Menu

High School History Curriculum?

If you want something more layed out for you, TOG is great. The problem with TOG is they don't have just one year dedicated to U S History. If you want to cover all of U S History, you'll have to use parts of year 2, parts of year 3, and parts of year 4. TOG (Tapestry of Grace) follows the four-year-cycle for history and so covers all of history, including world, in those years. It's a great program for high schoolers.

combo. Since I have 7 kids, I've decided to keep them all on the same page for history, and assign harder books and assignments for the high schoolers. This means we've used TWTM recommendations along with BF study guides, TQ and the worldview list from greatbooks.com

hth,

jodi

We used Omnibus 1 and 2 for 9th and 10th grade, and are using Sonlight 300 (history and some of the lit) this year. We supplemented with Spielvogel and Barron's World History the Easy Way. Spielvogel has very little for 20th Century.

Next year, I'm hoping ds will take a one semester gov't class at high school, and a Renaissance/Explorers class. He can take two public school classes and still be considered a homeschooler.

Notgrass American History - very easy to use, interestingly written

Truthquest History - great book lists and wonderful commentary from a godly perspective

Bob Jones U.S. History - good traditional text, has activity pages and tests, good resource to get kids used to taking tests.

We decided that we would not be able or really happy with the WTM mode for high school social studies/lit etc. We just were not really geared that way, so we did BJUP's World Geography in 9th grade, skipped social studies in 10th and added a computer programming course, and did Am Hist this year with Notgrass for 11th. We don't know yet if we will do Ancient or World next year...we may even go the CC route.

I highly recommend Notgrass American History. My younger daughter liked the easy to understand text, the historical novels and especially the original documents and speeches. The Notgrass family is very kind and helpful. We have enjoyed getting to meet them.

http://www.notgrass.com

My older daughter used Sonlight 7 (US History) about 7 years ago. I recommend Sonlight also, but my younger dd preferred Notgrass.