Menu

Analytical Geometry? Good Biology I course

Guest Lostkeys

Guest Lostkeys

My dd is in the 9th grade and is being tutored in math. After reading various posts on the WTM board, I decided to purchase the Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition Student and teacher texts. I showed them to the tutor this week and she asked about a Geometry text that was more analytical in approach and that she would be happy to purchase if I could find. Could someone suggest a geometry text of this nature?

I need a recommendation for a challenging Bio I course: and, I'm open to any recommendations for either online or home study. Unfortunately, our cc doesn't offer courses until a child is 16.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Lostkeys

The Houghton-Mifflin (McDougal Littel sp?) is a good geometry course if you have a tutor. There are few examples, the student is expected to analyze each problem and come up with a solution. The problems are in three categories - a, b and c. The higher b questions require a lot of thought, and for those who need or like more of a challenge, the c questions are available. This course gives LOTS of practice in two column proofs. I've seen the new Saxon geometry course, and it's very wimpy in comparison to this one. I haven't seen Jacobs to know how it compares.

I know Apologia offers a marine biology text, but I don't know how rigorous it is. HTH :)

My dd is in the 9th grade and is being tutored in math. After reading various posts on the WTM board, I decided to purchase the Jacobs Geometry 3rd edition Student and teacher texts. I showed them to the tutor this week and she asked about a Geometry text that was more analytical in approach and that she would be happy to purchase if I could find. Could someone suggest a geometry text of this nature?

I need a recommendation for a challenging Bio I course: and, I'm open to any recommendations for either online or home study. Unfortunately, our cc doesn't offer courses until a child is 16.

Thank you for your help!

Do you have a tactful way of reminding the tutor that the materials need to be a good "fit" for the student, rather than necessarily meet her preferences? I say this only because my "math excelling" husband taught one son using Jacobs' 3rd ed. geometry, and the text met his exacting standards. Our son responded very well to the book, too. Is it possible that your tutor just is unfamiliar with the textbook, and "likes" a different approach ? (My son went into college with this book under his belt, and did well.) I hope you don't object to these thoughts.

Although I am not partisan of ABeka's worldview, I like their high school biology course very much, and have used it twice.

Guest Lostkeys

Hello! I'm looking for a high school geometry recommendation. My daughter's tutor is used to teaching and tutoring at a college level and I think that is where she is coming from. She commented that my dd would be using protractor, compass, graph paper, etc. a lot with the Jacobs, and she (the tutor) is used to tutoring hs students who would bring in problems that used analytical thinking. I did not take most of the higher maths in hs, so I'm absolutely ignorant of what she is asking me to find. I think you are correct in that she may be looking for a more advanced level than what my dd should be taught at this point.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Edited by Lostkeys

Jacobs has very little in the way of coordinate Geometry. This is one of the current trends that is also tested on the ACT/SAT.

It is HARD to tutor Jacobs Geometry because most of the questions are --"draw this then tell me what you think of it"--especially in the first half of the text. Also: If you think like Jacobs then it is a great text...

Additionally with Jacobs there are VERY VERY few 'real' problems (real as in more traditional)... such as basic formula work... Instead of giving a student 10 or so problems to practice on finding the area of assorted Trapezoids, the student may have one 'activity' where they need to find the area of a Trapezoid followed by 5-10 questions on what you 'think' about the reationships...(not enough practice for MOST of my students) not much guiding in HOW to think--he just asks what you think... I was just writing another post about how this program works great for SOME students and is a DISASTER for many others.

While I'm confident in my abilities as a Math teacher to 'lead' a student through the Jacobs (3rd edition) text--- I will NOT be teaching from it again--and I will NOT tutor from it either... there are other programs that have more room to 'adapt' to individual student's needs.

I do not think your tutor was asking for you to find an 'Analytical Geometry' text--but rather a program that uses a more traditional type of learning.

I'm using Holt Geometry 2007 edition with my online classes next fall-- Dr Burger (from Thinkwell) is the author and he has also made FREE video lessons for students who use this text (you must use the codes in the student text to access the video lessons). I like the text--but it will be a PAIN to decide what to teach and what to leave out--there is so much in there... and the supplementary materials are awesome! I've also used the 1991 Holt Geomtry with many students.

Edited by Jann in TX

Guest Lostkeys

Thank you Jann. You clarified the situation for me. You are correct in that she is asking for a more traditional text. I will check into your recommendations!

Many thanks!

Rhonda