Menu

How would you supplement this Singapore 1B student's work?

hlee

Hi everyone,

My 2nd grader DS has just finished Singapore 1B and I gave him the placement test today to assess his understanding of the material. Out of the 94 total questions, he scored 80% correct. So, not excellent and there are some definite areas of weakness to go back and review. (Double-digit subtraction, definitely, for example!) So, aside from my going back through the mental math sheets together with him, is there anything you would recommend to supplement? I am not looking necessarily for another curriculum, but for something that will be fun and yet allow me to give him extra review where he needs it. I know many of you supplement Singapore with other curricula; for those of you who use Singapore as your main math source, what do you find most helpful for spot-review of specific topics? Would love any and all suggestions. Thanks so much!

You can also use an online worksheet generator or a Kumon workbook.

I've also just re-written the same exact problems from the Singapore book on a new piece of paper, if they didn't get it the first time, they won't realize it's the same problem even a day or two later!

The RS abacus really helped my daughter, we supplement with RS. She also enjoys the games.

Singapore 2A/2B covers subtraction with borrowing in greater detail. You may find that you don't need additional material after you do the second-grade series.

However, I personally add Kumon's Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication books for added drill--we do them alongside our progress through Singapore.

Games for drill...long time Singapore user here. Have him correct what he missed on the test and throw a few practice problems at him daily.

Make sure he understands regrouping/borrowing/carrying. Sometimes a little more depth in place value goes a long way.

Get those facts memorized. Sometimes dc at this age get stuck on figuring out a calculation and when they go back to the problem, they lose their place.

math u see online drill is great

coolmathgames.com

holey cards....my boys love these b/c they think they're racing..and they are :) We have a chart and place stars when they make a new personal best.

drill, drill....more practice on those skills to come...my ds just finished his wb on Wed :) too!

OK, I have not used these, but Moira linked to these supplementary "Math Express" books the other day that emphasize mental math strategies for Singapore Math, and they looked like an intriguing option to me.

Maybe they would help your son?

http://www.singaporemath.com/MathExpress_Speed_Maths_Strategies_s/152.htm

Bill

I like the MathExpress books, but they don't give much in the way of drill. They show the mental strategy and have a few problems to practice - at the early levels, about 10-12 problems.

I'd recommend getting additional workbooks anywhere you can - the Spectrum Math books are okay - and just continue to practice. We did a lot of extra practice with the basic addition and subtraction in 1B (and now in 2B we're needing to keep doing extra practice with subtraction with borrowing).

I like the MathExpress books, but they don't give much in the way of drill. They show the mental strategy and have a few problems to practice - at the early levels, about 10-12 problems.

Yes, but it's precisely because they emphasize the strategy that I wondered if they might be helpful. If the child doesn't quite get the mental math/Singapore-style of subtraction through re-grouping, drill alone might not prove all that useful, no?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car