Menu

Need wisdom on Science Sequence & Outsourcing

I am in need of Hive wisdom regarding science for ds (7th gr in the fall).

Ds is very science-minded (wants to pursue engineering/science). Reads DNA books "for fun," is into electronics/robotics, understands advanced concepts, etc. We've dabbled in BJU science (4th), Apologia (Gen Science), various DVDs, nature walks, etc. He is mostly self-taught in this subject.

My two concerns: SEQUENCE & OUTSOURCING

I'm trying to figure out his 7th-12th grade science sequence. I've read some arguments for Physics first (conceptually) > Chemistry > Biology > Advanced Physics. Makes sense to me, so I am leaning toward this but keeping an open mind.

SEQUENCE: Here's what I've been thinking:

7th Life Science or Earth Science or ?

8th Physical Science, Conceptual Physics or ?

9th Chemistry

10th Biology

11th AP Physics

12th Other advanced science

Any thoughts on this? What are some options for 7th/8th grade that would lend well to the high school sequence?

OUTSOURCING: My dh is an engineer/science-minded but limited in time, and I'm not strong in science. Dh can help but I do need to outsource.

What to do in 7th? My main concern is LABS & RIGOR. We haven't done much in the form of experiments...doesn't he need to learn the proper structure for labs before high school? This is my main failing; with everything going on, experiments don't usually get done around here. If he takes an outside class If he takes an online class or use a DVD he would still need to do labs at home, so I guess it would be time for me to suck it up and do it, yes?

Mulling over:

1. Online class such as Potter's School or (suggestions?)

2. Local homeschool class #1: uses BJU Life Science (however, schedule may conflict with ours)

3. BJU Life Science using DVD

4. Apologia Physical Science

5. Any other ideas?

Your wisdom would be MUCH appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Thanks, Carmen! He would be taking Algebra 2 in 9th. Would Alg 2 be a pre-requisite or can it be a co-requisite?

AP Biology is a good suggestion. Everything beyond the next year or two is semi-fluid. Ds mentioned an interest in taking Marine Biology sometime, so we'll have to figure out when to squeeze that in. Maybe a summer course....

Edited by Handmaiden

Thanks, Carmen! He would be taking Algebra 2 in 9th. Would Alg 2 be a pre-requisite or can it be a co-requisite?

AP Biology is a good suggestion. Everything beyond the next year or two is semi-fluid. Ds mentioned an interest in taking Marine Biology sometime, so we'll have to figure out when to squeeze that in. Maybe a summer course....

Co-requisite should be fine. As far as I know Apologia is the only Marine Biology course for homeschoolers. If you hear of others I'd like to know because my daughter is very interested in Marine Biology and I'm not a huge Apologia fan.

Heather

Co-requisite should be fine. As far as I know Apologia is the only Marine Biology course for homeschoolers. If you hear of others I'd like to know because my daughter is very interested in Marine Biology and I'm not a huge Apologia fan.

Heather

For Sea has six sets of lesson plans for high school. Each program has between ten and thirty units.

The Oceans:Historical Perspectives

Ocean Currents and the Open Ocean

Tides and the Rocky Shore

Ocean Waves and Life in the Surf Zone

The Deep Sea

Our Home: The Estuaries

http://www.forsea.org/fsguide.html

Thanks for the ideas! I'll go and check out Scholars Online.

ETA: I just checked it out and it looks great! However, the junior high science classes are held at 6:00 am on the west coast! Not doable for this particular kid.

I'll wait to see what their schedule is for next fall. Maybe they will adjust the time to be more west coast friendly.

Any other ideas for 7th & 8th science before high school?

Edited by Handmaiden

I do not have wisdom on this but I will share with you what we have decided. My daughter is looking at something in medicine but probably not MD. And that is not to say that we want to do less just to say that she may want to take time off to raise kids and would like to not be $250K in debt when she gets out. :) We are thinking optometry is a good possibility at this point.

7th Apologia Bio with Dive (doing this now. She has done fine with the Apologia part of it adding DIVE to it)

8th Apologia Physical Sci with DIVE

9th Apologia Advanced Bio with the DIVE that applies to that

10th Apologia Chem 1 with DIVE

11th Apologia Physics with DIVE

12th Probably dual enrollment with Chem

Here is the site that explains about DIVE. It is science course work and Lab by DVD. http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=447&sesstime=now On the left you can look at the individual courses offered. You can get these other places, CBD, Amazon, RR etc. They are all over the place. They get good reviews. They I guess were made for BJU and correlate perfectly with them but they have a syllabus for Apologia as well. http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=450&sesstime=now (science is below). HTH :)

Here is the site that explains about DIVE. It is science course work and Lab by DVD. http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=447&sesstime=now On the left you can look at the individual courses offered. You can get these other places, CBD, Amazon, RR etc. They are all over the place. They get good reviews. They I guess were made for BJU and correlate perfectly with them but they have a syllabus for Apologia as well. http://www.diveintomath.com/pageDisplay.cfm?pageno=238ans&zpid=450&sesstime=now (science is below). HTH :)

I was thinking of using BJU with their DVDs. Does DIVE replace the BJU DVDs?

Thanks!