Menu

PA Homeschoolers AP courses-

Hi All,

Our oldest will be in 9th grade in the fall, and we've heard a lot about AP courses thru' PA homeschoolers. I'd really like to know which courses/instructors were really good & prepared your dc for the AP exam and which might be better to skip.

Also, any PA Homeschoolers AP courses you all would recommend for a 9th grader that aren't as rigorous? I'd like dc to get a feel for AP but, perhaps not overwhelm her along with her other course load...

This is all new territory so any advice would be GREAT! :)

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

I'm looking at STatistics for my 10th grader. I was about to post a question here, but I"ll just piggyback on this thread. How exactly do these classes work. Do they sit in front of a computer for an hour or two with everyone? How does that work? Then they do all of their work and send it in?? We don't have dial-up, but our connection isn't lightning fast either? What are the breaks and such? I tried to look on their site, but is it up to the instructor? If you go on vacation, what do you do??

Christine

DS took US Gov with them. He loved the class (he loves politics) and did well on the exam. They did not have to be on-line all at the same time. The instructor sent out written notes, lectures etc and they had a board sort of like a yahoo group where the students asked and answered questions. Their grade was based on the tests, essay question answers and participation on this board. There were no real papers - just the one-page at the most answers to the essay questions from the AP test.

My daughter took AP Statistics last year with Carole Matheny who posts on this board as Blue Hen. I recommend the class; it was well organized and informative. My daughter was well prepared for the exam and scored a five.

No, the students do not have a common meeting time. They are assigned work which they turn in via email or by posting on the board. There was a daily posting that they were expected to read, and there were activities that were due by a given deadline. They had the opportunity to interact with other students via a common bulletin board.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm trying to decide if dd (entering 9th) should try an AP next year instead of yet another history curriculum (I was thinking if she tried AP, took the AP test, scores decent at least it my count towards college credit). I wonder if AP US govt would be too much for a 9th grader.. I know its hard to tell b/c so much depends on dc. She is self-motivated, but I know AP has a big work load, just wondering what others thought and if there are any other AP courses thru' PA homeschoolers that maybe be not as rigorous? I don't want to overwhelm her in her first hs year! (perhaps I'm worrying about nothing... I am confused! :tongue_smilie:)

Thanks for your help!!

Sangita

I saw Human Geography listed also on the PA Homeschoolers website and wondered if this would be a good "get your feet wet" AP course.

In your opinion, For next year (9th grade) if dd took AP Human Geography should she also take a history course (perhaps omnibus III or TOG, etc)?

Is geography considered history? or do colleges like to see history alongside?

Thanks SO much!

Sangita

This chart from the College Board shows how many kids in each of grades 9 through 12 took the various AP exams last year.

Human Geography appears to be a very popular choice with ninth graders. We don't have any experience here with that particular exam, but if I was going to start out with a ninth grader, I'd be tempted to look at that one.

Geography is considered a social science, just like history. There's no need to double up with geography and history unless that's your daughter's passion. Colleges will consider them to be in the same category. (On my kids' transcripts, we use the label "social sciences", not "history" as that category heading).

~Kathy

Ds. is doing AP US Govt. and Politics this year. It was his choice. If your child is very interested in politics and current affairs it is doable. He is also doing Human Geography which he finds easy (he has been a couple of times to the State Geo Bee). It involves a lot of heavy reading, good time management skills, and lots of new vocabulary. Motivation and interest is key for a ninth grader to do this. He is doing well in both these classes with PA Homeschoolers so far. We'll see how he does on the exam. Go with your child's passions and let her pick a subject she wants to go a little deeper. Also, good close reading skills and essay writing skills are also helpful.

HTH!

Geography is considered a social science, just like history. There's no need to double up with geography and history unless that's your daughter's passion. Colleges will consider them to be in the same category. (On my kids' transcripts, we use the label "social sciences", not "history" as that category heading).

I agree with the above. (I used Social Studies on my daughter's transcript though now I think Social Sciences has a more mature sound.)

Regards,

Kareni

I'm looking at STatistics for my 10th grader. I was about to post a question here, but I"ll just piggyback on this thread. How exactly do these classes work. Do they sit in front of a computer for an hour or two with everyone? How does that work? Then they do all of their work and send it in?? We don't have dial-up, but our connection isn't lightning fast either? What are the breaks and such? I tried to look on their site, but is it up to the instructor? If you go on vacation, what do you do??

Christine

Hi Christine,

I'm PA HS'ers AP Stat teacher (and long-time WTM'er). AP Stat is doable for a 9th or 10th grader however they must have completed Algebra 2 prior to the course. While AP Stat does not require the student to write essays there is a writing component to the course. AP Stat is a different kind of math course and one a non-math or science student can take and succeed. The stronger the math skills the easier it will be. I do not consider it an easy AP course but it is easier than some other AP courses.

PA HS'er classes operate completely asynchronous using the "community of scholars" model in which students communicate with each other and the teacher through forum posts in our online classroom. This permits students from around the globe to be members of the class without being limited to a particular classroom time. This present school year I have two students living in China and another who traveled to Italy for a few months. This year my students are also IM'ing me via FB, AIM or Windows Live. Sometimes they schedule a time to chat while other times they just 'pop-up' and ask if I have some time to chat.

For my class I schedule breaks for Thanksgiving week, two weeks at Christmas and Easter week. Anytime a family wants to take a vacation week they may, and time extensions are given to the student. I've given time extensions for college visits, debate tournaments, national science competitions, illness and really anytime a parent requests an extension.

Glad to answer any questions you might have about the course.

Carole

Edited by Blue Hen

Our oldest will be in 9th grade in the fall, and we've heard a lot about AP courses thru' PA homeschoolers. I'd really like to know which courses/instructors were really good & prepared your dc for the AP exam and which might be better to skip.

My oldest DS has taken through PA HSers: Biology, Chemistry, Lang, Statistics, Computer Science, Calculus and Economics. (I teach their Statistics course)

This response really surprised me: I've had girls tell me that PA HS'ers AP Lang taken in 9th grade was really easy for them. My DS struggled with the course--often spending 4-6hrs/day on the course!---however he does not like to write. Personally I would never recommend it as a first AP course but I know several families who did this when their 9th grader loved to write and already wrote very well and the kids (all girls) loved the course. I cannot imagine doing this as a first course but these families still recommend it as a first AP course.

My oldest loved AP Bio, really, really enjoyed the course, the teacher and I believe it is still his favorite PA HS'ers course. I would never, ever enroll my youngest son into the class. He just isn't into that subject. I am considering having my youngest take AP Stat next year as a 9th grader because he is really into statistics.

I would suggest to think about what subject areas your child enjoys and then investigate that subject area for their first AP course. If you let us know some possible subject areas then we might be able to give you a bit more guidance.

Carole