploma at the end.

I am sure Clonlara would be great, but is too expensive. I am also very impressed with Laurel Spring's program (not an umbrella), but it costs as much as a brick&mortar private school, and is therefore out of the question.

I am somewhat familiar with NARHS, but have been looking into Forest Trail Academy lately.

If anyone has experience with either of these programs, or have another to recommend, I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Asmaa

I don't remember which one we attempted some years ago. Our experience was negative, though, so my suggestion is to obtain no-holds-barred feedback from other users of whatever program(s) you are investigating. (That is why you posted !)

We did not use any of the three you mentioned. If you want me to ferret out the answer, somehow, I'll try.

The umbrella school met your criteria only in the sense that it was fully "secular". It was not inexpensive; no such program is. We were stuck with the company's choice of texts.

The school proclaimed -- practically screamed in capital letters that it would provide close supervision of the student, and would send both e-mail enquiries and snail-mail enquiries if work were not received within the time frames specified. [ha! ha! ha!] . . . I was seriously ill that year, and unable to oversee ds' work much. (hence using that school) He dropped the ball on everything. We never heard so much as a diddly-squat from the school. They scooped the money and ran, to put it bluntly.

One potentially fruitful option for you depends on the state in which you live. Here in Texas, for example, there are two major universities which provide reasonably-priced (for what it is, I mean -- still could not call this "inexpensive") programs for K-12, based on the state requirements, and using state-endorsed "public school textbooks".

Your desire (fully understandable wish !) to select your own textbooks may not find available options, though. Affordably, I mean.

I hope that other people will have helpful answers for you ! (I did not. :sad: ) Their advice may help me down the road.

We use Home Life Academy which is Christian, but there are no religion requirements. There aren't any curriculum requirements at all, actually. We pick our own everything, report attendance and grades twice a year (don't know if that's because we're in TN or because HLA wants us to) and once a year submit a curriculum list (and I would like to point out that "field trips to the zoo, nature center and gardens" are on our curriculum list!). They have transcript and reporting options if you want them, but we don't use them. It's very inexpensive: $100 max per family. The website is http://www.homelifeacademy.com I'm sure you can find there whether or not their diploma is legal in your state.

Good luck!

We use this. We have been with them for 5 years. We love Mrs. Deborah.

We can choose your own texts, let her choose them, or any combo. You can call/email her at any time with questions and concerns. They offer online courses as well, or you can choose whatever you want [for example we do science through Potter's School]. She offers three levels of diplomas. We have moved through 3 states and she is available nationwide.

Hope that helps. PM if you have any other specific questions.