Menu

Current Events Sources for middle school?

Tohru

I'd like my son to start doing some current events studies and was wondering if there is a weekly published magazine for middle school age.

Our political views are middle of the road. We are not too liberal, not too conservative, however we are very "crunchy."

Any suggestions on magazines?

Thanks.

We subscribe to UpFront, the New York Times magazine for middle- and high school that comes out every two weeks. It is superb: a combination of current news analysis, articles on typical life for teens in various countries, and issues (a recent one, for example, was on whether or not teens should be sentenced to life in prison for various crimes). This week's issue has an article on Haiti, an interesting essay on why the 2010 census is controversial, etc. The articles are short but meaty.

You can also go to the New York Times online and find a kids' section tied to more structured lesson plans. After trying both, we prefer UpFront. Would love to know if anyone else uses this.

Scholastic offered their classroom magazines/newletters to individual homeschoolers last year. The subscripton was only $5 for the year. They mostly come 3 times per month; I think December and one other month might just be one or two issues. They are offered by grade level. They were a little shaky getting mine started, but since then they've done okay, I think. I believe I'm only missing an issue or two......