Menu

Supplementing MUS?.....

Another Lynn

I'm sorry to ask this again. I did a "search" and still didn't see very many responses. I know a lot of folks supplement with Singapore, but I'm wondering if others supplement with something else to fill in "sequence" gaps and also for extra practice/drill.

I've considered switching us to Horizons, but I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on the conceptual foundation that MUS lays. But I'm guessing Horizons and MUS would be overkill? or maybe confusing? I'm also concerned about knowing our facts cold. We have quartermile math, but wondering if speed drills on paper would be a good idea.

Thanks for humoring me and sharing your experiences!

We have supplemented MUS Gamma this year with Singapores Challenging Word Problems 2. It has been a very good fit. We do a complete lesson in MUS, then a few pages in CWP. It hasn't been confusing at all- ds actually really likes the CWP and looks forward to the "MUS off-days". I'm planning on continuing with this combo.

How old is your dc? For K-2nd, all I'm supplementing MUS with is math games. We have "shut the box" (http://www.boardgamecentral.com/games/shutthebox.html) that we play with regularly and I also use the book

"Games for Math" by Peggy Kaye.

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Math-Peggy-Kaye/dp/0394755103/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206467272&sr=8-3

Mental math is done in the car, at the dinner table, while lying in bed...

HTH!

plan to keep using Saxon 1 intermittently once we get into a rhythm w/ MUS. I still like the varied topics of Saxon, but ds6 needed a break and a more "fun" program. I also use Sinpapore's CWP to supplement my ds8's Saxon 3 program b/c I feel Saxon is lacking in the applied math dept. Typically, we do 4days Saxon, 1 day CWP for him and sometimes if Saxon is light on a certain day, we'll do a few CWP in addition to Saxon. I can't say how I will combine Saxon and MUS for ds6, yet. We're still "getting our feet wet" with MUS.

I use Singapore along with Alpha for my dd. She loves math and can do both programs so far. She also will do drill sheets printed off MUS site and Math Windows for fact practice. My ds does drill sheets from MUS and flashcards. Occasionally, I will give him some Challenging Word problems from Singapore. I mostly supplement him for fact practice, as math is not his strongest subject. HTH

Blessings,

Pat

We use Quarter Mile Math computer program for speed starting in Alpha. I am also planning on using the Focus on Math series soon with my son who is in Delta.

http://rainbowresource.com/search.php?sid=1206478398-1161575

The only things I have found that need supplementing so far are basic geometry (shapes really), measurement and unique word problems.

HTH!

We are doing MUS Beta as our main, 3 days per week and Singapore 2A 1 day per week or for fun. I like the foundation of MUS but I think it's important to learn math from different perspectives. Next year I plan to do Singapore Word Problems.

This is what we do as well. :)

We use Math U See, and I use the software from Schoolhouse Technologies to create daily drill sheets. I got the idea from someone on the boards last year. Math U See is great for learning concepts, but what I found after testing with the IOWA is that my dc needed practice on speed with basic facts. The software was free when I downloaded it, and I think it still is. Here's the link: http://www.schoolhousetech.com/Math/Default.aspx

Here is what I wrote in answer to a similar post recently:

"What I have done for both my sons is supplement MUS with drill sheets (no fun, but necessary) and in first and second grades with Abeka's student books. All we do with Abeka are the non-computational things - time, temperature, graphs, money, etc. I circle the numbers of the problems he needs to do (3-5 per 2-sided worksheet) and he does them.

"I've also supplemented with Singapore word problems

"This year for my older son (5th grade - Epsilon) we've supplemented with Key to Fractions."

Also - we've used QuarterMile Math and Calculadders.

Best,

Heather

progress.gif

We have supplemented MUS Gamma this year with Singapores Challenging Word Problems 2. It has been a very good fit. We do a complete lesson in MUS, then a few pages in CWP. It hasn't been confusing at all- ds actually really likes the CWP and looks forward to the "MUS off-days". I'm planning on continuing with this combo.

Will you post a link to this exact book so I know what I'm looking at? DD9 is at the end of Gamma now. I think this book would be great for her. Also. does "2" mean second grade? Would that be what I should look for?

Guest Amy in MS

Hi there,

We use ABEKA math on MWF and Math U See on T/TR. Daughter likes the variety and pretty pictures and range of activities. I like the fundamentals she gets with MUS, but really wanted something to supplement.

Amy