Menu

Copywork: What do you use for it?

JadeOrchidSong

I use it as a supplement for spelling, grammar, great sentences, and vocabulary. My son copies my example that is done in cursive in his notebook in cursive so I also use as handwriting practice. We then discuss the sentence and words and grammar;)

AO Copywork message board has good copywork in its file section that I have found useful since it uses great literature as copywork:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AOCopywork/?yguid=264101912

Of course, depending on your child's age, how much you assign will vary. My son is 8 and does a couple of sentences a day.

I take poems and verses from What Your Kindergartener Should Know and have my dd copy a line a day. We just finished Old King Cole today and then she cuts out her sentences and pastes them up on background paper that we hang in the school/play room. I plan to take them down at the end of the year and put them in a binder for her. She loves doing it and hearing all the "old" language, as she calls it. :)

Tomorrow, she'll be starting on learning what a Haiku is, via copywork. I found a haiku that explains haiku here: http://www.kidzone.ws/poetry/haiku.htm

Guest Cindie2dds
I've used our memory work (Bible verses, poetry, and a few quotes). Zaner Bloser has a free copywork generator here.

Thank you! Now I can print out.....

AO Copywork message board has good copywork in its file section that I have found useful since it uses great literature as copywork:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AOCopywork/?yguid=264101912

AO's copywork, which I was trying to find! :)

You guys are great! Thank you.

We used regular handwriting paper for copywork.

The copy material might be anything...poetry, Bible verses, a short passage from a current favorite book, copywork assignment in FLL or other curricula. When they were younger, I'd occasionally have them dictate something that they were interested in to me. I'd be their scribe and write their words down, so then they could copy it without worrying about spelling, etc. This was usually something like a special occasion or a nature-event that they experienced. Then they were naturally motivated to copy the stuff down. :)

I use a graded writing tablet and write out the passage for them, for my littles that is. By third grade I can just point to the line in a book and have them copy straight from that.

Our copywork assignments come from good books they're reading, a read aloud, science or history.