Menu

About Latin...

dalynnrmc

We have access to a Latin 3yr program that looks to be fantastic (especially if I can get my computer to let me load the CD-ROM)! The problem is that it is an immersion program; the first page of the first book is entirely in Latin! :glare:

My son just turned 9 and we'd love to start him in Latin. He is excellent with grammar (doesn't need any help there, and is doing fantastically with R&S as he finishes bk3). Can someone help me out with the different approaches available, the meanings of each of those, and any suggestions as to what might help us get started with Latin? :bigear:

I want something that will intro him gently, utilizing what he knows already, but without overwhelming him. (He's easily overwhelmed. LOL) I want to use it only for a short time, until he's ready to move into this immersion program I have for free. ;)

TIA!

What is the name of the program? If it is all in Latin, I am not sure that is the best way to go right now, unless you have a solid grasp of Latin and feel comfortable with the immersion method.

The programs that are popular with young students are Lively Latin, Prima Latina (a *very* gentle approach for beginners), and Latin for Children. I would take a look at these programs, and perhaps use your program as supplemental reading once you get going with Latin. :001_smile:

The name of the course is "Cambridge Latin" and, as I said, was given to me by a family member who teaches Latin in a public school setting. And no, I'm not familiar at all with Latin and not comfortable teaching it in an immersion setting like that. We definately need some sort of easier introduction!

Thanks for a few names of programs to start with! I'll check those out first!

What I hope to do is only the first level or two of any given program, and then step into what we already have available. (As a money-saving resource. It's just silly to me to NOT use what I can use for FREE!)

I found a comparison chart at HomeschoolChristian.com but it uses some terms that I'm not familiar with. Some of the listed "approaches" include immersion (which I know), traditional (which is...?), and inductive/deductive. (I'm familiar with what those terms mean, but not in terms of what type of curriculum it is. Read a paragraph and answer the questions?)

Also, it gives the amount of prior Latin knowledge needed. Some say "none, preparation needed" (or, "some, preparation needed" but NOT "some preparation needed). Does anyone know what that means?

I am using Lively Latin with all 4 of mine together and loving it. My older two are ahead but I felt they needed a good foundation to leap to the next step.

Lively Latin isn't too expensive in my opinion because you don't need the DVD's and supplementals necessary for many of the other programs.

The name of the course is "Cambridge Latin" and, as I said, was given to me by a family member who teaches Latin in a public school setting. And no, I'm not familiar at all with Latin and not comfortable teaching it in an immersion setting like that. We definately need some sort of easier introduction!

Thanks for a few names of programs to start with! I'll check those out first!

What I hope to do is only the first level or two of any given program, and then step into what we already have available. (As a money-saving resource. It's just silly to me to NOT use what I can use for FREE!)

I found a comparison chart at HomeschoolChristian.com but it uses some terms that I'm not familiar with. Some of the listed "approaches" include immersion (which I know), traditional (which is...?), and inductive/deductive. (I'm familiar with what those terms mean, but not in terms of what type of curriculum it is. Read a paragraph and answer the questions?)

Also, it gives the amount of prior Latin knowledge needed. Some say "none, preparation needed" (or, "some, preparation needed" but NOT "some preparation needed). Does anyone know what that means?

"Traditional" means standard grammar/translation. The grammar is taught up-front, and then practiced via sentence/passage translation from Latin to English and English to Latin. Texts that use this approach are Henle, Wheelock's, & Galore Park's Latin Prep, to name the few most popular.

Cambridge Latin, Lingua Latina, Ecce Romani are "natural/immersion" methods which teach the grammar, as needed, within the context of a running storyline. If you use this approach, you need to learn to trust the process, and not get overly concerned with the fact that full paradigms and explicit up-front grammar concepts are not taught as they are in standard g/t texts. The grammar is in there, and it is taught, but via different methods.

If you start out with g/t, and then switch to Cambridge, keep these things in mind. What many people do is combine the two approaches by using a standard text as their main text, and an immersion text as their "reader".

That is an option for you. :001_smile:

Thanks, ladies!

A major consideration for us is cost. At this point, I think I'm comfortable with Getting Started With Latin and then moving to the Cambridge in a year or two. If I find at that time that we need a spine-reader format, then I'll look into it again. :)

Thanks again!