Menu

help with fostering application

hi,

I live in Australia, so I realize that things go a little differently here, but would love some advice anyway.

we have applied to foster children form an agency that specifically deals with disabled children. We picked this organisation because the application process is easier, you don't have to do 6 months of courses, and my mum works for this organisation in a different section, not the fostering section .

we have put our application in, and had a house inspection and been interviewed. the head of the organization actually traveled 500km to do the interview personally. She was very positive, she was very excited that we are interested in a child with siblings, as this is very rare.

Here is my problem. As they were leaving they explained the last part of the process, and said we will have another visit from the social worker to profile us, and she said that she will need to talk to the children!!!!

I have always been terrified of social workers, I am not keen on them talking to my kids. Only 2 of my kids are keen on fostering, one is undecided ( depends on the child), one won't talk to me about it, I have one child that isn't keen on it at all.

what kind of questions do you think they will ask my children? will they ask them about homeschooling? my children aren't very talkative, in fact they are very quiet.

on the positive side , my mother told me that the ladies that interviewed us were very impressed, they thought we were a lovely family, that our place is ideal for children, and they have already in mind 2 little girls that they think would fit in beautifly , they are also planing to fast track my application because they think these girls would fit in so well.

They actually mentioned these little girls to me, one has a low IQ and can't speak, the other one is normal. they are sisters and younger than 6.

Am I panicking unnecessarily about the social worker?

I remember getting nervous about this part too, but it was really no big deal. They might ask your dc how they feel about fc, but they don't expect everyone to be on board 100%. I would discuss this life changing process with the dc to at least understand where everyone is coming from.

Best wishes on your journey!