Menu

Michigan - Ferris State...

JFSinIL

Anyone have any input??? Since the FAFSA seems to think we are rolling in dough, most of the colleges that have accepted ds (and given huge merit scholarships) will still be financially out of reach (sigh - one should do the FAFSA during a kid's JUNIOR year, so as to know what one is facing). Ferris, which thanks to in-state tuition scholarship AND a merit scholarship comes in BELOW our "EFC" , is now the major contender. I am taking ds there this weekend for an Honors competition - Honors kids get PRIVATE ROOMS!!! and priority registration, so I am sure it will be competitive. Still, looks like they have a big biology department, which ds now thinks is his major.

Anyone from Big Rapids or thereabouts? Or familiar with the state colleges in Michigan?

We are in the Grand Rapids area, and my son goes to Grand Valley State University. BUt really, my college experience here is so limited, I can't be much help. Ferris state did not offere the classes my sons wanted and GVSU was close to home, so they both went there.

Grand Valley is the 12th school, the one that offered ds a scholarship even though he did not complete an application or submit a transcript, etc. Ferris has an Honors program with single rooms in the dorms for Honors kids - that was the attraction. Now that ds has gone from "I dunno - history? Undecided" to "Biology!!!" as a major, it looks like Ferris has a strong program in that area.

Will find out this Saturday. I just hope stupid lake effect snow doesn't cause a problem driving there. I have to get through Chicago, swoop across the top of Indiana and up Michigan.

Not from a parent's perspective, but my husband is completing his BAS from Ferris this semester.

He has never been to the campus (He is a transfer student and takes classes at Macomb Community college campus) but it's a good school--great reputation. I remember way back when I was in high school, there were quite a few students in my senior class happily heading off to Ferris.

Growing up here it seems like everyone wanted to go to Michigan State, U of M or maybe Michigan Tech if they stayed in-state or didn't go to a private school. Ferris was relatively new and didn't have much reputation yet. You'd have to compare the average test scores to see how it ranks these days. It's not much to look building wise. Not much of a town.

I'm from Northern lower Michigan. My brother graduated from Ferris and has been very successful.

Big Rapids is not a metropolis. I value this aspect. I would choose it over a larger state school for my Homechool Children.

My children will probably attend Western - just because we live 20 miles away and own several homes in Kalamazoo that they can live in.

Anyone from Big Rapids or thereabouts? Or familiar with the state colleges in Michigan?

...with a BS in Computer Information Systems. My grandfather, father, 2 uncles & some cousins all graduated from Ferris as well (all Pharmacy except my dad). It is a medium-sized campus in a very small town. The only reason (I think) that the town is still there is because of Ferris. The classes and campus are not so big that you get lost in the crowd but big enough that you don't feel like you're attending a community college. I got a first-rate education there -- I learned things I have actually needed to use on the job. :) I don't know "liberal" or "conservative" -- but remember, I was in the geek dept!

(btw: thanks for the tip about doing FAFSA in their junior year)