Menu

home school "reference library"?

Lucy the Valiant

Tell me what the rules are for books in your house . . . as far as kids having access to them. Right now, my girls are in trouble for abusing the privilege (I found TONS of books in their bed, under their bed, in the crack between the bed and the wall, etc. . . . pages folded down, covers messed up, etc.).

I want them to have access to good books, but I'm seriously considering making a "library" with library cards, and they can "check out" ONE book at a time (other than the huge shelf of books they own in their room, I mean :tongue_smilie:).

Ideas?

I'm looking for . . . low maintenance, protecting the books, and giving the kids access.

We have three sets of bookshelves. The first set of shelves are for the books that can be found in the bed, under the bed, in the car, outside, etc. I really don't worry about what happens to them at all. The second set are the kids reference/school books. These can be used at any time, but need to be kept "good" and put back. The third set of shelves are the reserved books. These require permission to use. They are either expensive, OOP, needed by more than one child or contain adult content.

My DS8 has full access to any and all books, but he knows the rules -- books must be placed flat or stacked neatly, bookmarks must be used, do not eat/drink when reading, be gentle with the pages, etc. I have baskets around the house for him to put the books when he is finished, which somewhat contains the mess, and I have a stack of bookmarks on every bookcase. Personally, I think part of raising book-lovin' children is for them to have open access to books.

Books, oh books. My kids have gotten in trouble many times with books. I think in part, it is a live and learn experience. At least in our house. You didn't mention your girl's ages, but I'm assuming they're young?

The initial thing we did was have a book bin. These books were open to anyone at anytime. These books are torn, broken, etc. They are taped together with every kind of tape. Multiple times. I was more concerned about the kids playing and reading (or pretending to) the books than the books themselves. If something happened to a book, I always reminded them that is not how we treat books.

Now, with our current bookshelves, the kids are allowed access to only certain shelves. My son (5) is pretty good. His latest favorites have been the encylopedias (the giant picture books!) and I have let him take those out, 1 or 2 at a time. I've been allowing my daughter (2) a little more leniency as she is getting better with them. I do have to accept that anything she plays with might get ripped. I keep that in mind when seeing what she has.

My kids love their books. It is not uncommon for them to load up baby strollers and shopping carts and hide out in their rooms for hours with them. Anything I don't want ruined are off limits. Otherwise, I try to have a large selection on hand. It has worked well so far and my kids just love their books.