Menu

Standardized tests: How concerned should I be?

Sue G in PA

Ds8 (3rd gr.) is required to take a standardized test this year. I am terrified for him! Not only is this the same child who fights me all the time when we do formal academics, this child has never even SEEN a test like this! I plan to go over the procedure with him...how to fill in the answers, read questions, narrow down answers, etc., but I just know he will not do well. NOT b/c he isn't smart...but b/c he isn't good with tests. When we had him tested at the elem. school over the summer when we thought he'd go to ps this year...he basically refused to do the problems (math) and told me he purposely messed up the spelling b/c it was "baby work". Stubborn will on this one. So, those of you in PA...if he doesn't do well...what will happen? They can't tell me I can't hs him anymore, can they?

CO requires alternate year testing starting in 3rd, so this is my dd's first test ever. I had a frank discussion with her about the tests - it is to judge how well I am teaching no how smart she is and the test is required by law. The by law part has kept her serious about the tests so far.

I am having her do some generic test prep books to practice how to answer the questions (and to make sure that I've actually generally covered the areas). In CO, the minimum percentile before flags are raised it really really low. You should find out what the minimum score is and give some practice tests.

Oregon also requires testing at the end of third grade as its first standardized test. The description of the process in Oregon for if your student doesn't test well allayed my fears a bit; as I remember, you are allowed to retest the following year, if the results aren't well that year, you might have supervision the next year. It wasn't an immediate yanking of the student from the homeschool environment.

DD tested last year for the first time and I was more worried than she was. We did a practice test at home. It was helpful to get her see what the testing mode was like, and for me to see where she was lacking in some areas. For example, we hadn't covered that "R" stood for remainder in the answer to a division problem. I also saw that she wasn't making a final choice for some answers - she wrote that she had two answer choices for a few, and we talked about machine grading not being able to figure that out.

She ended up doing well, but I also stressed the fact that even if the test helps to show what she learned during the year, it is only a snapshot, and can also depend on how she was feeling / doing that day. It wasn't the be-all-end-all determination of her learning.

Perhaps you could stress that it shows the state a picture of his current learning. If he were going to have his picture taken and sent to someone or to appear in the newspaper for others to see, would he want to purposely look silly by sticking his tongue out or such?

Having experienced it, my advice is do what you can to prepare your child and encourage them. Then you've done your best and can't do any more.

Erica in OR

Whoa....it must be tough to homeschool a kid that stubborn! You poor thing! What about a bribe for good effort (ice cream shop visit, a new toy, a fun outing, etc.) and practicing with a Spectrum test prep workbook?

ETA, we are required to test here in Minnesota but we don't have to turn in the results to anyone, it is just for the teacher's information. I assume you have to use a specific written test and the state gets the results? If you were here I would suggest a mostly oral test like the Peabody. The tester even comes to your house to give it so it's pretty easy on the test phobic kid.

Edited by RanchGirl

Here is what Pauline says on her PA website about testing (read the whole page; it's very helpful information).

It looks like for PA, you would not have to include the results in your portfolio.

Also, I gave my kids a standardized test a few years back. They took the CAT Survey, which I ordered from SETON if I recall correctly. I had my dd with major learning differences take it. She did fine. They only have to score in something like the 30th percentile where I live. Also, maybe if you are administering the test, he won't feel as bad about taking it? If you are not allowed to administer the test in PA, then I think I would hire someone to come to my home to give him the test. Also, if he is 8 now, do you consider him second or third grade? I might just bump him down a grade to give him an extra year, but that's just me, especially if he won't be 9 until the end of the year of summer.

Would really tick me off if the state said I couldn't hs anymore or had me supervised b/c he scored low. What do they do with all the kids who score low in ps? What do they do with all THOSE teachers? Fire them? HAHAHAHA! Never. Stupid double standard. Sorry...rant over. Thanks everyone!

My mom said that if they don't do well in school... that they should have to send them home :-)

Would really tick me off if the state said I couldn't hs anymore or had me supervised b/c he scored low. What do they do with all the kids who score low in ps? What do they do with all THOSE teachers? Fire them? HAHAHAHA! Never. Stupid double standard. Sorry...rant over. Thanks everyone!

What is really scary is the thought that 2 of my 3 are going to score low whether they are in ps or at home b/c they have some learning issues. I expect that they will do better at home than they would if they spent the year in ps, but the test of course can't measure that!

(Not that I have to test next year, but this is something I worry about for future years.)

...this the same child who fights me all the time when we do formal academics...

...he basically refused to do the problems (math) and told me he purposely messed up the spelling b/c it was "baby work".

Honestly I think I would focus hard for a while on character - doing your very best with a great attitude. Whether the task is something you want to or not. You always try hard, even if it is easy. You do it with a smile, even if it isn't fun. If I had a dollar for everytime I talked about that at my house...

We have also talked at length about what that looks like for ME. I don't always feel like making lunch for the kids. What if I didn't do my best? What if I just gave them a piece of bread? What if I just didn't do it at all? What if I had a bad attitude about it? What if I just tossed the plate on the table in their direction and stomped off? How would that make them feel? Would that make them enjoy their lunch? Would it make them enjoy being with me? As an adult, we are *expected* to do our best with a good attitude. So we have to start teaching our kids this important skill. Imagine the world if everyone did - you would never wait on a cashier to finish her nails or cell phone conversation so you could pay! Etc.

The upside is that after really focusing on that phrase for a few months, when I ask my kids to do something they don't want to, if they start to protest I will raise an eyebrow, and they will giggle and say "oh Mommy, I would LUUUUUV to!" And run off to get it done.

Edited by MeganW