Menu

So, my state now requires three lab sciences as a graduation requirement...

...and I have no idea where to begin.

I'm thinking the basic three would be biology, chemistry, and physics...but I had been looking forward to covering earth science, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't qualify as a lab science.

Which programs (along with lab supplements and all of the necessary teacher helps) have you all used with success?

TIA!

Patty

I'm using Oak Meadow's biology program with my middle dd this year. I am not using their teacher service. It schedules the entire Holt Biology textbook over 36 weeks. That means that it schedules 2 chapters for some weeks. My dd is only able to manage 1 chapter each week, so she will be working on it through the summer. They have a lab kit, but it is pretty basic. There is a lab nearly every week, but many of the labs are paper labs where you are given the data and have to analyze it. That's fine with me.

I plan to use Oak Meadow's Chemistry program. They use the Prentice Hall textbook. I don't know yet if I'm going to do chemistry or physics next year. I do recommend doing chemistry before biology though. All the biology textbooks go heavily into biochemistry at the beginning and that part would be much easier after chemistry.

I was using Hewitt's Conceptual Physics with my oldest up until Friday. I have finally given up on it. There just isn't enough math in the program for the physics to make sense. I am switching to Giancoli's Physics. I'm working through the chapter on fluids right now. Giancoli has a much better presentation of the topic than Hewitt did.

WE used Apologia Bio (I feel the labs were weak) and Chemistry (again, on the weaker side). You could do Astronomy with the labs mentioned in WTM. You could also do an Environmental Science semester with labs--We used Sustaining the Earth and added some of our own labs. There's also CC classes.

We did the college Conceptual Chemistry text last semester & did most of the Micro Chem labs along with it, although not the one the text has because we just can't afford all that equipment. Next year we're doing Conceptual Physics (also the college one) and will do labs with that on our own. I'm not sure what we're going to do for Biology yet, but dd is still a freshman. All of that said, dd will be doing some AP level science later in high school since she's either science or math bound (depends on the day, but usually science.)

We did the college Conceptual Chemistry text last semester & did most of the Micro Chem labs along with it, although not the one the text has because we just can't afford all that equipment. Next year we're doing Conceptual Physics (also the college one) and will do labs with that on our own. I'm not sure what we're going to do for Biology yet, but dd is still a freshman. All of that said, dd will be doing some AP level science later in high school since she's either science or math bound (depends on the day, but usually science.)

I'm curious about something. I often read posters mention that they have used Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Am I the only person who taught 9th grade physical science using Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science ?? Just interested.

...and I have no idea where to begin.

I'm thinking the basic three would be biology, chemistry, and physics...but I had been looking forward to covering earth science, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't qualify as a lab science.

Which programs (along with lab supplements and all of the necessary teacher helps) have you all used with success?

TIA!

Patty

In my state, homeschoolers are not bound by the state's graduation requirements, so I disregard those, and instead, strive to meet admissions requirements of the colleges to which my children plan to apply. Often, these are VASTLY different.

In my state, homeschoolers are not bound by the state's graduation requirements, so I disregard those, and instead, strive to meet admissions requirements of the colleges to which my children plan to apply. Often, these are VASTLY different.

Yes, this is why I posted the thread about who has to follow state requirements (and therefore gets a state-issued diploma).

We also just saw what the colleges wanted and went from there. And 3 lab sciences is not all that unusual...

I'm curious about something. I often read posters mention that they have used Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Am I the only person who taught 9th grade physical science using Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science ?? Just interested.

No, you are not alone. My daughter did:

9th: Hewitt's Conceptual Physical Science

10th: Chemistry with the MicroChem Kit for lab

11th: Geology with lab (at the community college)

12th: Environmental Science with lab (at the community college)

Regards,

Kareni

This is true but our colleges are looking for 3 - 4 years of lab sciences so it's what needs to be done regardless of what the schools are looking for. And if the colleges say their requirements are less than what the high school is requiring to graduate, then it's the bare minimum and you'd better bank on being at least at the high school graduation level - because your child's competition for admission will be.

Heather

This is true but our colleges are looking for 3 - 4 years of lab sciences so it's what needs to be done regardless of what the schools are looking for. And if the colleges say their requirements are less than what the high school is requiring to graduate, then it's the bare minimum and you'd better bank on being at least at the high school graduation level - because your child's competition for admission will be.

Heather

:iagree:We are planning on 4 years of science in order to prepare for college.

There is a local science co-op that uses this book along with BJU Physical Science textbook and another chemistry text to teach Integrated Physics and Chemistry (ICP) for 9-10th graders.

Heather

Yes, this. Also, there is a chance (however slight) that my dd may be attending the local high school in sophomore or junior year, so I referenced their graduation requirements to use as the bare minimum for our at-home program, should she matriculate there in the future.

Patty

I'm using Oak Meadow's biology program with my middle dd this year. I am not using their teacher service. It schedules the entire Holt Biology textbook over 36 weeks. That means that it schedules 2 chapters for some weeks. My dd is only able to manage 1 chapter each week, so she will be working on it through the summer. They have a lab kit, but it is pretty basic. There is a lab nearly every week, but many of the labs are paper labs where you are given the data and have to analyze it. That's fine with me.

I plan to use Oak Meadow's Chemistry program. They use the Prentice Hall textbook. I don't know yet if I'm going to do chemistry or physics next year. I do recommend doing chemistry before biology though. All the biology textbooks go heavily into biochemistry at the beginning and that part would be much easier after chemistry.

I was using Hewitt's Conceptual Physics with my oldest up until Friday. I have finally given up on it. There just isn't enough math in the program for the physics to make sense. I am switching to Giancoli's Physics. I'm working through the chapter on fluids right now. Giancoli has a much better presentation of the topic than Hewitt did.

Thank you! I like that Oak Meadow sells a syllabus to accompany their programs. I hadn't even realized they sold these to non-registered families. I wish there was a sample of the syllabus. I'm assuming it has daily lessons/assignments all planned out. Is this correct?

Patty

Yes, this is why I posted the thread about who has to follow state requirements (and therefore gets a state-issued diploma).

We also just saw what the colleges wanted and went from there. And 3 lab sciences is not all that unusual...

Okay, now I'm totally confused. I don't know of any state that issues high school diplomas to home schoolers unless they're enrolled in a virtual school, which is actually a public school at home and not homeschooling. Or...are you saying that it's the colleges you're looking at that want 3 lab sciences? The standard for home schoolers usually is what their ultimate goal is, kwim? In other words, I couldn't care less what the Mass DOE requires in their schools, but I care very much what is required by the colleges/schools my kids are targeting. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the chatter. If so, sorry!

Yolanda

Thank you! I like that Oak Meadow sells a syllabus to accompany their programs. I hadn't even realized they sold these to non-registered families. I wish there was a sample of the syllabus. I'm assuming it has daily lessons/assignments all planned out. Is this correct?

Patty

Yes, and they also sell the teacher/answer guide to homeschoolers, but you have to call and request it.